Anyone work 3rd shift?

Options
I am a Medical Transcriptionist and recently I accepted a 3rd shift position. I'm concerned about how the adjustment of the new schedule will affect my internal clock moreover my exercise routine. For those of you currently working a graveyard shift, when do you get your workouts in? And did it take awhile for your body to adjust to this new routine? What about eating habits? Did they change? I've come so far, I really want to make adjustments where they are necessary to keep moving forward. So any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    Options
    I don't currently work 3rd shift but I used too.

I would go to the gym on my way home from work. I loved that time because at 6:30am there was almost no one there. Also my eating was opposite or normal. I would eat breakfast when I got up at 8 pm and dinner when I got home at 8 am.
  • shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I work overnights but I have been doing it for a while now so I didn't really have to adjust. My biggest issue is what day to log my food on because I cross two days (I work 7p-3a). I do my workouts at night usually after my little ones go to bed, however on the nights that I work I usually workout earlier in the day before my shift. Your body will take time to adjust to the sleep pattern change and you may find you want to snack more throughout the night shift at least I always have an issue with it.....probably because I get tired and eating keeps me awake, LOL!! Hopefully you will fall into a new routine pretty quickly, I actually like working overnights but it's not for everyone!! Good luck!:yawn:
  • LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I work 11-7. I usually get my workouts in just before (9:30-10:30) or just after (7:30-8:30) my shifts depending on my kids. I would suggest if you have a gym membership going with a 24 hour gym. Some of the best workouts Ive had are on my nights off. You want to keep your sleeping routine and if your wide awake at 1am in the morning, go for a nice hard 2 hour workout.
  • Delphi
    Delphi Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feed back!