HELP! My doctor just told me I'm a DM Type 2 now!

Options
Hey all.
Weighing in at 300# for the last year now. I'm 6' tall so people tell me I carry it well. (Except for the pot belly, always being tired, and having absolutely no stamina anymore)

Went to the doctor last week and did a fasting glucose. Resulted as 129 with an A1C of 6.7. He said I was now a Type 2 Diabetic and put me on glucophage. I'm a dialysis nurse and most of my patients are diabetic. I am scared (and now highly motivated to lose weight).

But now after only 5 days I can feel the weakness creeping in to my resolve.
Are there any other newly (or experienced) diabetics out there?
What do you do? How do you do it? How do you stay motivated?

Need motivation, support, and others in this situation to climb out of this hole with me.
Please reply and/or friend me.

Replies

• husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I'm not a diabetic but did want to offer a bit of encouragement! Hang in there! Your health and life depends on it! Keep focused and keep logging every bite of food that goes into your mouth! You can do this!! :smile:
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    working as a dialysis nurse you definately get to see what WILL happen if you don't take care of yourself. Let that be your biggest motivator. Don't try and set huge goal. Make them small and attainable. Give yourself a reward for meeting those goals. Take it one day at a time. If you fall off the wagon on day, then get back on it the next. I know you can do this. Make sure you are eating often and enough calories for you body.

I just started a nutrition program put out by max muscle. It is really awesome and I have learned a lot about eating enough food, and of course the right foods, so that my body will store lean muscle instead of fat. You may want to look into it. I know several people who have done this program and have had huge success. They are everyday people just like you and me.

Good luck. If you need more info, just request me as a friend and I can get it for you.
  • aubuysgirl
    aubuysgirl Posts: 23
    Options
    Chris, Im not a diabetic but my mom and dad both are..sooo for obvious reasons this is one of my main missions in my weight loss. You can do this! Type two is a result of lifestyle so if you change your lifestyle you can beat this. My mom is already been able to get her medication lowered and her sugar under control. My dad still struggles with it but he works on it..The thing to realize this isnt a DIET, thats a four letter word. Its a lifestyle change.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Chris,

I am not a diabetic, but I know a thing or two about motivation. You are a medical professional, so I don't have to tell you what happens to diabetics who don't take control of their disease. This is your LIFE you are talking about, and the decisions you make now will affect the kind of life you have in the future.

For what its worth, I have a cousin-same age as me to the day--who was diagnosed when she was in her 30's. She decided she was not going to take any meds, and would attempt to control her condition with diet and exercise. That was about 25 years ago. Up to that time, she had been about 50 lbs. overweight. She became a regular at the gym and completely changed her eating habits. She is now in such good shape she is often mistaken for someone in her early 40's-rather than someone now 56. She has never taken a diabetes med in her life.

No one can motivate you. Reach inside yourself and find the resolve that is hiding there. You may find inspiration in the stories of others on this website. You may also consider the effect that your demise has on your family, but ultimately, it is up to YOU!!!

A week after my 55th birthday, I woke up and realized I couldn't bear the thought of continuing to look and feel as I did. I was fortunate to find this website within a couple of days of making this decision, and it has been a life-changing journey since then. I foolishly expected I could lose 100 lbs. in a year. That didn't happen, but during the months I was not actively trying to lose, I did NOT gain--stayed within 5 lbs. of my lowest weight throughout the winter and spring. Now that I am back at it, I am starting to lose again.

For myself, what works is planning so I can like what I am eating, and even have a treat every now and then. In your case, you are going to have to decide if a treat is worth the effect on your sugar levels. If you want to get some good tips for living with diabetes, I suggest you check out webmd. They have a whole section devoted to diabetes, and they offer good info:

http://diabetes.webmd.com/

The posters above me also make some good points.

Good luck to you. :flowerforyou: You CAN do this.
  • merbee
    merbee Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hey Chris. I'm Canadian and I know we count our numbers differently for the blood usgar thing, so I don't know just how good or bad your numbers were there. I can tell you that my doctor likes to see my numbers between 4 and 6. When I started hitting over the 7 mark he put me on metphormin. Took that for about 8 years - then I started losing weight and eating healthier. After just 6 months I am no longer on diabetic drugs any more. My sugars have improved greatly. So keep it up. By the way - I am also no longer on cholesterol meds (average is 5 here in Canada and mine was at 4.4) and my thyroid has also levelled out for the first time in 8 years - so I am EXTREEMly happy about my new eating habits.
  • GrammaPower
    GrammaPower Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    CHRIS! I too am a registered nurse - currently on the side lines due to two lumbar back surgeries & fusion pending. I gained 50 lbs by doing near to nothing - and eating! We know BETTER - but knowing & doing are not the same! I started here on May 1st and have lost 8 lbs, gained 6 lbs of lean muscle mass & never felt better - including my lumbar spine. Just did 60 mins on treadmill @ 3.5 mph at 10% incline! INCREDIBLE! Even I can hardly believe just HOW FAST a body can respond to GREAT nutrition & slow but steady aerobic conditioning & weight training. I can't say I ever had elevated blood sugars or an out of wack A1C, but I empathize WITH YOU! I sought out & have listened to a licenced dietician and now eat more daily than ever - but "clean" nutrient - rich whole, not processed food. Just about everything in my daily routine has changed - very little TV, big decrease in web time, no more couch potatoe! First think hard and set some realistic achievable short term & long range goals; daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly & yearly goals! This is all about LOSING/burning FAT, preserving lean body mass and changing your life for GOOD, one hour at a time if need be! Include me as a friend if you want an "old" Nurse to "talk" to, and HEY - Congrats on QUITTING SMOKING!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris!

Best of luck to you. This community will help keep you motivated. My advice is exercise! Try water aerobic exercises with water resistence equipment (hands and ankles). Jog in place, calestenics, swim, anything to keep moving. This will be less strenuous for you and I find it fun with the new water proof radio I just bought. Exercising in the pool is low impact and much easier than the gym. If you don't have a pool - ask a friend for use of theirs or join a community pool. Good luck - I know you can do it!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris...I'm Chris, too. :)
    And, guess what? I'm also Diabetic. I was diagnosed March 1st. I don't remember what my fasting glucose tests were but my A1C was 6.5 and I was on Metformin (Glucophage). I just returned to the dr. June 7th and my A1C was 5.3! I test every day and I rarely get a number over 130. Most have been 120 or under.

What did I do? I was depressed and scared for a couple of weeks. I watched my father die from complications of the disease 3 yrs. ago. I just made up my mind I wasn't going to be like him. I guess the other motivator was the look I got from the nurse when I picked up my meter. She just had that attitude like, "oh, another that says they're going to try but won't." I made up my mind to prove her wrong!

My best advice, get angry, get depressed, whatever it takes. Then, take a deep breath and realize this is a lifelong journey and you came to a great place filled with people ready to help. :) After that, you have to figure out what works for you. 3 regular meals? 5-6 smaller meals? Either way, work with the number of calories you're given. Of course, we have to watch the carb intake. If you need help or advice, feel free to reach out to me.

Each day does get better the healthier you get. I'm doing things now I never thought I'd ever do! You'll get to that point, too. :) Hang in there!! It's not a death sentence...it just feels like it when the diagnosis is dropped on us.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello to Chris/kelika71-
    You sound like someone who is determined to changed your life for the positive. I read your profile, and I can certainly see plenty of inspiration in it. How sad to lose family members because they didn't care for themselves as you are doing.

I am older than you, not diabetic, and don't have any serious health issues. My doctor even took me off BP meds when I had lost 50 lbs. The one thing I will tell you, because of something that was said in your profile, is DON'T fear the hysterectomy!!! It was the best thing I ever did for myself. Since I had mine in January 2009, I have been able to completely change my way of eating, no more up and down mood swings and days of misery. I realize you are still young enough that maybe having a child is a consideration, but if that is not what is entering into the decision process, I would encourage you to consider it, if your doctor is encouraging you in that way. My only regret is not doing it sooner than I did. I am on a minimal dose of HRT and I have never had a day of regret over doing it.

Chris, the original poster--
    I hope all the thoughts that were passed on in this thread will help you keep your courage up and stay focused on making your life and your future better. Good luck!!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Hey all.
    Weighing in at 300# for the last year now. I'm 6' tall so people tell me I carry it well. (Except for the pot belly, always being tired, and having absolutely no stamina anymore)

Went to the doctor last week and did a fasting glucose. Resulted as 129 with an A1C of 6.7. He said I was now a Type 2 Diabetic and put me on glucophage. I'm a dialysis nurse and most of my patients are diabetic. I am scared (and now highly motivated to lose weight).

Need motivation, support, and others in this situation to climb out of this hole with me.

Hi, I am a Type 2 Diabetic that is slowly reversing Diabetes back to Insulin Resistance............

In 2003, I weighed 275 pounds and I am only 5'3". I had A1C of 8.9% and fasting glucose in the 300's.............

My doctor put me on a low carb plan (I chose Atkins) and within 6 months and I started exercising, my blood sugar numbers were normal, A1C was coming down and I had lost over 100 pounds...........

However, I didn't take the part about being a lifestyle change to heart like I should have and I gained a lot back...............Last year lost 50 pounds and through having financial issues (hubby was laid off) and medical problems I am currently going through, I gained most of that back too.

Currently, my A1C is 5.8% and my fasting glucose was 94.

I can tell you from years of experience and watching my grandmother have both legs and an arm amputated due to Type 2 Diabetes that controlling carbs, eating as naturally as possible and Exercising is the only way to control Diabetes, especially if you want to live Medication FREE!!!
  • Chris_B
    Chris_B Posts: 15
    Options
    oops
  • Chris_B
    Options
    I'm not a diabetic but did want to offer a bit of encouragement! Hang in there! Your health and life depends on it! Keep focused and keep logging every bite of food that goes into your mouth! You can do this!! :smile:

Thanks Husker Gal,
    Having a little difficulty getting motivated.
    Chris_B
  • Chris_B
    Options
    Hi, I am a Type 2 Diabetic that is slowly reversing Diabetes back to Insulin Resistance............

In 2003, I weighed 275 pounds and I am only 5'3". I had A1C of 8.9% and fasting glucose in the 300's.............

Hey July24,
    Thanks for the response, how are you doing now?
    Chris_B
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    My A1C was also 6.7 in February. I started dieting and exercising in March and found this site in early April. I've lost 37 lbs and my readings are currently in the 80's and 90's. I go back to the doctor in August and can't wait to see what my A1C is now. I'm hoping that my metformin (2 a day) will at least be reduced a bit.

My doctor sent me to a dietician and a diabetes education class. It was very informative and just controlling your carbs can go a long way. The dietician gave me guidelines of keeping my carbs between 40 to 50 carbs per meal and snacks between 10 to 15. I don't know why but doing it by meal instead of all day seems to make it easier for me. It's not real hard to keep the carbs at those levels and that along with the exercises seems to be working very well for me.

And I'm not doing any heavy duty exercises either. I have only done the Walk away the Pound workouts. Not too strenous and easy to do anytime.

Good luck! And remember that you are at the stage where you can really make a quick comeback from those numbers.
  • Robin304
    Robin304 Posts: 64
    Options
    HI Chris,
    I'm also a nurse and a Type 2 diabetic. When I was first diagnosed I was put on glucophage. Truthfully it scared the crap out of me and I lost weight on a very strict diet and eventually was able to get off the meds. But as I've learned, diets don't work and after several years I guess I became lax, gained weight back and my diabetes was out of control again. So much so that on Oct. 1, 2009 I weighed 325lbs and my glucose levels were running consistently in the 300's. I finally woke up and decided to do something about it. By just making healthier food choices while not making myself feel deprived (mind over matter) and exercising I now weigh 214#'s and my glucose levels run consistently in the 80's. I had lab done last week and my A1C was 5.5 (yea!) and my total cholesterol was 120. My Micro-albumin is still a little high and I'm hoping that I can still reverse that and prevent further damage with an ACE inhibitor. Other than that, I'm medication free and happier than I've ever been in my life. I still want to lose another 54 lbs, but even if I stay right where I am, I'm thankful everyday for the changes I have made and don't take any of it for granted. I spent many years taking care of end stage diabetics and can't believe I didn't care enough about myself to at least try to fight this terrible disease. I feel like I just wasted so much time. Good luck on your journey! I sent you a friend request. Have a great weekend!
    Robin
    Robin
  • Chris_B
    Options
    My A1C was also 6.7 in February. I started dieting and exercising in March and found this site in early April. I've lost 37 lbs and my readings are currently in the 80's and 90's. I go back to the doctor in August and can't wait to see what my A1C is now. I'm hoping that my metformin (2 a day) will at least be reduced a bit.

Hey Sandara,
    I am going back to my doc in September, hopefuly having lost some weight. I have only recently been put on metphormin x1/day. Keep up the great work you have done. I would like to send you a friend request.
  • genann
    genann Posts: 236
    Options
    Hey all.

I'm not Diabetic, I hope, but my fear of being one is what made me begin my journey of losing this weight. I have seen what happens to some people with Diabetis because my x-husband was one. I also have a friend that didn't know he was Diabetic until he passed out at work and had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance. He has now lost over 40 lbs and is really feeling good.
    Losing weigh is not easy and I'm sure that most of us on this board can say we know how you feel when you say you can feel the resolve to lose weight start to weaken. Maybe when this happens, you can go for a walk or read or just get on here and write about how you feel. After a few weeks when you can start seeing the weight come off it will get better....I know it did for me. Good luck and think positive!:smile:
  • JoyBellz
    JoyBellz Posts: 108 Member
    Options

I am not diabetic either but it does run in my family on both sides. In addition, I have an ovarian disease that can lead to diabetes, hence my reason for wanting to get healthy and fit. Recently I posted a story about an older lady who really inspired me with her story about diabetes. Her story came when I was feeling like I could not do this and had no motivation. I have copied that story below. I hope it will help you like it helped me. Good luck and hang in there.

Lately I have been struggling with LACK of motivation. I have felt so tired, I'm almost sick. I know if I exercise, even if its just a walk, I will feel better but I just can't do it. I work for an eye doctor pretesting patients for their eye exam. I get their medical history/info such as meds they take, illnesses/surgeries, any problems w/ vision or eye irritation, family history, etc. Our eye doctor is very up-to-date on new technology and very aware of diet and nutrition as he is a diet controlled diabetic. Recently, we have gotten some new technology in our office that scans the level of antioxidants that you absorb from vitamins or fruits and veggies. The scanner gives you a level between 10,000 and 50,000+ with 50,000 being good. Antioxidants contribute to our overall health including the health of our eyes and that is why we offer this test. Today I had an 85 year old patient that I was pretesting. I asked this patient if she was interested in doing the new test (antioxidant scan). She proceded to tell me that she was diagnosed as diabetic 6 years ago (age 79). At that time she wore a women's size 22. Her PCP put her on medication for her diabetes but it brought her blood sugar down too low causing her to pass out several times. Her PCP agreed to let her try to control her blood sugar with diet. She started eating 3 servings of fruit and 3 servings of vegetables EVERYDAY. She eats mainly chicken, turkey and fish.....(FRIED fish) for her meat. She says a serving of meat is about the size of the palm of your hand. Since she starting controlling her diabetes w/ diet, her weight fluctuates between 139lbs and 143lbs and when we did her antioxidant scan, her score was 54,000 with her blood sugars in normal range. What an inspiration! If that woman at age 79 (when diagnosed as diabetic) can change her diet that drastically and lose weight and become healthier.....still going strong at 85, why can't I. A lot of people at age 79 or 85 would have the mentality that "its too late" and not even worry about it. She took it seriously and changed her life. Thats awesome
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Chris- good for you taking this step. my doctor put me on metformin last summer. in fact, i went in last august and the doctor said i was diabetic and he wanted me to go to the diabetes clinic, etc, etc. i left his office so unhappy. but i firmly decided, i am not going to live like this. i spent a couple weeks planning and getting my girl ready to go to college. i came home from taking her to school and started dieting August 27. i found this site on the 29th as i was trying to find calorie counts for foods i was eating.

in the almost 11 months since that time i have literally worked my *kitten* off. i started at 301 and now weigh 175. i'm certainly not done, but well on my way. (my goal on my ticker was a pretend number when i started, it has been soooo many years since i weighed less than i do now, that i really don't know what my end goal will be).

Anyway, i never went to the diabetic clinic. and from 3 metformin tabs a day, i now take NONE! i went from 3 high blood pressure meds to one. and the doctor was considering cholesterol meds too, but i've avoided that as well.

my weight loss has slowed, but continues. i am happier. can move with ease (bad knee had me pretty lame when i weighed 100 lbs more). i am absolutely a new person this summer. it can be done. it is not easy, but with grit and determination, you will win. i love hearing my doctor brag to his staff about me, calls me his star patient.

things i've learned this year (many of them from others here on mfp): more than 64 oz of water a day is essential. always drink a glass of water before giving in to snacks. nothing tastes as good as thin will feel. when eating out, get a to-go-box when your food comes and put away the extra to take home so you won't "accidentally" eat too much. there are tons of great low calorie recipes out there, so don't fry anymore. learn to find low calorie ways to eat your foods (for instance, franz multi-grain english muffins are 100 calories, orowheat light bread is 40 calories a slice) so if i make a sandwich with 80 calories worth of bread instead of 200 calories (many breads are even more for 2 slices) those extra calories can be banked for a snack later.

it is all about choices Chris. we can only get where we are going one choice at a time. each choice is a chance for success. and if you make a bad choice, okay, but make sure the next one is a good choice.

good luck. one day, one choice at a time, we can do it.
  • EboniA
    EboniA Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris, don't worry or stress about motivation. You've taken the first step to be here and make a change. Then, for a little while, you might have to force yourself to exercise and plan your meals. It will get easier. I am almost at the diabetic stage but I live a pretty diabetic life. My mom (who lives with us), my auntie, and cousin are all diabetics and I was with with both of my pregnancies so I have been there, done that. We use splenda in everything, no sugar added ice cream, and pair every carb with a protein. I also reccomend Fiber One everything since the fiber cuts the sugar. Shopping is much easier now than it used to be years ago. If you are able to get a dietician, do it. It is so helpful and I remember my insurance covered 20 sessions/year.

You now have a whole community who knows what you're going through. All the best to you!!