How do you heavy lifters get your protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    184 grams of protein?! :noway: How much do you lift per week?
    seems about right, my base is 212g a day without exercise, with exercise it can get as high as 285g protein required.
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Ok I did the TDEE wrong. I selected male instead of female. But my TDEE-20% is still 2591. Still seems like a lot. Or maybe I should have chosen 1-3 hours if exercise vs 3-5 hrs?
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    chicken, fresh mozzerella cheese(the soft stuff) and Greek yogurt. those are my main sources of protein. I try hard to not have to supplement and most days those get me the amount I want. which is 110+
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Ok I did the TDEE wrong. I selected male instead of female. But my TDEE-20% is still 2591. Still seems like a lot. Or maybe I should have chosen 1-3 hours if exercise vs 3-5 hrs?

I picked 1-3 hours for mine and got 2165 for TDEE -20% to lose weight; for desk job with little or no exercise, I got 1889 for TDEE-20%. Most days I'm close to that.
  • niqua215
    Options

I picked 1-3 hours for mine and got 2165 for TDEE -20% to lose weight; for desk job with little or no exercise, I got 1889 for TDEE-20%. Most days I'm close to that.

I redid it and chose 1-3 hours and came back with 2298. Just logged the rest of my food for the day and I'm at 1653 with 86 grams of protein left. I was under my sugar grams so yaaaayyyy! I'm always over.
  • niqua215
    Options
    I reset my diary to TDEE -20% with 40, 40, 20 macros. Gonna see how well throughout the week. Gonna fall way short today though.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast
    Talapia
    95/5% ground beef
    Hanger steak
    Pork tenderloin
    Egg whites
    Bacon

greek yogurt
    all the fish you like!
    Steak - all kinds
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    post workout shake, ground bison, eggs, peanut butter and tuna. occaisionally a steak or some chicken
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options

I redid it and chose 1-3 hours and came back with 2298. Just logged the rest of my food for the day and I'm at 1653 with 86 grams of protein left. I was under my sugar grams so yaaaayyyy! I'm always over.

It does depend on how much exercise you are doing though, if you work a somewhat active job and workout a few times a week then you don't want to undereat by selecting lightly active. If in doubt average some values between lightly active and moderately active, they are simply a multiplier of your BMR (ie lightly active applies a 1.375 multiplication factor to your BMR whilst moderately active applies a 1.55 multiplier to your BMR). You could make yours 1.5 or whatever you like really following the equation outlined on scoobys site.

Your protein numbers are on the higher side so don't worry too much if you can't attain that sort of level of protein, you will still be getting a decent amount but generally the more protein the better - to a point. Your fats are on the lower side too so try not to undereat on those too much. I have my macros set to 30% protein 40% carbs and 30% fat which work for me but I tend to fall short on my protein and fats generally and eat a few too many carbs but I am still generally consuming enough protein and not too many carbs or fats.

Also don't worry too much about MFPs default sugar setting. If you eat your two pieces of fruit that we are told we should eat daily you will probably be over on your sugar on this site...
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Protein powder, chicken, mozzarella and fish mainly. Tuna and steak is good too. I have nuts and natural yoghurt but they're quite small amounts of protein really. I don't eat eggs but they're meant to be good for protein.