Breakfast

Hey, I am just curious what people eat for breakfast. Need some new healthy ideas and options :) I cant eat cereal or bread in the mornings because it makes me tired. What are some things that work for yall and are energizing?

Replies

• BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Protein! I like hard-boiled eggs. Or string cheese.
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Either turkey or ham steak, eggs and a yogurt . Real yogurt, not caramel truffle whatever candy yogurt.
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    I eat lots of stuff: egg white omelettes packed with veggies - or sometimes egg white, some low fat cheese, some avocado on a whole wheat english muffin (my own egg mcmuffin! :)), or greek yogurt with some kind of berries, or oatmeal with cranberries, chia seeds and dried coconut added.....

so I agree with the protein! also: almond butter (on toast, which i know you said makes you tired)
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    green smoothie is the place to be
    healthy living is the life for me
    greens spreading out so far and wide
    keep that fat'n just give me that healthy side

erm - awkward - that just came to me ha sorry

but seriously - Green smoothies are great for breakfast, and you sip on it long enough - it'll carry you through to the 10a snack or whatever of your day :)
  • WrathfulKatherine
    WrathfulKatherine Posts: 7 Member
    Scrambled egg whites with sharp cheddar, a fruit smoothie and coffee.
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    I think the breakfast that tends to fill me up most is peanut butter on toast with a protein shake. I find a good balanced breakfast (high protein, decent carbs and fats) keeps me satiated for longer.

Having said that I don't always have that for breakfast because I generally like leaving for work 15 minutes after I wake up. I generally try and have somethign that is about 2-300kcal for breakfast and that is usually either a piece of cake, a piece of nut and goji bar or a breakfast cookie that I have made on the weekend for the week ahead. Generally a little higher in carbs but still a bit of fat and protein to help prevent me snacking...
  • Normal carbs left me hungry, too. I tried all sorts of healthy cereals and milk, but they made me so hungry within an hour or two. Instead, I now have been making hot cereal every day.

I eat Bob's Red Mill Oat Bran (which is ground up oat berries--it has all the fiber and nutrition that gets lost when oatmeal is processed). You can microwave it, but I find that it makes a mess if you don't watch it. It only takes a few minutes to cook on the stove (and since I make a lunch to watch calories, it is perfect). I put one cup of water in a small pot, put it on the stove, and pour in 1/3 cup of the oat bran. Once it boils, I turn it on low for a couple more minutes. Make sure to stir it so it doesn't stick. I pull it off the stove and pour it into a bowl.

I add 1/2 cup fresh blackberries (Sam's has them cheap) and a teaspoon of honey. It sticks with me for HOURS--I guess because of the 7 grams of protein and the 7 grams of fiber. All together, it is only 201 calories.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    1) Fried egg, dill, honey, toast -- smash egg on toast with honey.

2) Cottage cheese and raisins.

3) Supper leftovers.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    This has become my normal lately:
    Two eggs scrambled with mushrooms and red pepper
    Two Morningstar Farms breakfast sausage patties
    One slice of toast

I know you don't want the bread, so cut that out. WIth it, it's around 400 calories, without it's around 300, high protein, and decent fiber. Sodium on this is high because of the breakfast sausage, so be careful there.
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    I love mushrooms with spinach & feta, scrambled eggs with spinach (can you tell I have spinach growing...?) and herbs or my absolute all time fave breakfast (snack, anything) is greek yoghurt with chia & a homemade sugar-free berry sauce. *drool*
  • Tysonlovesweights
    Tysonlovesweights Posts: 139 Member
    lately I have been having:

2 or 3 eggs, scrambled with pepper jack cheese grated on them
    non fat vanilla greek yogurt (i LOVE this stuff!!)
    coffee
    old mill whole wheat cinnamon raisin bagel toasted with butter
    a cup of strawberries
    I have this at about 6 am and this breakfast usually keeps me going until I have my first snack around 10
  • xxxTiaxxx
    xxxTiaxxx Posts: 310 Member
    I'm doing smoothies
  • veronikaf
    veronikaf Posts: 18 Member
    my favourite breakfast foods are:
    - one egg, fried in a teensy bit of pam on a whole wheat english muffin with 1 tbsp light shredded cheese
    - smoothie with 2 cups spinach, banana, 1 cup frozen fruits (normally berries or mango), a cup of almond milk, and ground flax
    - oatmeal with various mix-ins (slivered almonds, brown sugar, raisins, almond milk, peanut butter)
    - 1 whole egg plus 1/4 cup egg white omelet with veggies, 1 tbsp light shredded cheese, occasionally salsa
    - protein pancakes: 1 banana mashed mixed with 2 whole eggs, cinnamon, vanilla, and ground flax topped with light syrup
    - granola and honey or vanilla greek yogurt

hope these help!
  • RedneckMomma77
    RedneckMomma77 Posts: 85 Member
    I can't do bread of a morning either, but it's not because it makes me tired. So I usually grab a hard boiled egg, and some greek yogurt. That will keep me for a while, until my next snack or meal.
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Aradia_Silvermoon Posts: 375 Member
    I do smoothies since eating solid food makes me queasy in the mornings. Right now I am hooked on 1 cup Dole frozen mango chunks, 1 cup Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk, and 1 scoop Pure Protein Whey Protein Powder Vanilla flavor. Blend it up and it's thick, sweet, and under 300 calories :)
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    protein shake to get me started, and after my workout, i have a homemade protein bar. sometimes i'll slather some peanut butter on it. depends on how my morning is going. ^_^
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    I can't do "breads and cereal" in the morning either, same reason (plus headaches )
    I eat fruit and protein.
    Eggs, meats, nuts, yogurt, protein fruit smoothies, etc.
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    I do smoothies since eating solid food makes me queasy in the mornings. Right now I am hooked on 1 cup Dole frozen mango chunks, 1 cup Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk, and 1 scoop Pure Protein Whey Protein Powder Vanilla flavor. Blend it up and it's thick, sweet, and under 300 calories :)
    keeping this, going to try tomorrow:)