What am I doing wrong? I need advice ASAP

Options
Help! I have been eating right, working out and drinking lots of water for 11 days now, and using MFP to track my calories. I lost 4 lbs almost immediately and I was very gung-ho about making sure to get in some type of exercise and eating right.

WELL about 5 days ago or so I started going up in weight. I gained 2 lbs, then 2.5 lbs, and now I am back to where I started 11 days ago!

I am not sure what I am doing wrong here, so I'd like any and all advice.

1. I am not about to start Aunt Flo, so that's not my reason for gaining.
2. The type of exercise I have been doing is yoga, pilates, Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, and yard work.
3. I drink lots of water and watch my sodium intake. One or 2 days I was over sodium because I didn't realize canned tomato sauce had so much in it.
4. I don't drink soda of any kind.
5. No sweets except fruit
6. I eat 3 meals a day and at least 1 snack, sometimes 2.
7. I restrict my portions.

Any advice?!

Replies

• molly589
    molly589 Posts: 11
    Options
    Bump!
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you eat a day and do you eat back your exercise?

This question is posted every day, so I have an idea where you are going here, but lets explore.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie intake?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I can't say for certain since it's only been 11 days.

I can speculate that you are retaining water.
    I would recommend that you continue exercising, continue to track calorie intake, and try not to react too much just yet.

Give this a couple weeks before you press the panic button.
  • magnolia31
    magnolia31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You could be putting on muscle. I'd go by how your clothes feel and fit as far as fat loss goes. Also, 11 days is too soon to start worrying--you're in this for the long haul. Ultimately, if what you are doing is not helping you lose the fat you want, then you may need to adjust your workout intensity or duration. The less weight you have to lose, the longer it takes also. If you only need to lose 20-30 lbs, then expect slow results.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    u mentioned aunt flo is coming soon and five days before I have mine, I ALWAYS gain 7 pounds. Wait until it has been gone for at least 24 hours and step on the scale again......
  • Requiembell
    Options
    Also how much fruit? What else counts as 'not a sweet' that is high carb?
  • JeNn45nFiT
    JeNn45nFiT Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...same thing is going on with me right now....BUT it is TOM for me. Hang in there, from what everything I am reading this is pretty common and can be explained by many things, not enough water, retaining water, not enough calories etc. I even read one article on it that said sometimes you gain at first and it can take 4-6 weeks for your body to adjust to new diet and workouts.
  • Requiembell
    Options
    Bump for later...same thing is going on with me right now....BUT it is TOM for me. Hang in there, from what everything I am reading this is pretty common and can be explained by many things, not enough water, retaining water, not enough calories etc. I even read one article on it that said sometimes you gain at first and it can take 4-6 weeks for your body to adjust to new diet and workouts.

Jen, same questions to you if you want to me to have a look see at yours.
  • julie781
    julie781 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It may be water retention, your sodium levels are pretty high.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I can't say for certain since it's only been 11 days.

I can speculate that you are retaining water.
    I would recommend that you continue exercising, continue to track calorie intake, and try not to react too much just yet.

Give this a couple weeks before you press the panic button.

Agreed! your sodium is off the charts the last few days! watching that this week should really help release some water weight you have probably been holding onto

Also the last few days look really low as far as calories, please make sure you are eating enough!
  • YellowNightingale
    YellowNightingale Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Icebear - MFP suggests 1,380 cals per day. WITH exercise I think I am getting around 1,100. I usually burn between 150-200 cals or so. I want to start adding in more exercise soon which is why i want to make sure I am doing things right. Also, I eat usually 2 kinds of fruit per day, and I eat them in the morning and afternoon and not usually at night. The highest carbs I eat are whole-grain, low carb wraps with flax, the Lawash wraps. I was also eating whole oatmeal in the morning (not the instant kind) that I am cutting out now because it may be too high in carbs?

Magnolia - I actually have about 85 lbs left to lose, sooo I would expect the first week or so to be a larger weight loss and then it to slow down.

MrsSassyPants - i know NOTHING about TDEE and BMR, can someone explain this to me? I just read about it in a different blog but this is the first time I have heard about it.

Kimosabe - Aunt Flo is NOT coming soon ;)

I just opened my food diary if anyone wants to look at it and tell me what they think.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've had a look at your diary- you are eating too little for the exercise you do. Some days you are probably netting around 800.
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate a lot from day to day. Weighing everyday has never been anything but a source of frustration and a roller coaster of emotion for me. I now weigh weekly.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Icebear - MFP suggests 1,380 cals per day. WITH exercise I think I am getting around 1,100. I usually burn between 150-200 cals or so. I want to start adding in more exercise soon which is why i want to make sure I am doing things right. Also, I eat usually 2 kinds of fruit per day, and I eat them in the morning and afternoon and not usually at night. The highest carbs I eat are whole-grain, low carb wraps with flax, the Lawash wraps. I was also eating whole oatmeal in the morning (not the instant kind) that I am cutting out now because it may be too high in carbs?

Magnolia - I actually have about 85 lbs left to lose, sooo I would expect the first week or so to be a larger weight loss and then it to slow down.

MrsSassyPants - i know NOTHING about TDEE and BMR, can someone explain this to me? I just read about it in a different blog but this is the first time I have heard about it.

Kimosabe - Aunt Flo is NOT coming soon ;)

I just opened my food diary if anyone wants to look at it and tell me what they think.

Assuming your total calorie intake is being tracked accurately the issue is not overconsumption of carbohydrates and it certainly isn't an issue with carb timing. You can eat that fruit in bed if you'd like and you'll still make progress provided you're remaining in an energy deficit.

If you'd like to read about BMR/TDEE:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Requiembell
    Options
    I sent you a message. Hit me back.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    To be clear, you ate 1.5 cups of tomato sauce today? That's a lot of sauce. Anyway looking through your diary you do eat a lot of sodium most days. That is probably a good part of the problem. You are retaining water. In the early days of weight loss it is water you are losing. Since you lost and gained it back in a short amount of time, it's a good bet it is water weight.
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Cut your sodium by 50%. Continue to exercise. It will happen.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    your sugar is pretty high (and regardless what others say or think.sugar is sugar, doesn't matter if it is coming from fruit or ice cream) and your sodium is on the high side too, you could be retaining water.