Almond Milk vs. Skim Milk

Options
Hey guys, I've been a skim milk drinker my entire life. My mother insisted upon it with dinner every single day and I've maintained that even into adulthood. I see people mention almond milk a whole lot and was wondering if any of you knew the lowdown on the pros and cons of almond milk vs. skim milk. Should I consider making a switch? Is almond milk more just a breakfast food or... does it go well with other meals?

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    if you are used to skim milk I do not think you would like the taste of almond milk. pretty much apples and oranges, they taste nothing alike, I like almond milk but i use it in oatmeal and on my cereal. I would suggest you get a small container and try it for yourself, It is lower calorie.
  • valarielala
    Options
    The main thing for me is to stay away from animal milk. I'm not quite sure if one or the other is better if you are okay with eating meat products. My husband uses almond milk on his cereal and loves it! I only use milk as creamer in coffee. Love it.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It's lower in calories and higher in calcium. I think it tastes very similar to skim milk, and I use it for everything that I used to use skim milk for. The only thing that I have noticed that I don't care for is that a few things (oatmeal and pudding) don't thicken up as well with almond milk, so you need to adjust proporations. It is more expensive than dairy milk. But, there's a store near me that does buy-one-get-one-free about every six weeks. I stock up, and occasionally, when I can find coupons, I can get the price below that of dairy milk.

Hope this is helpful.
  • Autumnsun26
    Autumnsun26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I like milk. I do NOT like almond milk. As mentioned above it doesn't taste the same at all. If you can learn to like it give it a try. I tried hard but I put it in cereal once.. just not for me.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Here are some comparisons using skim milk and unsweetened almond milk as examples:

Almond milk has fewer calories than skim milk.
    Skim milk has less fat than almond milk.
    Almond milk has fewer grams of carbohydrates than skim milk.
    Skim milk has more protein than almond milk.

Those aside, I think for many people it is a matter of taste. Almond milk does have a slightly almond flavor, which makes it great (in my opinion) in smoothies and cereal. I am just not a fan of animal milk so I opt for almond or flax milk – but I don't drink any milk straight from a glass. Hope that helps!
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is lower in calories but still provides other nutrients. Even though I don't dislike the taste of almond milk, I mix it half and half with skim milk in my morning cereal so it still tastes like cow milk.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I'm like you - grew up with skim milk all day every day. After reading about almond milk on MFP, I tried it. I like adding it to oatmeal, smoothies, and my protein shakes, but I'm not a big fan of drinking it on its own.
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    i'm newly obsessed with almond milk; i buy almond breeze unsweetened vanilla and LOVE it in my cereal, it's really good!!!
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i drink almond milk for the carb value. it does have a different flavor, so it may take getting used to.
  • BleedsCoffee
    BleedsCoffee Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the information, guys! My main concerns were that I am a very, VERY wee bit lactose intolerant. I can have a glass of milk and not be the least bit upset, but add a bowl of ice cream to that and... well, you know how it goes. Speaking with other adult friends, we've all kind of found that drinking cow's milk can cause some upset to our systems and I was wondering if the switch might be a positive one for me. There's a lot of debate about how healthy drinking milk from animals really is, but I cannot ignore the calcium (and other vitamins) that cow's milk offers. My main concern is calcium. I don't want to lose bone density as I try to strength train and get up there in years. Protein, I can always get from other sources (as I love me some tuna)!
  • littlewolf3785
    littlewolf3785 Posts: 2,592 Member
    Options
    I just switched to Almond milk because the regular milk was starting to mess with my stomach. I am just using it for my cereal in the morning.
  • Slothronaut
    Slothronaut Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For me it's just about the taste. I actually stick to 2% milk rather than skim. I find skim to taste far too watery and drinking homo milk just makes me feel queasy while consuming it.
  • ashleyoh33
    ashleyoh33 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Here are some comparisons using skim milk and unsweetened almond milk as examples:

Almond milk has fewer calories than skim milk.
    Skim milk has less fat than almond milk.
    Almond milk has fewer grams of carbohydrates than skim milk.
    Skim milk has more protein than almond milk.

Those aside, I think for many people it is a matter of taste. Almond milk does have a slightly almond flavor, which makes it great (in my opinion) in smoothies and cereal. I am just not a fan of animal milk so I opt for almond or flax milk – but I don't drink any milk straight from a glass. Hope that helps!

^^this

I have always been a milk drinker and started drinking skim when I moved out of my parents house. My boyfriend drinks almond milk and I could never get through skim milk on my own without it goin bad so now I just drink almond milk with him. The only brand I like is almond breeze, but making the switch wasn't an issue for me. I don't really cook w it either though...I woul be afraid to try it in like a mashed potato recipe or something but with smoothies and cereal it's great. Unless you are having a hard time getting your calcium, are trying to do low-carb or are really concerned about the extra 60ish calories per serving, there's no real NEED to switch, in my opinion.
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk! I will drink it out of a glass (not so with cow milk...it leaves a yicky after tatse for me)... It's much easier on the tummy too! I think it is different for everybody-- you will just have to try it and see!
  • CeeCeeMee
    CeeCeeMee Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I also switched from skim milk due to gastric issues. Originally I drank Soy milk, but due to some recent health changes,I have to watch my soy intake.

I'm madly in love with Almond Milk though. I thought I'd just have it on my cereal at first, but now have started drinking it with dinner as well. And, while it took some getting used to, I've even switched to unsweetened vanilla.

As someone suggested earlier, but a pint and see what you think. It really is great for cereal, if nothing else. It can even make plain flakes taste better. :laugh:
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I much prefer almond milk. Or vanilla soymilk (GREAT in cereal!) But that's mostly because I'm lactose intolerant! :laugh:

Almond milk is very good and low calorie, but it does not taste anything like any kind of animal milk. In fact, it doesn't taste much like almonds, either. It probably would not be very good with a dinner type meal, but you could try it.

However, while it is lower calorie, I don't see how a glass of skim milk with dinner will hurt :) Good for you for drinking up your calcium!

ETA, that **** be expensive, though.
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I like almond milk. Usually buy the unsweetened vanilla and use it in smoothies, cereal and will drink it by itself. I have never liked skim milk, nasty and tasteless stuff in my opinion. Of course, I grew up on full fat raw milk, so skim milk to me was basically like pouring all the milk out of the container and filling it back up with water. :)

One thing you might try for the lactose sensitivity is tracking down some non-homogenized milk. My local natural foods store has skim milk in this format, although it's a bit on the spendy side. A lot of people who have trouble with dairy find that it's not actually the lactose that's the problem, but the homogenization that causes the issues. I tried some of it and not only did it taste like real milk but I could also drink a full glass and not spend hours in the bathroom.
  • PurplePookie
    PurplePookie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use both skim and almond milk. I use almond milk on my cereal, on oatmeal, in my smoothies and pancake batter and often in baking. I like skim milk when I'm making foods I don't think almond milk would taste good in - soups, sauces, biscuits (depending what we're eating them with), etc.

If you like almonds then you'll likely be ok with the taste of almond milk but the texture is grainier than regular milk. I drink both of them out of a glass but prefer the taste of regular milk since it's what I'm used to. When we started drinking almond milk I bought the sweetened, the next time I bought the regular and now we get the unsweetened.
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I prefer to use skim for when I am cooking but prefer to drink Almond milk (I buy the Vanilla one) and also use in my cereal. My favorite thing about it is that generally it expires in 3 months vs 1 month or less for regular milk.
  • Kassandra772
    Kassandra772 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I drink Earths Own vanilla almond milk. I don't like "original" flavored almond milk, but the the vanilla was something I switch over to very easily. I drink a 1 cup of almond milk a day and absolutely love it. I used to drink cow milk frequently and I've made a complete switch to reduce my dependence on animal products. I would say try it out by putting it in smoothies or in your cereal and see how you like it. :)