C25K Week 5 - Holy crap!

Options
So I am starting week 5 of C25K this week and I was just looking through it and got a major surprise! Up until now each week consisted of the same run/walk times within the week but week 5 is different. I am freaked out that I have to run for 20 minutes straight by day 3 of this week :noway: ! Can anyone tell me their experience with week 5 - did you make the 20 minute run? If so, how (not how did you run, I get that part but I guess the mental part).

Replies

• trin8ty75
    trin8ty75 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm soooo with you on this one. I start week 5 tomorrow. I'm hoping for the best but it seems like a lot. Good luck to us both
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Ha! I totally can relate. Week 5 is such a shock compared to the previous weeks that it seems a little terrifying. When I did C25K, I just kept repeating to myself over and over again (for the entire 20 minutes) : "Slow and steady wins the race."

Just remember : Week 5 is by far the hardest. If you can get past this week, girl ... it's all downhill from here ... you've pretty much got the 5K in the bag. Now's the time to push yourself and get it done.

YOU CAN DO THIS! :happy:
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 5 tomorrow and I'm scared also!! But I am signing up for a 5k race on May 18th so I've got just enough time to finish the program and be ready to go! Just have no fear!
  • ChristineH1001
    Options
    Don't under estimate your abilities.....You CAN do it!!:bigsmile: I was jogging 1 mile and the trainer told me to jog 2 miles and I did it. Then a week later he told me to jog 3 mile....and i did it.
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!!

When I first started running I did C25K and I remember being so freaked out by that 20 minutes! I did it and I CRIED I was so overwhelmed and excited! Just go slow and you'll get it done!
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    If I could do it, you can do it. Just take it easy and remember that the first 10 minutes always sucks. After that its easier.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    So I am starting week 5 of C25K this week and I was just looking through it and got a major surprise! Up until now each week consisted of the same run/walk times within the week but week 5 is different. I am freaked out that I have to run for 20 minutes straight by day 3 of this week :noway: ! Can anyone tell me their experience with week 5 - did you make the 20 minute run? If so, how (not how did you run, I get that part but I guess the mental part).

just remember to slow down is it hard yup but slow is the best way to get threw this 20 min run
    TRUST me
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am on Week 6 now, I did the run that you are concerned about on Friday. I was super nervous about it. I just kept thinking about all the things I want to be able to do and how strong i wanna be whenever i felt like quitting. Which was actually in the like, middle of the jog. I made sure to stretch out really well then i took relaxed them the next day. It wasnt too bad honestly. I think you will do fine
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Yep I was absolutely crapping myself too, but managed to do it without too much difficulty. I never would have believed I'd be running for 20mins straight after just 5 weeks, the program really works :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way first time I looked at Week 5! But like everyone else said - you can do it! And you will feel SO awesome and accomplished afterward - as you should!
  • majoki
    majoki Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I remember that I thought the first week was so easy. Then the 3 minute runs were fine. 5 minutes? Ok, I can get through this. But when I got to the 20 minute run I thought "that's a huge jump!" and I was nervous. I had this mental trick I'd been using where I'd just think of my run in small segments, but I couldn't do it with 20 minutes.

Long story short- I did it! Now on week 8, I don't see 20 minutes as a big deal at all.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You are totally ready for it! It is 100 percent mental! If you need a repeat of the day before your 2o minute run, feel free to take it...it's about you being mentally ready for it! Good luck! I've graduated from the Couch 25k and have run 3 half marathons a couple 10ks and a couple 5ks...
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    You can do it! It's a mental game now. You are ready for it. Relax, get some good music or a good audio book & concentrate on it. And remember to take is slow.....very slow.

Week 5 is terrifying but you can do it and you feel so great afterwards.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time with it the first time myself. There's nothing wrong with repeating weeks if you just can't hit that 20 minute mark yet.
  • geekpryncess
    geekpryncess Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yikes. I'm on week 3. And I can't make it all the way through the running part as is. I might need to repeat a few weeks before I can do 20 minutes straight! I've never run/jogged before in my life. I have no stamina!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    yes..it is daunting, but absolutely possible. you have made it this far and you can do it!!

Yes, C25k is engineered to make people physically fit enough to do these sorts of runs, but it also makes you mentally tough as well...and you are a lot tougher than you realise!!

good luck!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I remember freaking out about week 5 too.

Just put some good music on, and it will be over before you know it.
  • annab1684
    annab1684 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think I tried that day 3 times, gradually getting a little bit further, and the last time - just scraped through it. I re-did week 6 day 2 several times before doing the 25 minute jog and SLOWED down!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Like others have said here, you're physically ready to do it! Welcome to the "mental game" that running can be. It'll be a great feeling when you accomplish your first 20-minute run.
  • sycamoresue
    sycamoresue Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just go for it! You will amaze yourself and the 20 mins will fly by. Don't forget to do a celebratory dance at the end of it :) I have completed the c25k and have done one fundraising 5k. Its such a great programme when you think I couldn't run for a minute at the beginning. Keep going and enjoy.