Anyone run 5k "races" alone?

Options
cinrn68
cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
I know this might be an odd question, but I was hoping to get some input. I want to run a 5k race (there are numerous ones coming up in my area), but my friend who was supposed to join me has bailed on me for now. I'm nervous to do it alone... guess it's just because I'm shy and it would be my first time and I have no idea what the "procedure" is, etc. I guess it's a "safety in numbers" kind of thing -- blind leading the blind. LOL I know that I can and probably should just do it, but does anyone have any pointers? Thanks!!

Replies

• pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I run all my races alone :(
    BUT on the + side I go at MY pace no waiting no trying to catch up
    put the tunes on and go :)
    when you get there let them know that its your first race they are SO supportive

GO for it you will be hooked
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first race a couple weeks ago and had a blast. Lots of people there, but I didn't see anyone I knew until after the race. Even if I had known they were there, I don't expect I would have seen them much during the race. Go for it!!!
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    All my races are solo, even when I meet up with friends/start with them. I'm a pretty slow runner so once the crowd thins out, I get ditched ;p
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    Huh? I have run all of mine alone. Why would I want company if I am running competitively? No friends ever!
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    There IS safety in numbers. And there will be hundreds of folks running in the race with you. The crowd and the volunteers are always super supportive---and will help you out :) I like running alone--even if I go with a friend, I would not run with them. It is important to go at my own pace-- listen to my Ipod and enjoy . You should do it. I think you will really really have fun !
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    Do it!!

I asked the same question not that long ago. Mine was a 15km run through the bush. Last year I did it with a friend. And bless her, she trained hard, but I ended up waiting for her. A lot. This year I did it by myself and knocked 22 minutes off last year's time.

Running by yourself is way better if you're looking to test yourself.
  • Zoeys_Momma
    Zoeys_Momma Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I run a lot of my races alone. The people are pretty friendly and I easily strike up a conversation with the other racers. Its pretty neat because all them pretty much have the same interest as you. A lot of people can also recommend some great races you might want to try or training plans. The only thing I would worry about is carrying your stuff. Some races have places to store your bags. But you're going to want plan for a place for your tshirt or stuff you get with your race packet and maybe your keys.
  • embeecee
    embeecee Posts: 11
    Options
    I hate racing with friends. I love getting breakfast together afterwards, and sometimes we do that... but I cannot compare myself to anyone else. Someone else running nearby just... freaks me out. I'm going to run at my pace, and I"m going to be proud of MY effort. :D Good luck!! Running my first 5k last year was what finally made me love running!
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. Grab your race bib, your shoes and your iPod (if you use one) and go run. Quit stressing the small stuff and go have fun!!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I've run a 5K, 10K, 15K and a 1/2 Marathon. Every single race I've ran alone and didnt know a single person. It's ok, as clearly I see I'm not the only one. I would run them with friends if they were into it but they're not. I find I push myself more when I'm alone anyways.
  • Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I have done all but one of my 5k's alone, and the one that I did with someone I had to work with their pace. Just have your music ready and go have fun.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a runner, I'm more of a 5K jogger. I do them to see some scenery. I do them alone because I don't know anyone around here that is into doing them. It's not a big deal. I'm not super outgoing either.
  • mutsey
    mutsey Posts: 11
    Options
    I did my first 5K today! it was the Graffiti Run and we were covered from head to toe in different colors. I met friends there at the race but once we started, we all went at our own pace so we didn't see each other the whole race but we picked a meeting place after the race so we could all meet up and get our "after" pictures. It is a lot of fun and I don't think having someone there or not would make a difference! I had so many people asking me to take their pics for them with their phones since they had no one with them and everyone there was great! It was a fun very upbeat and at your own pace kind of race!
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I've done plenty of races, and other events alone. It's a lot of fun to do any event, including races, with other people, but that doesn't mean you won't have fun doing it alone. People are usually friendly and will guide you if you have any questions. Some may even ask you if you need any help once they see the "first time here" look on your face; we can spot it fairly easily. lol.
    In the end, it's really as simple as going to the starting area, putting on your favorite play list and doing your thing.
    On a another note, never let anybody else dictate how much fun you can have... go out there and have fun!
  • c_foster
    c_foster Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm doing my first 5k in June, so far no one to run with. Reading this makes me wondering if I actually do want to do it with a friend or not...
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I've run several alone and several together. Of course it's always nice to have friends there to run it with you, and in my opinion it's made most of them better...however the ones I've done alone come with a different kind of victory...doing something on your own, it's your own accomplishment and your own personal victory. That being said, almost every race that I've run with someone I met them through MFP...so maybe try searching groups for your state/area (like there's a michigan group, florida group, etc) and post what races, see if anyone's doing it....maybe strike up a friendship! I've met some awesome MFPers at races!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I have ran at Least a few five km races alone. Alone is my Favourite because I choose my pace and I like the solitary feel. Usually I plan alone and my husband and / or a few friends offer to join me, but I like it either way. I also make sure that when I run with someone they know I will stay at my pace and they are free to take off and run ahead if they need to.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I got suckered into my first race by a couple of girlfriend who announced after we arrived that they were going to walk it. B!tches. J/k-sort of. Anyway, I ran it and had a blast. They walked. They did the same thing at the next race. Anyway, it's cool-you'll be with a bunch of other people no matter what pace you run. You'll be fine. You'll have fun.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've run all mine "alone", even a color run!

As for what to expect, there's a great topic here with heaps of info on prepping for your first race. He covers everything from a full marathon to a 5k, and it really helped easy my worries on what to do or not to do, how to prepare leading up to race day, and what to do on race day. Give it a read - hopefully it will help you too! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race