Dr. Ian's Shred Diet

Options
I am on Week 1, Day 4 of Dr. Ian's Shred Diet...so far I think I'm doing well. I was curious as to how many others are following it, and having success? Anyone been past Weeks 1 and 2, and did you lose weight?

Replies

• GraceSteps
    Options
    I'm waiting for a copy of it from the library. I'll check back here when I start:)
  • JennyJo23
    Options
    what is it and where do you find it?
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Most diets do not work in the long term....people lose weight and then gain it back because they have not learned how to keep their weight stable. or the diet is so depriving that once it's over, the person eats to compensate for everything they've been missing. But I also know that some people need a "jump start"....a quick loss to get them moving and motivated to continue with a healthy eating plan that is sustainable. Wish you the best.
  • foxymama73
    foxymama73 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It's a book by Dr. Ian Smith, and it can be found at Barnes and Noble, Amazon, and it's also digital.
  • foxymama73
    Options
    I have followed one of his other programs, and it DOES work...this is a "too good to be true" that actually IS true. If you've never tried it, read the book, or are even the slightest bit familiar with it, don't be so quick to knock it. Some of us, namely me, are big Dr. Ian fans...his mission is to help people, this is not a fad diet...it's a lifestyle change..Atkins and Southbeach are fad diets...Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, and Jenny Craig, are, in my opinion, fad diets because they need big name stars to advertise....Dr. Ian advertises his own diets, but some stars do endorse them. I am not a star, but I endorse it. He does not have his own brand of food, it's just a book. I don't like negative people, and if negativity is ur thing, keep it off my post. Thank you so much. This site is about encouragement and helping each other.
  • pkdarlin
    pkdarlin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm on week four and doing great. My blood sugar is normal, and I have lost 10 pounds the first three weeks.
  • foxymama73
    Options
    @ Pkdarlin, that's GREAT!!! That gives me hope that it will work. On his other plan, Extreme Fat Smash, I had success, but, the food choices were terrible on that one. I like the Shred plan better. I've tried to get past the minimum exercise required, but I've started concentrating on ab work, so, the minimum is about all I can stand right now...lol....this is totally contradictory to the amount of exercise I've been doing since being on MFP. Im gonna pick it up in Week 2, though.
  • pkdarlin
    Options
    When I get through with the 6 weeks, I will take a little break then go for another 6 weeks. My sister is following the diet too and she has lost 8 pounds in week 3. she just has 15 pounds to lose and i have a lot more. The diet has given me lots of energy and I'm loving it. Good luck to you and keep posting. I want to start strength training after the first 6 weeks.
  • BlueEyes2000
    BlueEyes2000 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Give a hint; is that plan specific as to what you can eat daily or weekly? I'll have to search it out. How is your energy and mood while on the plan?
  • pkdarlin
    Options
    There is a lot of food on the diet. I never get hungry. You have a lot of choices with your meals that you can pick from. Sometimes I can't eat all of it but you have four meals and three snacks. Sometimes four snacks. You have to eat four meals but not everything in the meals. It's just healthy food. Lots of fruit and veggies. Lots of soups. When I started the diet I did not have to buy anything to start. I had a lot of the food already.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers is not a fad diet, it's a lifestyle change. Only reason I don't follow it is because I'd rather use MFP to log and see data. Ive never heard of the Shred diet, but I did google it and don't see how it is any different from just eating right?
  • BlueEyes2000
    BlueEyes2000 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just googled Dr Ian. Found his diet plan to be encouraging, he has a no nonsense approach so, I decided to get the kindle version (instant download - no waiting) "Get ready to Shred" for $1.99, probably the original version?? I'll read it and give it a go, only out 2 bucks if I don't like it. I am on the "Eat to Live" plan now, need a change - it is eating clean, but I think I just get bored and want to mix it up. Thank you for the idea.... I love the positive feedback MFP offers! Y'all are all helpful in my journey.
  • constructisme
    constructisme Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started the Shred diet 3 days ago but can already see a difference in my waist line. I am not suppose to weigh in until tuesday and i can't wait to see what the scale has to say. I really like all the food options the Shred diet has. I am not big on exercise and i work in a office all day so not much time to hit the gym, but a couple of us are now walking on our lunch break. Good luck to all trying the Shred diet. I will let you know what the scale says on Tuesday.
  • browneyez27
    browneyez27 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    im on week 1 day 6 .... the 6 week plan is essentially doing cardio 5 days a week for about 40 mins/day and eating 4 small meals a day and 3 snacks .... there is some choice allowed as he presents a couple of options for each meal and gives a long list of snack ideas

if you are home or in an office everyday this plan is manageable, but if you are constantly on the go, planning ahead and taking the appropriate food with you can be quite burdensome...as well as remembering not only WHAT to eat, but also WHEN!!

the best part is that you do not need to purchase any expensive "diet" foods at all...everything is real food from the grocery store and super easy to prepare

all in all there is nothing revolutionary about this plan at all ..no new science..no new super foods....basically if you exercise and spread out your meals throughout the day, you'll amp up your metabolism and lose weight/inches

happy "shredding" :)
  • loridaisy1
    loridaisy1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm om week 4. I've lost 6 lbs and 15 inches i only have 20 total to lose. I find it interesting how people comment on something they know nothing about in a negative way. This is an eating plan for life. It is very doable. You have most foods in your kitchen right now and with so many choices I don't know how you could get bored. I plan on doing another cycle after I complete the first one.
    This plan works and people are losing weight on it. You should check out his Facebook page. Lots of SUPPORTIVE people. Shred on people!
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I"m pretty sure the reason things like this get a negative reaction is that for one, most of the people that respond are new to the lifestyle of losing weight/being healthy. And when you follow a plan like this, you are being told what to eat and when, so they are not learning how to make the right choices. And I do understand that this plan CAN be a lifestyle change and not just a "diet" but honestly, most people that are new to this and follow something like this WILL stop once they reach goal weight. I have read about the plan (on Amazon you can preview the whole book), but to me it just seems easier to eat clean, as that is basically what this is, except it tells you what to eat and when. That's the gist I got from it anyways.
  • Psufilmgirl
    Psufilmgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I saw Dr Ian on Regis and Kelly, or whatever it's called now. I thought, I bet there is an MFP topic on this diet. From what I can tell, it's the basic IDEA OF WEIGHT LOSS. Eat LESS FOOD. That's not science, but I commend Dr Ian for disguising the real way to lose weight as something that seems like a fad diet, because maybe then people will learn.

As for eating 7 times a day? Doesn't work for me. I did it for awhile and became obsessed with food. I've moved on to IFing, which is much easier unless you work from home or can access food 7 times a day, which I cannot.

Oh, and the "smoothie" he made was fruit, yogurt, and SUGAR. Yes, he added sugar to a fruit smoothie. Protein would have been a better option, more healthy in my opinion.

To each their own! I don't think you need to spend $$ on a book that basically tells you to eat in moderation.
  • Redgal56
    Redgal56 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    So are you still on this diet? What are your results?
  • msjeannettea
    msjeannettea Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to start the Shred Diet this week but I would love a sample Week 1 Grocery list. Does it exist?
  • Nulookdotbody
    Nulookdotbody Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @ Pkdarlin, that's GREAT!!! That gives me hope that it will work. On his other plan, Extreme Fat Smash, I had success, but, the food choices were terrible on that one. I like the Shred plan better. I've tried to get past the minimum exercise required, but I've started concentrating on ab work, so, the minimum is about all I can stand right now...lol....this is totally contradictory to the amount of exercise I've been doing since being on MFP. Im gonna pick it up in Week 2, though.

I am doing the fat smash diet. I have been since January. I have lost about 30 lbs. I am curious about the shred diet and what the differences are between the two.