TDEE and stuff

Options
Okay my daily calorie goal is 1940 but when I exercise like today it adds 413. I know I need a base of 1200 a day period. So if my end totals are 1290 from the upped daily goal of 2353 and I have 1063 left is this good? i am so confused about this

Replies

• vegaspfmf
    vegaspfmf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you calculate the tdee yourself and set your calories to the figure what you calculated dont eat the calories back like it says.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    If you calculate the tdee yourself and set your calories to the figure what you calculated dont eat the calories back like it says.

Someone did it for me so my tdee is set based on the info I provided them. SO what you are saying is as long as I am at or above 1200 calories a day that is good? I have like 1k calories remaining............
  • vegaspfmf
    vegaspfmf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I dont know your stat but 1200 is prolly to low. Take your tdee subtract 20% and that what you should aim for daily. If mfp gives you more calories dont eat them. If I read your question right you have 650 left not 1k
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    If you're using a TDEE- x% strategy for weight loss, you don't eat back exercise cals as they're included in your TDEE already. One thing that confuses people is that they set up the TDEE goal on MFP, but still log exercise as normal. That's fine, just make sure you don't eat back the burned cals you log - unless you log your exercise as 1 cal burned.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    If you're using a TDEE- x% strategy for weight loss, you don't eat back exercise cals as they're included in your TDEE already. One thing that confuses people is that they set up the TDEE goal on MFP, but still log exercise as normal. That's fine, just make sure you don't eat back the burned cals you log - unless you log your exercise as 1 cal burned.

I think my 1940 set daily for calories is the 20% of my tdee. Ugh I think I am going to have to redo all this so I know exactly what is set where because someone else did it for me because I couldnt get the site to get my body fat or whatever where you put you neck waist and hip measurements. FML
  • FluffyMcNutter
    Options
    That seems like a pretty big deficit. If they helped you come up with your TDEE - x numbers, then your deficit is already included in your calorie goals and eating very much under that would wind up doing the exact thing that this method tries to eradicate - eating too few calories.

I'm also not sure if yours is set up to where you eat back your exercise calories or not. Usually, people include their exercise in their TDEE, which means you don't eat back your exercise calories.

Try to forget about your 'need a base of 1200 period' thing. You need to be eating whatever your TDEE - x number is...or at least pretty close to it.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    I will just have to figure it out tomorrow and set it so that way I can know for sure wth is going on because I am very confused and without all the info I cant fix it Thanks guys
  • FluffyMcNutter
    Options
    I think my 1940 set daily for calories is the 20% of my tdee. Ugh I think I am going to have to redo all this so I know exactly what is set where because someone else did it for me because I couldnt get the site to get my body fat or whatever where you put you neck waist and hip measurements. FML

You don't need to redo everything. You just need to understand the concepts behind it and where your numbers come from.

The whole point of the TDEE - x system is to get people away from having too large of deficits because those can lead to stalled weight loss/lower metabolism/loss of LBM. So, eating under your calorie goals by a large number just creates a larger deficit...which puts you exactly where you were trying to get away from when you decided to use the TDEE - x system.

If you've been using a substantially lower calorie goal (or just not eating all the way up to your calorie goals), then you might want to try to slowly get up to your calorie goal to give your body a chance to adjust. If you've been eating at 1200 calories and your TDEE - x is 1940, then you don't have to jump straight up to 1940, but you should start creating a plan to get up to eating at that level. I hope that makes some more sense.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options

You don't need to redo everything. You just need to understand the concepts behind it and where your numbers come from.

The whole point of the TDEE - x system is to get people away from having too large of deficits because those can lead to stalled weight loss/lower metabolism/loss of LBM. So, eating under your calorie goals by a large number just creates a larger deficit...which puts you exactly where you were trying to get away from when you decided to use the TDEE - x system.

If you've been using a substantially lower calorie goal (or just not eating all the way up to your calorie goals), then you might want to try to slowly get up to your calorie goal to give your body a chance to adjust. If you've been eating at 1200 calories and your TDEE - x is 1940, then you don't have to jump straight up to 1940, but you should start creating a plan to get up to eating at that level. I hope that makes some more sense.
    It does and my weigh in shows another 1.5 lbs off so I will leave it how it is now and aim to reach the 1940 a day that I never reach and just exercise more I have been very lazy since I started. If I stall or show no measurement changes I will change it thanks man
  • Shrynkabelle
    Shrynkabelle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that, guys, I had the same question.

I started out eating TDEE -15% last week and wasn't quite sure whether I should be eating back the exercise cals - am glad that I didn't (actually don't think that I could, because it seems so much food) but I was a bit confused about the variance.

Happy bunny now :bigsmile:
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    I eat tdee -20% but what I also do is always make sure i'm eating at least my bmr which is more than 1200(1360)to be exact.