Sciatic nerve pain after exercising

Options
Ok, so I am quite a bit overweight and just started working out again. But I have had problems with my sciatic nerve for a few years now. I worked out Mon, Tues, and Wed this week and then wasn't able to Thurs, each day after working out my nerve would really act up and now today it was so bad I could hardly walk. I have tried stretches to help but nothing has worked. Is there any suggestions on exercises or anything else I can do to help it?

Replies

• stongjos
    stongjos Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a physiotherapist or a massage therapist. I've had that problem on and off for a few years. They gave me a couple of exercises that work really well. My hips are not well balanced (sorry, can't find the right wording in English...) so it pinches my sciatic nerve. But my massage therapist and my physiotherapist are a great help when it comes back.
    Good luck!
  • MsBobLoblaw
    MsBobLoblaw Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I occasionally get sciatic pain due to tightness in my piriformis muscles. A yoga move called pigeon pose is one of the only things that help me when it flares up: http://yoganesh.net/video-easy-proper-pigeon-a-piriformis-workout-for-the-rest-of-us/

I also noticed that if I don't stretch that muscle after exercising, then the next day I can count on sciatic pain.
  • bluekitty2201
    bluekitty2201 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will look into all suggestions. I'm desperate at this point!
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Definitely look into adding some regular yoga into your routine. Many of the stretches will help.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I developed a case of sciatica about a month after I started on my weight loss program and exercise. It was SO difficult. For several weeks, I had pain day and night. I tried stretching exercises too...didn't help me. I went to the Dr. and he prescribed muscle relaxers which only put me to sleep. He told me I could have it for a short time or the rest of my life. It took about a month but it finally went away and I started to exercise again and was fine. I have had no recurrence.

I guess what I am saying is that I had to stop exercising until I was better. I continued my healthy eating and I still lost weight, albeit more slowly. Maybe Yoga will help you. Just don't push yourself....take things slowly. Give yourself time to lose a little of the weight and I bet you will be able to increase your exercise.
  • GravyBrah
    GravyBrah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Have you tried stretching with a foam roller? It has works wonders for many athletes and in some cases can provide instantaneous relief from pain. You can youtube foam roller exercises and most commercial gyms have them on hand.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I occasionally get sciatic pain due to tightness in my piriformis muscles. A yoga move called pigeon pose is one of the only things that help me when it flares up: http://yoganesh.net/video-easy-proper-pigeon-a-piriformis-workout-for-the-rest-of-us/

I also noticed that if I don't stretch that muscle after exercising, then the next day I can count on sciatic pain.

This type of stretching helps me too. I think a lot of sciatic pain is caused by the piriformis muscle being too tight, as it naturally is for most people. As long as I stretch after each workout, I don't have sciatic pain. One move I do is lay on my back, cross one leg over the other in a "formal" sitting pose, and pull both knees towards me. Then cross the other leg over and repeat.
  • vaangoin1
    vaangoin1 Posts: 16
    Options
    In all exercises i prefer yoga. Its the best without any pain.