"fitting into macros"

Options
in your opinion, is it better to eat a not so healthy meal if it stays in your calorie goal for the day, or a healthier meal even if it means going over?
for example: say, for dinner, a McDonalds burger kept you under your calories, but an avocado and peanut butter sandwich with some brown rice or something on the side made you go over. Would you take the McDonalds burger even though it's not as good for you?

PS: I know those comparisons are totally wrong HAHA just an example so you get what I'm saying. :)

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    IIFYM. Eat the Mickey D's if that fits better.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I wanted to gag at "avocado and peanut butter sandwich with some brown rice" :laugh:

No, seriously... the best way to eat is the way you can sustain for the rest of your life. Some people want to dedicate to low body fat levels and fitness competition, in which case you want to eat super clean. Others just want a healthy body weight and to fit into the clothing they like and look decent naked. If that's the case, you can pretty much get there eating whatever as long as it fits your macro targets.

On the topic of macro targets - and I just posted this on another thread - I subscribe to the "protein only" target... I just aim for 1g protein per pound of lean body mass and let my fats and carbs land where they will each day (within my calorie target of course). Some days I eat more fat, some days more protein, other days more carbs, but as long as I have that basic protein target met, I don't care what else I add.
  • prioritizinghealth
    prioritizinghealth Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I wanted to gag at "avocado and peanut butter sandwich with some brown rice" :laugh:

HAHAHA yeah not the best example .. but yaknow ;D

thanks for your opinions !!!
  • vegaspfmf
    vegaspfmf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is legit. a calorie is a calorie. I wouldnt suggest eating a big mac daily but if it fits your macros and you dont feel like cooking eat it.
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    IIFYM is legit. a calorie is a calorie. I wouldnt suggest eating a big mac daily but if it fits your macros and you dont feel like cooking eat it.

I like the sound of a big mac a day, but I am pretty sure I don't remember my mum ever telling me 'a big mac a day keeps the doctor away'. I remember thinking that little rhyme had something to do with an apple a day or something else about eating almonds but not a big mac.

I personally love hitting up KFC or Maccas (my personal favourite though is Oportos which I think is an Aussie thing only) for a meal, If you look at my log you will probably see that I eat take away atleast once, maybe twice a week and it does always make my macros look good because I struggle with fats and they tend to help me with those. Having said that though I think it is easy to simplify calorie counting down to just the protein/fat/carb composition of foods and not the fibre, sugars, sodium and other more important macronutrients like iron, calcium and what not that our bodies require. Not saying a big mac and fries doesn't have all you need in a meal to be healthy but...
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. From a "health perspective" obviously the whole food source would be more suitable as it is more nutritionally dense then the McDonald's burger. From a body composition perspective, if the burger helps you to fit into the macro goals more closely then the burger would make sense.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

i agree!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. From a "health perspective" obviously the whole food source would be more suitable as it is more nutritionally dense then the McDonald's burger. From a body composition perspective, if the burger helps you to fit into the macro goals more closely then the burger would make sense.

This, but I'd like to add that I like to go over on my fat and protein and stay under on my carbs, so I preplan all my meals so I don't run into a macro (or micro) issue later in the day.
  • jnissi
    jnissi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You are giving your body so much more when you eat the " avocado, pb, and brown rice" Better yet eat half the avocado, peanuts instead of pb, and half the portion of brown rice. ;)

1 big mac ( 540 calories) ,

or half an avocado (153 calories ) ,
    plus 60 roasted peanuts ( 166 calories)
    plus a half cup of brown rice ( 117 calories )
    = 436 calories.

Your body will feel better and you will function better if you eat better. =)

I mean we all have off days ( this from the woman who ate a bacon and green olive calzone yesterday )

But from a theoretical stand point, the less processed and chemical filled your food is, the better you will feel.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Let's take two meals: a) a fast food meal and b) a home cooked meal.

For the sake of argument they contain exactly the same amount of calories and the same amount of protein, fat and carbs in grammes.

From a body composition point of view, in theory, the effect of both meals could be the same. Your body does not recognise "fast food" nutrients or "home cooked" nutrients. It simply recognises nutrients. Therefore taking this further, again in theory, if you have two diets which are matched in calories and nutrients exactly, then the body composition effects will be no different even if one is made entirely of fast food and one entirely of home cooked food. Obviously in a real world scenario these extremes would be rare and most people would fall somewhere in the middle.

However, there are some obvious points here:

a) the fast food diet would involve eating far less volume of food because it is generally more energy dense which could cause hunger issues
    b) it's less likely that the fast food meal would supply the same amount of micro nutrients so would be less healthy
    c) it would probably contain more refined carbohydrate and sugar which can prompt over eating (depending on your metabolic issues and psychological preferences) as well as lethargy
    d) all of the above could lead to a reduced calorie deficit as your activity levels could fall generally meaning less favourable results long term

All IIFYM is, in reality, is "clean" eating / balanced diet with a certain amount of discretionary calories bolted on which can be used for "junk" (say 10 - 20% of total calories) if you are following a diet favourable for good body composition.

Admittedly some people like to make it appear that it is all about how much ice cream or pop tarts (or whatever fast food totem is considered cool these day) you can cram down their gullets but that is a huge distortion of what actually goes on....
  • prioritizinghealth
    prioritizinghealth Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for all your advice guys!
    I've always wondered about stuff like this haha :)
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'd eat the avocado and some almond butter or McDonalds any day! Tastes better and fuels my body better. Just my preference, so no backlash please. :D
  • myofibril
    Options
    As a final point, I think for most people the idea that there are "good" and "bad" foods is generally unhelpful.

Personally I believe it is more helpful to consider:

a) does this food make it easier for me to maintain my calorie deficit
    b) does this food make it harder for me to maintain my calorie deficit

Items in category a) eat more of...
    Items in category b) minimise or avoid completely
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I think Dan from "In Place of a Roadmap" set priorities like this:

Calories
    Protein
    Fat
    Carbs

So first priority is make sure you hit your calorie target, then your protein, etc.

In your example, go with the burger (although unless you're already close to hitting your macros and have a ton of calories left for the day, the burger would be a bad idea. it's going to have fewer macronutrients/calorie than the sandwich & rice). It will also keep you sane in the long run. If I had to eat peanut butter and avocado sandwiches every day I'd derail immediately!

IIFYM FTW!!! :)
  • lizzardsm
    Options
    Admittedly some people like to make it appear that it is all about how much ice cream or pop tarts (or whatever fast food totem is considered cool these day) you can cram down their gullets but that is a huge distortion of what actually goes on....

So is it bad that I eat super healthy, or as some would call it "clean", during the day so I can have ice cream and chocolate after dinner? ;)
  • myofibril
    Options

So is it bad that I eat super healthy, or as some would call it "clean", during the day so I can have ice cream and chocolate after dinner? ;)

There is no good or bad. There is what works for you and what doesn't. Keep what works and throw out what doesn't.

Like totally Zen man.
  • lizzardsm
    Options

There is no good or bad. There is what works for you and what doesn't. Keep what works and throw out what doesn't.

Like totally Zen man.

ROFL. Yes! Exactly (& ice cream during fat loss makes me very happy).

The Dude abides. :)
  • myofibril
    Options

lebowski-bowling.gif
  • lizzardsm
    Options

lebowski-bowling.gif

wooo! that totally made my day!

and there are no MFP appropriate de Jesus quotes I can think of... so SHUT UP DONNY!
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    What's easier and most likely to make you successful?

1. Hitting your calories
    1. Hitting your calories and stressing about your macros?

focus on calories.

I actually disagree with this. When I started focusing on my macros, calories became much less stressful.