What the heck did I do to my legs?

Options
Last night, I worked myself pretty hard on the treadmill. I ran more than usual and did a series of inclines (from 1-4 while running) for the first time. Usually I just run without any incline at all. I felt great, but later on last night I started to feel pain on the inside of my left upper thigh (i guess my groin?). It still hurts today, maybe even a little more than yesterday. I can walk just fine, it's not a serious pain, more like discomfort. My question is, did I pull something or am I just sore from a new workout? Do you think it's safe for me to work out again today? I was thinking of sticking to the elliptical today since I did so much running yesterday. Would this be okay?

Replies

• size7again
    size7again Posts: 81
    Options
    not sure if im much help but when i add on to my exercise or make it a little harder for me the next day i have leg cramps they feel like a pulled muscle but not as bad just kind of an annoying dull pain so i just take some potassium (spelling) and within a couple of hours the pain is gone. (it even works when the pain is really bad because it got so bad once i had to lay under covers and wait till they stopped cramping so bad i guess the heat helped them? not sure) anyhow hope this helps some ?:indifferent:
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    It may be just soreness or a slight pull. Eat lots of protein and stretch that muscle a few times today and see how it feels tomorrow. Probably will be about the same, but if it is significantly more sore, go easy for a day or 3. Butterfly stretches work well for groin muscles. Sit with your feet flat against one another, knees out then push down on your knees with your hands or elbows. You should feel it then.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    When I started running intervals, my groin muscles were SO SORE. I guess there were ones I hadn't really been working with my other exercises and it took a few days for the pain to completely go away. I ran on Thursday and I just did other exercises and didn't run again until Tuesday. I didn't get that pain again after that first time, so just stretch, take a hot shower, and go for the elliptical or something to take it easy on the muscles for a day or two.
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    I just started the C25K program last week, my legs were sore in the same spot.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I had an accident when I was a dumb teenager and shot myself through my left calf, so I tend to favor my right leg a bit even though there is no pain at all in my left leg. Stupid mind subconscouusly compensating. I often have pain in my right calf, but with a little massage and a lot of stretching I can still do 10-11 miles a day of combination elliptical/running/walking. It is getting better as I get lighter too.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Do some runners stretches and warrior 1/warrior 2 yoga stances. Also, you might do a search for 'psoas' stretch. Tight iliopsoas muscles will affect that area as well (and into the small of your back).
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the helpful responses everyone :)