Insanity vs. Running

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm having some trouble staying on track with my weight loss, and I think part of it has to do with my routine.

I started off the year doing P90X, but then decided that it wasn't enough cardio for me. I don't have enough time to do both. Then for a few weeks, I was exclusively running on the treadmill. I haven't truly worked out since the beginning of March, which is really making me feel awful.

I have Insanity, but I'm debating whether or not I should run or do Insanity to get better results. I might try to train for a 5K in May, but more than anything, I want to be motivated to lose weight.

Does anyone have a preference between running and Insanity?

Thanks guys!

Susan (PS: Feel free to add me!!) :)

Replies

• Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy running keep it up. I would suggest adding strength training 3 days a week in addition to the running. There are several great beginner programs out there such as Strong Lifts 5X5 and New Rules of Weight Lifting.

The nice thing about the strength traingin is that it will help you lose weight and you won't need to do as much cardio. I do both and mainly do cardio because I enjoy it. If I want to take a day off of cardio I can and still see results.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I do insanity 3 days a week and run 3 days a week, it is a lot of cardio but I like it.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you want to do a 5K in May, you definitely need to run. I'm currently training for a 5K, then 10K, and i run 3 days a week and lift weights using a 5x5 program 3 days a week. On my weekday running days I also do a core workout, and my lifting days, i try to do some HIIT or kickboxing or extra cardio and sometimes some Pilates strength workouts (upper body focused to keep my legs fresh) if I have time. Fit in Yoga and stretching when I can. My workouts are never longer than an hour.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    When I started Insanity and people found out many said they would rather run a marathon.. I would rather do Insanity than any running.. I guess it just all depends on what you like.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Insanity and running are both great- but you should really add in strength training!

I agree that there isn't enough cardio in P90X (what there is isn't really that tough)- I skipped kenpo, yoga & cardio X and ran on those days instead. You'll find your runs improve when you have more muscle.
  • justiningham
    justiningham Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am planning on a P90X - Insanity hybrid... you already have both, so use them to get the best of both worlds! There are links online for hybrid plans.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Whatever you can sustain long-term, do that. If you procrastinate like crazy or dread having to do something, don't do that. Consistency is huge. Good luck whatever you decide to do, and hooray for you for doing something! :drinker:
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I used Insanity to kick start my endurance. I am going to start running again this month and I think that doing Insanity first has helped me get into the right mindset. That said, I think either (or a combination) could work, depending on what you like and will stick with.
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think that what is better is whatever you feel you will have the highest likelihood of sticking with.

Sticking with a non-optimal program is far better than dropping out of the best program in the world.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you like to run, run! if you want to try insanity, try it! do the first week, if you like it, do the rest of the programme.

i used to run, because i felt i SHOULD, for the health benefits.... but i dont really enjoy it.

i started insanity, and i LOVE it! am in the frst week of month 2, and its killing me, but its so worth it!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Here is my experience with Insanity:

First off let me just say - I HATE running. My poor dad, an avid runner, has to be so upset he got a weight lifter for a daughter haha.

But I digress, I did Insanity in summer of 2012 and it was a lot of fun for me. I had gained some weight due to a job where I was traveling a lot and therefore eating out a lot. This caused me to gain some cellulite that I wasn't too pleased with on my butt and back of my legs... After Insanity that was completely gone. So, as I stated before, I hate running, but I try to do it and so I signed up for a race thinking I was going to be miserable training for it.... Well to my surprise, after completing Insanity I was able to run a full mile without stopping without thinking I was about to die or anything. My heart rate hovered in the 170-180 range during that mile. I was amazed at what Insanity had done. Bear in mind, again, I HATE RUNNING, so I had never even been able to run 3 full minutes without walking before Insanity. And that is not an exageration.... so.... to answer your question. I think you should give Insanity a go. It's only two months, anyhow, then get back to your running and I think you'll be amazed.

Hope this helps!!
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i hit a plateau at about month 18 so i started running and training for my first 5K. not only have i run 6, 5K's since then, i'm running in my 7th this saturday. the weight started coming off again, i went down another pant size and i have found my new addiction... running! i absolutely swear by it! i don't think insanity is a reasonable workout for me - if i don't enjoy it and i have to TALK myself into it, then it's not worth it and i know i won't stick with it.

my point is, find something you love to do and lose weight doing it = double bonus :drinker:

good luck on your journey!
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think that what is better is whatever you feel you will have the highest likelihood of sticking with.

Sticking with a non-optimal program is far better than dropping out of the best program in the world.

^^this!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I switched from running to Insanity as I find distance running tediously dull. But it definitely worked for me, just got bored senseless of it. Hopefully come the end of this Insanity round I'll get my run back again. But I'm finding it a lot of fun.