Wasn't it just a matter of staying under the calorie limit?

Options

Replies

• davypr86
    davypr86 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Carbs. Your diet has way too many carbs, and you work out too hard. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but crazy workouts make you super hungry, eating carbs makes your insulin fire up and store fat, which in turn makes you more hungry. You don't eat nearly enough protein. You could completely stop counting calories and eat tons of protein and stop eating rice and pasta salad and tortillas and cereal and you would lose weight. Rice, pasta, etc are not part of a nutritious eating plan. Eat a huge steak for dinner with a huge side of veggies - 2 cups of greens at least. Eggs and bacon for breakfast instead of cereal.

You mean, like in Adkins and South Beach?

I sure hope not, because those diets are fad diets and they will work, until you discontinue and start eating carbs, then BOOM, gain it all back. You need to just watch your sodium intake and make sure you're eating more complex carbs.I haven't looked at your diary yet, but after I do, I will email you any suggestions I can come up with.

Thank you. And thank you everyone for your suggestions. I start hitting the sodium hard this week. After a few days of eating good sodium, I'll weight myself again.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options

Not to burst anyone's bubbles, but if you are eating at a deficit, you aren't gaining muscle, and you don't gain visible scale muscle in 3 weeks. That's a myth people bandy about when they have a gain they don't think they can explain.

You've got some other good feedback though. Bodies are weird.

Just because the OP says he's eating at a deficit doesn't make that true, because his goals/info might be set wrong. I know you can't gain muscle if you're eating at a deficit, but I was trying to figure out if he actually was. :flowerforyou:
  • lizag2012
    lizag2012 Posts: 13
    Options
    I would suggest reading a book called, "Why Do We Get Fat" to you and pretty much everyone else (I'm sure it's available at the library). The calories in/calories out idea is much more complex than we are willing to admit. There are no studies out there that prove that simply increasing exercise and decreasing calories is a long-term successful way to lose weight and keep it off. If you want a short, VERY simplified answer without having to read and learn on your own: carbs/sugars increase the insulin response in our bodies, thereby increasing fat storage and hunger signals. Exercise greatly increases hunger. For someone who is already overweight, the excess fat signals cravings that are nearly uncontrollable. The more fat you have stored, the more out of whack your insulin response is. Starvation mode diets (consistently eating under the calories you need - 400-1700 for example) work for a while, but as soon as the person stops keeping their calories below that threshold, they gain the weight back. If you want sustainable weight loss, you need to increase the protein in your diet, and add in lots of veggies. Several cups of greens and a lot of protein, then stop eating when you feel full. It isn't necessary to count calories. Keep in mind that fruit has a lot of sugar, so it is best to stay away from it until your body's insulin responses have normalized. Limit exercise until you have gotten the cravings somewhat under control, and then keep it light for a while (maybe walk 30 minutes 5 days). If you are hungry, have more protein. Learn what is a sugar craving and what is true hunger. Eventually, the crazy addictive pull of sugars and starches will die down. The more fat you lose and the less sugar you consume on a regular basis, the more easy it will become to keep weight off.

And YES, you can eat bacon and steak. There are NO studies proving that a low-fat diet is good for your heart or your waistline. In fact, a little bit of fat with a carb makes the insulin response level out because fat and protein take longer to digest.

All of you stating what you should and should not eat need to check the real research. We have been fed so much misinformation that we think low-fat, low-calorie, tons of exercise is the way to health. If it was, the obesity problem would be solved. Unfortunately doctors who treat their patients with the USDA recommeneded guidelines don't see much success. Scientists can't find a link between the simple calories in/out rule and weight loss, but the media and government buy into it because it is the only explanation that seems to make "sense" so they keep trying to prove it. Read the book or look into the research on your own.
  • davypr86
    Options
    I wont lie. I'm pretty frustrated. I actually upped my calorie intake last week because I was low the week before.

I've been thinking that maybe I'm relying too much on the exercise to eat more. Maybe I ought to cut on the exercising and force myself to eat less.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Carbs. Your diet has way too many carbs, and you work out too hard. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but crazy workouts make you super hungry, eating carbs makes your insulin fire up and store fat, which in turn makes you more hungry. You don't eat nearly enough protein. You could completely stop counting calories and eat tons of protein and stop eating rice and pasta salad and tortillas and cereal and you would lose weight. Rice, pasta, etc are not part of a nutritious eating plan. Eat a huge steak for dinner with a huge side of veggies - 2 cups of greens at least. Eggs and bacon for breakfast instead of cereal.
    ^^So much BS misinformation in this post I don't know whether to laugh or punch my screen.
    insulin-fairy-reloaded.jpg
  • Lauramh31
    Lauramh31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It's probably water weight. It happened to me just last week - I was up 2 pounds the day after a hard workout. I then took a rest day and noticed I had to wake up a lot to go to the bathroom, so I was suspicious it was water weight and my body was now getting rid of it. Sure enough, the next morning I weighed again and was down 2 pounds (so net loss/gain of 0). That's when I knew everyone was right that you really do retain water after a hard workout! Sounds like that may be it for you, but the others had really great suggestions too - definitely up the protein and watch the sodium. Good luck!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I wont lie. I'm pretty frustrated. I actually upped my calorie intake last week because I was low the week before.

I've been thinking that maybe I'm relying too much on the exercise to eat more. Maybe I ought to cut on the exercising and force myself to eat less.

What are you doing for exercise?
    I wouldn't do excessive exercise just to eat food. Unless you are training for something specific more than an hour isn't really necessary. I am, however, a big believer in exercise. Don't cut it out for no reason. Cut down, possibly, eliminate, no.

Did you read the thread that was linked? It includes your exercise so you aren't "eating back" calories which may help your solve your habit of exercising to eat more.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    we are all a little different, so what worked for me was to closely monitor intake and burn, and then experiment with components (calorie level, water intake, sodium levles, carbs, etc.).

I am careful to not go too low on calorie level, but I do see a definite impact on the other variables. For example, I can see a fluctuation of 5 lbs if I eat high sodium.. if i control it it will drop off in a day or two, but thats just the result of the water retention.

be consistent.. keep after it. you did not gain over night and it will be a lifestyle change and new habits to get it off and keep it off.

good luck!!
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    There are no studies out there that prove that simply increasing exercise and decreasing calories is a long-term successful way to lose weight

Lisa, in this house we obey the laws of Thermodynamics.
  • lizag2012
    Options
    ^^So much BS misinformation in this post I don't know whether to laugh or punch my screen.

Where is your research? Studies conclusively show that eating carbohydrates leads to insulin spikes and that insulin spikes lead to fat storage.

I am going to exaggerate here a little for effect, but I am sure you drink protein shakes after workouts, and if you are working out like crazy and then eating the supreme banana split hot fudge sundae after the workout, well then, you are just working out to get the sundae, and the workout and protein shake are helping to reduce the insulin crash. Which is fine, if you have the time to work out that hard and still want to eat the sundae, it will work, it's just not realistic for most people to spend hours at the gym each day in order to eat the sundae. I would personally rather stick to a sensible eating plan that doesn't deprive me, indulge a little now and then (maybe a scoop of frozen yogurt with a little topping instead of the monster sundae), and get a little light excercise 5 days a week or more. I have found some articles showing low-glycemic eating habits to be the healthiest approach, far more healthy than no-carb and low-fat, but I will wait until I can actually quote the research studies (not magazine health articles) that cannot find any link between low calorie/low fat diets and long-term loss. I never said he couldn't eat carbs, just that he is eating way too many. If you look at his diet, you might (or might not) agree, but he eats a lot of rice, crackers, cereal, pasta salad, rolls, tortillas, chips, etc. Cutting that back and increasing his protein intake will help. Also, I'm hoping you aren't really that frustrated by my post and that you were kidding, otherwise I'm wondering if the ripped body might have less to do with diet and exercise and more to do with "supplements". Temper temper!
  • davypr86
    Options
    What are you doing for exercise?
    I wouldn't do excessive exercise just to eat food. Unless you are training for something specific more than an hour isn't really necessary. I am, however, a big believer in exercise. Don't cut it out for no reason. Cut down, possibly, eliminate, no.

Did you read the thread that was linked? It includes your exercise so you aren't "eating back" calories which may help your solve your habit of exercising to eat more.

Yeah, I didn't mean cut out completely. I'm usually doing an hour in the elliptical trainer.

I read the thread, it talks about exercising. But I didn't read anything about not eating back exercise calories.
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I'd suggest only changing one thing at a time. I'd suggest reducing the amount of sodium.
  • lizag2012
    Options
    There are no studies out there that prove that simply increasing exercise and decreasing calories is a long-term successful way to lose weight

Lisa, in this house we obey the laws of Thermodynamics.

Again, check your research, clearly you are no scientist. The first law of thermodynamics does hold true in theory but there is more to it. If it were that simple, no one would be obese. Sticking to a low-calorie diet without understanding the science is why most people are so unsuccessful at keeping weight off. You can have malnutrition and obesity at the same time. Our bodies react differently to different calories. Read the book I suggested, it gives you all the weight loss research out there. I'm just trying to help, so you can ignore what I am telling you or look into it yourself and see what you think.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Why would you suggest eating more protein when protein is highly insulinogenic? By your own logic you are trying to make him fat
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I would suggest reading a book called, "Why Do We Get Fat" to you and pretty much everyone else (I'm sure it's available at the library). The calories in/calories out idea is much more complex than we are willing to admit. There are no studies out there that prove that simply increasing exercise and decreasing calories is a long-term successful way to lose weight and keep it off. If you want a short, VERY simplified answer without having to read and learn on your own: carbs/sugars increase the insulin response in our bodies, thereby increasing fat storage and hunger signals. Exercise greatly increases hunger. For someone who is already overweight, the excess fat signals cravings that are nearly uncontrollable. The more fat you have stored, the more out of whack your insulin response is. Starvation mode diets (consistently eating under the calories you need - 400-1700 for example) work for a while, but as soon as the person stops keeping their calories below that threshold, they gain the weight back. If you want sustainable weight loss, you need to increase the protein in your diet, and add in lots of veggies. Several cups of greens and a lot of protein, then stop eating when you feel full. It isn't necessary to count calories. Keep in mind that fruit has a lot of sugar, so it is best to stay away from it until your body's insulin responses have normalized. Limit exercise until you have gotten the cravings somewhat under control, and then keep it light for a while (maybe walk 30 minutes 5 days). If you are hungry, have more protein. Learn what is a sugar craving and what is true hunger. Eventually, the crazy addictive pull of sugars and starches will die down. The more fat you lose and the less sugar you consume on a regular basis, the more easy it will become to keep weight off.

And YES, you can eat bacon and steak. There are NO studies proving that a low-fat diet is good for your heart or your waistline. In fact, a little bit of fat with a carb makes the insulin response level out because fat and protein take longer to digest.

All of you stating what you should and should not eat need to check the real research. We have been fed so much misinformation that we think low-fat, low-calorie, tons of exercise is the way to health. If it was, the obesity problem would be solved. Unfortunately doctors who treat their patients with the USDA recommeneded guidelines don't see much success. Scientists can't find a link between the simple calories in/out rule and weight loss, but the media and government buy into it because it is the only explanation that seems to make "sense" so they keep trying to prove it. Read the book or look into the research on your own.

LOLTaubes

And there is not a single study showing improved blood markers of health and weight loss following a low fat diet?

Lol at telling people to research, pot kettle
  • His_Buttercup2015
    His_Buttercup2015 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    So I'm not a guy and guys lose different than gals do but I have to watch my carbs and sodium as well. I peeked at your diary and saw you are eating back the calories you exercise off. There's a thread here somewhere discussing whether you should or not...I shoulda done more homework before I started blabbin on here but could be something worth checking on. I try to stay between 1200 and my goal of 1720, and if/when I do cardio I make a conscious effort to not eat those calories back unless I'm under the 1200.
    I think the reason MFP has the option of listing fat, sodium, carbs etc., is to help us pay attention to not just calorie intake but other factors as well. Yes you should watch calories but if you over do carbs sodium and fat logic, to me, implies counting calories by itself will take longer. Sugars if from fruit I wouldn't worry much about.

But someone could and probably will argue the point.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    How are you meauring your food/cals? Unless you are using a scale many people will say your aren't really counting your calories.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

I usually burn over 800 calories in exercise. With how much I eat, it depends. One day, the only day I went over, I ate over 2,500. Other days I eat as low as 1500.

Is that wrong.

For a young male? Yes. Not enough food. You are netting around 1500 calories a day. Have you calculated your BMR/TDEE? most guys I know need over 2000 calories per day and you seem to be at least moderately active, which will put you over 2500 every day using TDEE, I'm guessing. My TDEE is nearly 2100 at moderately active and I am a 42 year old woman.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't LINEAR. Even if you're very consistent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

otherwise I'm wondering if the ripped body might have less to do with diet and exercise and more to do with "supplements". Temper temper!

Thanks for the accusation of "supplements" it lets me know that what I am doing is right and I don't need any studies or "supplements" to get my results. I do what all successful "ripped people" do, which is count calories and get enough protein.
    And my temper is from being a man, not a castrated pushover.

Oh and I eat alot of junk carbs. Why didn't the insulin fairy visit me and make me fat?

The biggest problem I have with your original post was 2 things
    1. You stated "rice and pasta are not part of a healthy diet'--why do japanese people live longer and why are they thinner than us? Why are Italians know to live long lives?

2. You stated "You could completely stop counting calories and eat tons of protein and stop eating rice and pasta salad and tortillas and cereal and you would lose weight."

--So someone could eat over their caloric maintanence level and not gain weight? How is that even possible?

And where are the pictures of your god-like physique. Research is great, but means absolutely nothing if not put into practice to actually get real-world results.