When was your "Somethings got to change" moment?

Options
I work part time for a funeral home doing services and removals. After the holidays my clothing wasn't fitting right anymore, especially my very expensive suits that they provide for work (They are a multigenerational company and very aware of image and professionalism) One morning about 3am I got a call & had to really suck it in to get my pants hooked. I also noticed either I was getting weaker or the deceased seemed to be getting heavier. I said to myself thats it somethings got to go-Mainly some lbs.
My weight loss has been pretty good so far and I have regained alot of strength since I hit the gym 6 days a week now - 4 cardio & 2 lifting. I am down 23 lbs since january 1 - 18 lbs since finding this site 5 weeks ago and learning alot.
Very satisfied that my suits are now close to the point where I might have to get them altered and brought in a little.
I would love to hear other stories as well

Replies

• pomegranatemint
    pomegranatemint Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    When my body started to break down on me and I was getting nausea nearly everyday. My bodybasically told me 'hey you got to stop, or I going to keep making you feel sick'.

There really was no other choice, being nauseous everyday is just horrible and is almost like a death sentence, anything is better than that feeling, so went to a gastroenterolagist and a dietitian and they said do this and I did and now I am slowly feeling much, much better, both mentally and physically.
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    For me it was when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. My blood pressure had always been low especially during my college years but one morning when I opened my eyes the room was spinning. I knew that I had to make a change.
  • BleedsCoffee
    BleedsCoffee Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I think my "Okay, this is enough!" moment was when I realized that despite my boyfriend's extremely supportive nature, *I* was enjoying our... ahem, "physical", time less and less due to being INCREDIBLY self conscious. Never, ever for even a moment has my significant other made me feel anything less than gorgeous, but I have been overweight since I was about 22 (I was never a "skinny" girl, but never felt "heavy" or "fat" until partway through college) and I have, time and time again, withdrawn intimately from partners when I feel fat.

I spoke to my partner about my feelings on my weight and his response rocked me to tears it was so kind and thoughtful. "I will love you whether you never lose a single pound or whether you gain one hundred, but I will also support you in whatever you endeavor to do. Anything you need from me in terms of support, just ask."

While he isn't on the path to fitness with me (quite yet), he will sit down and let me tell him all about my progress, setbacks, and goals. He offers non-stop encouragement and while he doesn't feel comfortable dispatching too much in the way of advice, I've never felt more equipped, emotionally, both because of his support and my own determination to really get fit. I want to know what it's like to run and LOVE it... and I will!
  • escalada22
    escalada22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It was my birthday in Feb and I was blowing out the candles. I blew them out and made the wish that I would be healthier, happier with myself and basically not fat anymore. I made that wish, ate cake, went home and thought about that wish I had made. I had not only made that wish this year, but the last 4 years! I realized I could keep on wishing, wanting, and hoping but until I took control of me, I would NEVER be where I wanted to be! I enjoyed my homemade cake the rest of the weekend (birthday festivities was on a Friday). By Monday morning I was back here with a venegence!!!
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    Mine was when the Dr. said my blood work indicated that I was at a very high risk for a heart attack! That did it for me. I am only 37, way too young to have those issues.
  • mikeroobuddha
    Options
    5 days after my 39th birthday with the big 40 looming..... decided that I needed to feel like a kid again and get active as I'm definitely getting older! :tongue:
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    When I got back from our ski vacation that involved eating out 3 times a day (with dessert and numerous drinks) and got on a scale. I realized that I am approaching the weight I was in my third trimester, but now I'm not even pregnant! That was sobering.
  • angeliakerry
    angeliakerry Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My "Somethings got to change" moment was when my 5 year old daughter put her hand on my belly and said, What's in there!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So, I am totally motivated to eat nothing but veggie, fruit and water for 7 days......
  • ashb811
    ashb811 Posts: 17
    Options
    I think my "Okay, this is enough!" moment was when I realized that despite my boyfriend's extremely supportive nature, *I* was enjoying our... ahem, "physical", time less and less due to being INCREDIBLY self conscious. Never, ever for even a moment has my significant other made me feel anything less than gorgeous, but I have been overweight since I was about 22 (I was never a "skinny" girl, but never felt "heavy" or "fat" until partway through college) and I have, time and time again, withdrawn intimately from partners when I feel fat.

I spoke to my partner about my feelings on my weight and his response rocked me to tears it was so kind and thoughtful. "I will love you whether you never lose a single pound or whether you gain one hundred, but I will also support you in whatever you endeavor to do. Anything you need from me in terms of support, just ask."

While he isn't on the path to fitness with me (quite yet), he will sit down and let me tell him all about my progress, setbacks, and goals. He offers non-stop encouragement and while he doesn't feel comfortable dispatching too much in the way of advice, I've never felt more equipped, emotionally, both because of his support and my own determination to really get fit. I want to know what it's like to run and LOVE it... and I will!

I love this, it's so sweet!

My moment was when I saw a picture of myself in bathing suit that friend tagged me in and then again when I got my body fat measured and they said I was getting closing to the over-weight range. I've never been in that range before and it was devestating for me. So I started to make a change. I've been on and off MFP for a year now.
  • MsDos
    MsDos Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My moment was when I saw a picture of myself and I looked heavy and unhealthy. I am tired of having to crop pictures to just my waist and above. I have been on MFP for almost a year now and today I have decided to make this change and stick with it.
  • Maximumresults
    Options
    I was cooking something to eat, dropped the flipper and when I bent over to pick it up..I began to see stars and stumbled into the kitchen countertop which broke my fall..this was long after many other moments...as I began to cry, I started to search for why I was in this place
  • freebird777
    Options

I totally relate to this...almost exactly. It's awesome to have a partner who will rub your tummy and tell you how sexy you are. But at the same time...it can hurt you as well. I got to the point where I didn't even notice my rising weight bc my boyfriend was always telling me how beautiful I was. Now, he's totally supportive just like your man. He doesn't partake in my efforts either, but he will hide the chocolate before I come over ;)
  • mkkhoza
    mkkhoza Posts: 79
    Options
    Mine was in the doctor's office after many months of tests for all various kinds of ailments which found nothing. I was on 2 hbp medications and on the fast track to diabetes. The doctor literally looked me in the eye and just simply said ""some weight loss would help"! That was 3 years ago and 40 pounds ago...I am all in now!!
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I went along with the doctor prescribing me metformin for 10 years to treat hyperinsuliemia and insulin resistance. He never called it diabetes, but let's face it - that's the same medication my diabetic grandmother takes daily. It wasn't until November 2011 when my quarterly routine blood tests (required by my doctor because of the metformin) came back saying I was at risk for heart attack - high triglycerides, high blood pressure and my cholesterol as sky high. The doctor wanted to put me on even more medication - but after a decade of pills and no treatment, I stopped going to the doc and took things into my own hands.

"Heart Attack" was my magic word.

I started counting calories November 2011, added regular exercise by March 2012 and started running (couch 2 5k) in May 2012. I've lost 35 lbs and 8% body fat. I life 3 times a week, run 3 times a week and have done two half marathons with three scheduled for 2013. In January, my gym did a blood test as part of my baseline fitness profile. After just a year of eating and exercising, my cholesterol is low, triglycerides are healthy, blood pressure is that of an athlete and I no longer have insulin/blood sugar issues. I'm medication FREE and am never going back to the way it was!!! :bigsmile:
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Mine "somethings got to change" moment was stepping on th scale Jan 27 2012 and it hit 250 that was it I cried, and cried and cried. How does 230 become 250 I had been around 230 for a couple of years it just started creaping up and bam that number was MY breaking point. My husband was very supportive and told me I just gotta do it, no other focus. I found myfitnesspal and haven't looked back since.... my husband joined my efforts right after his birthday and he has lost 75+ lbs as well. I have not finished losing the weight i want he has meet his goal but is still continuing on. He is waiting for me to meet my goals so we can celebrate together, he is my hero he has not caved once in over a year no sugar (other than fruit and yogart) and is excited for the day we celebrate together even though we are now pregnant and we are continuing on this path through pregnancy and after till I reach my goal weight. He's my rock!
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    This past December. We went in a cruise and I thought I looked cute... UNTIL I looked at the pictures with me in them. Yuck! I knew immediately that I couldn't look that way anymore!
  • wildchild06241
    wildchild06241 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I wore a pair of winter white pants that I thought looked nice. My best friend tells me the following day that she won't wear that color and type of pants because they show all the lumps and bumps that you don't want others to see. And because she is my best friend she also told me that when I turned and walked away from her the day before, she saw what I dont' want anyone to see. That's all it took! Now you will never see that stuff because I don't have it!!!!!
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    When I had to buy size 12 pants consistently. If I had gone over a size 12, I would not have been able to shop at Express anymore! :)
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    There wasn't really one particular moment for me, just a growing knowledge that I was putting on weight.
    My clothes started looking crap on me and I really noticed my face looking fat in pics - so as many people do, I made a new years resolution to lose weight and get fit.

I do that every year, this is the first time I've stuck to it for more than a week and I've lost 14lb so far.
    I even got up at 5.30am today to go swimming - if you'd have told me last year I'd be doing that one day I would have laughed at you :laugh:
  • mudpie1518
    mudpie1518 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I sit and try to tie my shoe I can't breath, and nothing that I put on fits quite the same, and every time I get on the scale it is still going up and not down. I got two tires around my waist, I can go on and on about my something got to change moment. I work in a clothing store and all of the pretty clothes are not in my size, so something got to change.