Does green tea really help with fat loss?

Options
If so why and how much should a person drink daily? :)

Replies

• princess_goal
    princess_goal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That is a good question.
    I wonder if someone will answer.
    I took once green coffee bean extract, and honestly it did NOTHING.

I think the only thing that green tea does is boost a bit your metabolism...but I am not sure, hope some people will help and answer that question.
  • jjoyce408
    jjoyce408 Posts: 24
    Options
    This is random, but I'm addicted to teavana tea. Everytime I talk to the manager of the store, he tells me that white tea is actually better for the body. It boosts the metabolism like green tea, but it's better for your immune system.

I don't know how accurate he is, so I'd also like to hear a pro who knows what they're talking about, but he's incredibly fit, (and I love white tea).

Let's hope there is some truth to it.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    In order to get the fat burning levels of EGCG that would affect weight loss, you have to drink about 10 cups in a day. Sounds daunting, but it can be done. Mix up a large pitcher of iced green tea the night before and pour it throughout the day when you want something other than water to drink.

Here is a link to a brief article : http://www.shape.com/blogs/shape-your-life/green-tea-can-help-prevent-weight-gain
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I began drinking one LARGE cup of hot green tea every morning about a month ago. I can't say that it has helped with fat loss, but it does seem to help flush out water retention.
    I will continue drinking it for its antioxidant properties and the slight diuretic effect.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    It's minor. For some minor enough to embark on a green tea diet. The BEST fat loss comes from a sensible diet, exercise and rest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    There was a study done looking at this several years ago.

One cup of green tea will increase your metabolism 1%. This effect tops out at two cups, meaning that if you drank 5 cups, your metabolism would still increase only 2%. So if you burn 2000 calories a day and drink 2 cups of green tea, you'll burn 40 extra calories. Not enough to make any difference in weight loss.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Green tea has other health benefits. Drink it for those benefits.

If you think it's going to help you lose fat in the absence of a diet and training program designed for fat loss, you're going to be disappointed. And if you have the right diet and training program for fat loss, green tea isn't going to matter.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Green tea has other health benefits. Drink it for those benefits.

If you think it's going to help you lose fat in the absence of a diet and training program designed for fat loss, you're going to be disappointed. And if you have the right diet and training program for fat loss, green tea isn't going to matter.

aye :drinker:
  • rubypond
    rubypond Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My cousin drank Green tea and swore that it aided in her weight loss. I don't really know if it does or not, the results wasn't noticeable to me, but then that is me. If she felt better about herself and was losing that is all the better for her. I personally have tried everything on the market when it comes to weight loss aids. And I mean everything. If it was out there I tried it and that goes all the way back to the age of Phen-Phen. But after doing more research on what natural products could help you in your efforts of weight loss I found an article that someone said hot water, honey and cinnamon would aid in weight loss, so I tried it. Needless to say cinnamon doesn't dissolve so that was just a bit hard to swallow. After doing more research I found that Biotin (b vitamin) also aids in weight loss by raising your metabolism. Not to mention the other health gains that are with that, better skin, nails and hair. So I went and picked up some biotin and while doing that noticed that cinnamon actually comes in a capsule. Picked them both up and started taking them 2 weeks ago. Due to injuries I have not been able to work out the last 2 weeks, but as you can see by my signature bar I have lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks. That is more then I have ever lost taking anything that claims to have you see the lbs melt off. I am quite happy with these and will continue to take them. I can only assume the weight loss will be even greater once I can start working out again. And what I love even more about these is the fact that they are natural so you aren't putting any chemicals into your body and there are zero side effects. No racing heart, feeling light headed etc, the things you get when you take those weight loss aids.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    probably not if thats all youre doing but it is very good for you so drink up!
  • Alison_93
    Alison_93 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
    I have already lost 10 pounds by eating healthily, exercising and using MFP. I made a new profile yesterday so it does not show my progress yet. I know green tea has health benefits and with 1 calorie a cup you can't go wrong, that's why I am drinking it. I was just curious :)
  • KLC2784
    KLC2784 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I can't really say for certain that it has helped with my fat loss, but it has most definitely made a difference in my energy levels and overall feelings of awesome-ness. I am a former coffee junkie who randomly decided to quit cold turkey and make the switch to tea. It has now been 11 weeks since my last cup of coffee and I honestly have never felt better! I drink at least 2 cups of green tea a day (sometimes more) and throughout the day I also will have other teas such as chamomile, white tea, black tea, etc. I love going to the store and picking out new teas to try! I told myself that if I really wanted a cup of coffee, I would have one... no deprivation... but honestly, so far I have not had any desire for coffee.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's just a myth but a lot of studies show that it does aid with fat loss. I drink green tea because it just keeps me full and prevents me from binging