"Bruschetta" style pizza!

Options
faithstephenson
faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
Tonight I tried something new. I like to make pizza at home, and it fits in my nutritional goals as long as I only have it once a week, or so. Usually I make it pepperoni, because that's something we all enjoy in my family. But the other night I picked some basil from the garden and was trying to figure out what to do with it. Then the idea came to mind of bruschetta (Red Lobster has some killer bruschetta, which is what made me think of it). So, I thought for a while about what I could do, and then I thought of pizza. So I made a cheese pizza, with less sauce and cheese than I usually use, then topped it with the bruschetta stuff I made. So good! it was the kind of thing, where I had to cut my pizza into pieced and get some topping then some pizza and eat it that way, but still soooo good!

Topping:
4 roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
6 leaves basil, chopped
2 T olive oil
2 t balsamic vinegar
1/2 T Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic (use whatever garlic you like)
some salt to taste

combine the produce in a small bowl. Whisk the olive oil, vinegar, and garlic together and pour over produce. Toss, and salt to taste. I covered this with plastic wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator for a couple hours before using.

Replies

• guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Bump sounds yummy :glasses:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    That sounds so good! How do you do the rest of your pizza? So far homemade for me is pillsbury dough with homemade sauce and some cheese... I'm looking for a way to make the dough too. :)
  • faithstephenson
    Options
    That sounds so good! How do you do the rest of your pizza? So far homemade for me is pillsbury dough with homemade sauce and some cheese... I'm looking for a way to make the dough too. :)

I actually use Betty Crocker dough mix. I use 4 packages to make a really big pizza. I use the squeeze sauce there in the aisle, and some shredded mozzerella/cheddar mix. I use string cheese to make a stuffed crust. It sounds like it's bad nutritionally, but when you compare it to Pizza Hut or something, it's not too bad, and one piece is plenty to fill me up. I have a recipe for dough, but it takes a while, and this stuff is really good. I sometimes mix in some Tastefully Simple Onion Onion (just some different dried onions, sweet peppers, garlic, type mix) to the dough mix before I add the water and that makes it super tasty:)
  • EboniA
    EboniA Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    That sounds so yummy!! We grow basil too so I will difinetly make a pizza with it. We usually make an omelet with mozzarella cheese, basil, tomato, and a little olive oil. It's like a delicacy. Thanks!
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    sounds great! can't wait to try it!
  • faithstephenson
    Options
    That sounds so yummy!! We grow basil too so I will difinetly make a pizza with it. We usually make an omelet with mozzarella cheese, basil, tomato, and a little olive oil. It's like a delicacy. Thanks!

wow! that sounds yummy too:) have to try it!
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    we make pizza at home a lot, and this sounds very much like one we would make.

we often don't use sauce, just a little olive oil (because we always make everything from scratch and if we don't have sauce made, well... i normally won't make it just for pizza) and garlic, slicing thinly whatever vegetables we have on hand. when we're low on cheese, we just try to spread it around.. haha!

sometimes we use goat cheese or feta, too. this sounds delicious. i can't wait to try it when my tomatoes come up! so close!!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

I actually use Betty Crocker dough mix. I use 4 packages to make a really big pizza. I use the squeeze sauce there in the aisle, and some shredded mozzerella/cheddar mix. I use string cheese to make a stuffed crust. It sounds like it's bad nutritionally, but when you compare it to Pizza Hut or something, it's not too bad, and one piece is plenty to fill me up. I have a recipe for dough, but it takes a while, and this stuff is really good. I sometimes mix in some Tastefully Simple Onion Onion (just some different dried onions, sweet peppers, garlic, type mix) to the dough mix before I add the water and that makes it super tasty:)

omg! okay, listen. i don't know how much the bc pizza dough mix is, but pizza dough is really really really really easy to make and you should have most of the ingredients on hand already and is much healthier when you control the ingredients. it should take the same amount of time as the bc dough mix, because dough still needs time to rise. if your mix is promising earlier rises, then i'd be super wary of it because god knows what kinds of chemicals they might possess to accomplish such a feat.

pizza dough

1c water
    1tbs yeast
    2tsp sugar
    1tsp salt
    2-3c flour

seriously, that's all.

mix the yeast, water & sugar in a bowl, then add flour cup by cup until the dough is thick enough to be handled, then knead flour and salt in.

you can use 100% wheat flour; you can add chopped herbs, cheese, flax seed, whatever!
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options

omg! okay, listen. i don't know how much the bc pizza dough mix is, but pizza dough is really really really really easy to make and you should have most of the ingredients on hand already and is much healthier when you control the ingredients. it should take the same amount of time as the bc dough mix, because dough still needs time to rise. if your mix is promising earlier rises, then i'd be super wary of it because god knows what kinds of chemicals they might possess to accomplish such a feat.

pizza dough

1c water
    1tbs yeast
    2tsp sugar
    1tsp salt
    2-3c flour

seriously, that's all.

mix the yeast, water & sugar in a bowl, then add flour cup by cup until the dough is thick enough to be handled, then knead flour and salt in.

you can use 100% wheat flour; you can add chopped herbs, cheese, flax seed, whatever!

Thanks this sounds so easy my daughter loves making pizza ,does the c stand for cup?

I love a multiseed bread sandwich with light philly cheese wafer thin ham and basil leaves ,yummy .
  • aprueitt
    aprueitt Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump