2»

Replies

• MRMCCRACKEN
    Options
    Brooks
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You need to get to a running specialty shop and have them analyze your gait. Everyone has their favorites, but different brands work for different shaped feet. I finally went to a specialty shop after running for a year in my old shoes, and it truly makes all the difference in the world! Just make sure you give yourself enough time to get used to the new shoes before your race, though.
  • coacherik
    coacherik Posts: 73
    Options
    FInd a good running shoe store... I went in, they sized me up and I am in Brooks Beasts... No more ankle pain, Knee Pain, or back pain. A good Running Shoe Store will size you up correctly. FYI... they are not cheap... I use to pay $40-50 for Asics and wore by them... now I pay $140... but they are SOOOOO worth every penny!!!
  • EricV440
    EricV440 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Saucony is the only shoe that I can run in.
    Go to two or three running stores and get a gait analysis done. Hopefully, they will all agree on what type of runner you are. Also, get your feet measured. You may be surprised at the size! I wore a 9.5 standard, off the shelf shoe for most of my adult life. The size I wear now is 10.5 4E! In some instances, a size 11 shoe.
    Try on a bunch of shoes and write down the ones you like. Tell the shop that you need to think about it.

Go online to Zappos and order the shoes you want. Zappos has free, fast shipping both ways, and a 365 day return policy. Sign up for the VIP club and you get preferred shipping. I don't know how they do it, but I order a pair of shoes on Thursday and they are here in SoFla by Friday!

They also have a good selection and large sizes. I wear a 10.5 4E shoe, which isn't the easiest size to find.

The other thing you may want to try is inserts. There are a whole bunch out there and you can try those with your shoes to get the most comfort.
  • mamafish2313
    Options
    Asics, Brooks, Mizuno. In that order.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I used to buy Nikes but now I LOVE my Asics and buy a new pair every year. But don't get the cheaper ones, it's the ones closer to $100 with the thick gel in the heel that are great. I also have been itching for the new balance minimus shoes but haven't quite gotten myself to buy them because I'm nervous of switching to a more barefoot type shoe.

Just make sure to break them in before your 5k! :)

I now have 3 pair of Asics Kayano collecting dust since I got the NB Minimus. My experience with the shoe has been A+. Durability is disappointing (I got the trail shoe though Im a road runner)

I might try the Minimus Road shoe next or probably the Merrell Road Glove. http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/26342M/69118/Mens/Barefoot-Run-Road-Glove
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    The poster did say a *good* running shop. I've never been 'plonked' in anything at the shop I go to. I try several shoes, on the mill, and they have a fair returns policy.

And more importantly, Shin splints are far more likely caused by overuse, than by bad shoes....

Sorta right. Shin splints are generally caused by the "Terrible Toos" - Too far, Too soon, Too hard....but engineered shoes can & do contribute.
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Go get fitted. I got Brooks and will be getting another pair after I eat through these ones :)
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    brooks then new balance. right now my fav pair is brooks glycerin 9. if you're going to continue with your running get fitted for a good pair. HUGE DIFFERENCE.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Get to a running store, and have them analyse your gait - it's the best way to get good recommendations, as everyone moves differently. What's the best shoe for me, might be the absolute worst shoe for you.

Agreed.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    As the previous posts mentioned, go to a running store to find what does and doesn't work for you

As for me me, I prefer Saucony, I have had success with both the Progrid Omni and Progrid Guide in the Saucony brand.