Is this magic?

Options
First of all, I've been on a weight loss journey for almost 3 years now, and I've never experienced that before.

Recently, since I'm getting close to my goals, I decided to change my method a bit, I started focusing on my weekly calorie goal instead of precisely eating the same amount every day. To make it short, I eat weekly 8400kcals, and I divide those calories however I want throughout 7 days. At first it seemed kinda bizarre and unbelievable to me that this would work, so I pushed this method as far as I could for 3 weeks to see if it would actually make a change. I ate chocolate, candy on easter and on last monday I had a large pizza for myself. Of course, I compensated the calories on the other days so I'd stay within 8400kcals in the end.

I LOST WEIGHT. WHAT?

how is this even possible? Why does the body work like this? I'm not complaining AT ALL, I just wanted a scientific explanation for this, because sincerely, I'm amazed, I never thought I could eat whatever I want and STILL lose weight.

Replies

• MyNameIsRita
    Options
    so after the pizza and everything you had to restrict a lot on the other days, no? didnt you feel hungry on those days?
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    it's all about the overall deficit. if at the end of a certain period of time (say, a week) you're under the amount of calories you would need to maintain your weight, then you will lose weight. the mobile app has a nifty little chart that shows your daily intake and then your average intake over the week.
  • RhodRhod
    RhodRhod Posts: 109
    Options
    Maybe calories in vs. calories out. You can still lose weight on junk food if you don't go over in calories. Only choice is do I really want to do that to my body? Of course it's a personal choice.
  • slhodge78
    slhodge78 Posts: 16
    Options
    I do this, too. It's working so far.
  • lunaticlover
    Options
    so after the pizza and everything you had to restrict a lot on the other days, no? didnt you feel hungry on those days?

Weirdly I didn't, I felt still kinda full and bloated from the pizza.
  • lunaticlover
    Options
    it's all about the overall deficit. if at the end of a certain period of time (say, a week) you're under the amount of calories you would need to maintain your weight, then you will lose weight. the mobile app has a nifty little chart that shows your daily intake and then your average intake over the week.

Since I don't have a smartphone I use an excel spreadsheet haha
  • lunaticlover
    Options
    I do this, too. It's working so far.

Yay! How long have you been doing this for?
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have done it my whole life. I read about the idea 40 years ago and have proven it to myself.

The reason you never hear about it is because weight loss gimmicks are big business.
  • WendyFlynn
    WendyFlynn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hey

Congratulations on your weight loss, such a great achievement!

At the beginning of my weight loss journey, I worked, like you do now, to a weekly total of 8400 calories (1200 per day), I 'saved' calories for weekly treat meals that I knew I would have, for example, every Thursday evening I would have a chinese meal with my Father and every Saturday I would have a takeaway of choice with my other half.

However, I made up for these decadent days with two low calorie days per week. I didn't realise I was unintentionally doing the 5:2 method!

I lost weight, just the same as you are doing now. I felt like I could continue in this way forever as I didn't feel deprived. I am now on maintenance and continue with my two 500 calorie days per week and now my feast days are mega, usually between 2000 and 3000 calories per day!!!! I still work to my weekly maintenance total and have not gained.

The truth of the matter is that you are still creating a deficit so therefore will continue to lose weight. Your body does not recognise one day to the next, only a deficit of calories over a sustained period of time.

Good luck in reaching your goals :smile:
  • lunaticlover
    Options
    Hey

Congratulations on your weight loss, such a great achievement!

At the beginning of my weight loss journey, I worked, like you do now, to a weekly total of 8400 calories (1200 per day), I 'saved' calories for weekly treat meals that I knew I would have, for example, every Thursday evening I would have a chinese meal with my Father and every Saturday I would have a takeaway of choice with my other half.

However, I made up for these decadent days with two low calorie days per week. I didn't realise I was unintentionally doing the 5:2 method!

I lost weight, just the same as you are doing now. I felt like I could continue in this way forever as I didn't feel deprived. I am now on maintenance and continue with my two 500 calorie days per week and now my feast days are mega, usually between 2000 and 3000 calories per day!!!! I still work to my weekly maintenance total and have not gained.

The truth of the matter is that you are still creating a deficit so therefore will continue to lose weight. Your body does not recognise one day to the next, only a deficit of calories over a sustained period of time.

Good luck in reaching your goals :smile:

That is absolutely wonderful to hear!! How many times do you weight yourself/when?? I've been confused and I try not to weight after the high caloric days haha
  • WendyFlynn
    WendyFlynn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Oh and btw, I keep pushing my maintenance calories up and up, testing the water so to speak!! I find I am maintaining on 1915 cals per day @ 137lbs and 5ft 4!! I am a bit scared to push it much more :blushing:

This means generally, 5 days a week, I am eating around 2500 cals (due to 2 500 cal days which I have grown to love and like you, do not feel extra hungry due to eating more on non fast days).

My weigh in day is every Thursday morning, this is a personal choice due to my 2 fast days being early in the working week (Mon and Wed) and I find the weekend excesses will not show on the scale by then lol.

I never skip a weigh in, I don't want my hard work to be in vain. I have gone on to maintenance twice now and have not gained when working to a weekly total. Also, a bonus, when I decide to lose again, it goes off pretty quickly in the first few weeks! :smile:
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    This is the premise that weight watchers uses when it gives you bonus points to use, I believe.
  • lunaticlover
    Options
    Anyone else have a story to share? I'm very interested, seems like a method I could take for my whole life:drinker:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    With a weekly total of 8400 cals this means your daily average is only 1200 cals so it's not surprising you are losing weight.

There are plenty of people on here who follow the If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM) approach, meaning basically eat what you like within your calorie goal. If there's a calorie deficit then weight will be lost regardless of what is eaten.
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think a stricter daily calorie limit vs averaging over a week is more or less different paths to the same destination (overall calorie deficit). The only thing to remember and be slightly cautious about is that averaging over a week or longer period has its limitations. To take an extreme example, probably not the best idea to consume 8400 calories on Day 1 and fast the other 6 days.

The other reason that daily calorie limits might be preferred is that it can be a little bit easier to mentally get accustomed to roughly the same amount of calories per day vs a mix of days of indulgence and restriction. But if you can manage it safely, then by all means.
  • lunaticlover
    Options
    I think a stricter daily calorie limit vs averaging over a week is more or less different paths to the same destination (overall calorie deficit). The only thing to remember and be slightly cautious about is that averaging over a week or longer period has its limitations. To take an extreme example, probably not the best idea to consume 8400 calories on Day 1 and fast the other 6 days.

The other reason that daily calorie limits might be preferred is that it can be a little bit easier to mentally get accustomed to roughly the same amount of calories per day vs a mix of days of indulgence and restriction. But if you can manage it safely, then by all means.

I get that, but I think this weekly calorie stuff is wonderful, I mean, I ate a whole pizza and still lost weight haha