End of the day : under 1200 calories but not hungry....

Options

Replies

• Penny_Lane_
    Penny_Lane_ Posts: 163
    Options
    In ten steps I shall give you an answer to your issue:

1.- Go to kitchen
    2.- Grab spoon
    3.- Grab peanut butter
    4.- Dip spoon in peanut butter
    5.- direct spoon with peanut butter on it to mouth
    6.- open mouth
    7.- Inset spoon with peanut butter in mouth
    8.- Chew
    9.- Swallow
    10.- BAM 200 CALORIES.
  • SafiyaBWG
    SafiyaBWG Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    And I gained weight by eating kilos of nutella, and chocolate, and cheese ! So when I cut down on that, it's really hard to reach 1200 calories most days, my weight gain was never due to eating too much in general, but eating mostly crap
  • SafiyaBWG
    Options

1.- Go to kitchen
    2.- Grab spoon
    3.- Grab peanut butter
    6.- open mouth
    8.- Chew
    9.- Swallow
    10.- BAM 200 CALORIES.

I finished the peanut butter... I would have loved to do that ! :)
  • gregwhitley
    gregwhitley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I can never understand when people say this. No offense intended but most people who are here are trying to lose weight because they have gained it at some point... obviously eating way more than 1200 calories, and well above maintenance calories... so how is is anyone here can be struggling to eat 1200?? Workout, eat real foods with good fats and you will have no problem eating your calories

QFT. I wish I had this problem. Just like everything else though, everyone is different. I have friends who are taller/more muscular than me who are like "how can you STILL be hungry?!". A couple have suggested that I try competitive eating (yeah right). Even if I wanted to gorge myself like that - and I DO NOT - those folks are in a different class altogether.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

1.- Go to kitchen
    2.- Grab spoon
    3.- Grab peanut butter
    6.- open mouth
    8.- Chew
    9.- Swallow
    10.- BAM 200 CALORIES.

I can answer it in ONE easy little step:

1. Eat a spoonful of peanut butter.

:laugh:
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    When people have difficulty achieving a measly 1200 calories per day, it is usually because they've basically cut fat from their diet...fat free this and that...low fat this and that. Your body needs fat...fat doesn't make you fat...eat more fat. Look to things like nuts, nut butters, avocado, cooking with some olive oil or coconut oil or peanut oil...basically stop cutting all the fat, the '80s are over and I'd like to leave the no fat nonsense where it belongs.

other causes are eating less meat (i'm semi-veg) so sometimes I cant make 1200 calories without trying,
    I try to focus on making my meals add up to 400 calories... I'm a breakfast eater. I'm grumpy without food, I need it before ANYTHING else, so I want a nice filling breakfast... if my breakfast is falling short of calories I add something like a slice of ham, some cheese, but usually almond butter or hemp hearts - it takes nothing to crank it up another 100 calories
    Lunches I will add cheese or avocado to ramp it up.
    I never have trouble getting my dinner to add up to 400 calories, so no help there!
    If you are not a breakfast eater you can divide it more like 200, 400, 600... this always leaves room for a 100-250 calorie snack, but you don't HAVE to have it

I'm just suggesting you plan your eating around not being under 1200 by the end of the day.

The trick is to find balance. You can't DIET everything all the time... you need to find ways to manage eating forever
    this will include snacking at times... it will include beer at time (my extra calories last night went to two beers, and they were gooood) That's why I work for my core meals to be 1200, with wiggle room for seconds or a treat.
  • Shereta5
    Shereta5 Posts: 13
    Options

1.- Go to kitchen
    2.- Grab spoon
    3.- Grab peanut butter
    6.- open mouth
    8.- Chew
    9.- Swallow
    10.- BAM 200 CALORIES.

:laugh: nuff said!
  • SafiyaBWG
    Options
    When people have difficulty achieving a measly 1200 calories per day, it is usually because they've basically cut fat from their diet...fat free this and that...low fat this and that. Your body needs fat...fat doesn't make you fat...eat more fat. Look to things like nuts, nut butters, avocado, cooking with some olive oil or coconut oil or peanut oil...basically stop cutting all the fat, the '80s are over and I'd like to leave the no fat nonsense where it belongs.

other causes are eating less meat (i'm semi-veg) so sometimes I cant make 1200 calories without trying,
    I try to focus on making my meals add up to 400 calories... I'm a breakfast eater. I'm grumpy without food, I need it before ANYTHING else, so I want a nice filling breakfast... if my breakfast is falling short of calories I add something like a slice of ham, some cheese, but usually almond butter or hemp hearts - it takes nothing to crank it up another 100 calories
    Lunches I will add cheese or avocado to ramp it up.
    I never have trouble getting my dinner to add up to 400 calories, so no help there!
    If you are not a breakfast eater you can divide it more like 200, 400, 600... this always leaves room for a 100-250 calorie snack, but you don't HAVE to have it

I'm just suggesting you plan your eating around not being under 1200 by the end of the day.

The trick is to find balance. You can't DIET everything all the time... you need to find ways to manage eating forever
    this will include snacking at times... it will include beer at time (my extra calories last night went to two beers, and they were gooood) That's why I work for my core meals to be 1200, with wiggle room for seconds or a treat.

The problem with that is that I eat according to my stomach, if i'm hungry, I'll eat a lot (sometimes a 900 calories meal) but if I'm not, I can live on a slice of bread, or just a salad, and in no way can I put anything more if I'm not hungry, or I'll get an upset stomach....
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I can never understand when people say this. No offense intended but most people who are here are trying to lose weight because they have gained it at some point... obviously eating way more than 1200 calories, and well above maintenance calories... so how is is anyone here can be struggling to eat 1200?? Workout, eat real foods with good fats and you will have no problem eating your calories

^^This. I was wondering about that myself.
  • hayleyclare34
    hayleyclare34 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Being under 1200 calories once in a while won't hurt you at all, just don't make it a daily habit. I tend to look more at my weekly picture rather than each day. Being under on one or two days can offset being over a day or two.

I don't see the point in forcing yourself to eat if you're just not hungry. There's a few days I've been under and don't eat non-fat/low fat stuff. Then again, I also have those days where I over indulge and go over. It all balances out in the end though.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    As others have said, being below occasionally (say once/month) probably won't hurt you. However...
    not being hungry can be a symptom that you've already lowered your metabolism and squashed your body's ability to signal hunger.
    Healthy people feel hungry occasionally.
    On the other hand, if you're eating lots of bulky, foods that are not calorie dense, as others have mentioned, you're probably missing some key nutrients. Your body needs a certain amount of fat to process some vitamins and to maintain healthy processes. Some "healthy" calorie dense foods are avocados, nuts, olives (and oils from these foods). You can find many other lists here on MFP.
    Another "danger" from eating a diet that doesn't have these foods is that it can trigger cravings and/or binges for many people.
    Even small, sedendary people usually need more than 1,200 calories per day to maintain healthy body functions, but again, the occasional low day won't hurt.

If you look around on this site, you'll find hundreds (no exageration) of posts like yours from people who aren't hungry on 1,200 calories, and hundreds more about "why can't I lose on 1,200 calories or lower?" Too low a calorie intake especially combined with too much exercise, and you can actually slow down your weight loss, never mind risking your health. See http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

For more suggestions, also see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-to-use-myfitnesspal-427993

Good luck!
  • hayleyclare34
    hayleyclare34 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

^^This. I was wondering about that myself.

It may seem crazy to you, but everyone's different. I workout twice a day, walk my dog for 30mins, have a physically demanding job and still sometimes battle to eat 1200 calories. Sometimes you're just not hungry and I'm sorry but I'm not going to eat junk just to reach the calories.
  • SafiyaBWG
    Options
    As others have said, being below occasionally (say once/month) probably won't hurt you. However...
    not being hungry can be a symptom that you've already lowered your metabolism and squashed your body's ability to signal hunger.
    On the other hand, if you're eating lots of bulky, foods that are not calorie dense, as others have mentioned, you're probably missing some key nutrients. Your body needs a certain amount of fat to process some vitamins and to maintain healthy processes. Some "healthy" calorie dense foods are avocados, nuts, olives (and oils from these foods). You can find many other lists here on MFP.
    Another "danger" from eating a diet that doesn't have these foods is that it can trigger cravings and/or binges for many people.
    Even small, sedendary people usually need more than 1,200 calories per day to maintain healthy body functions, but again, the occasional low day won't hurt.

If you look around on this site, you'll find hundreds (no exageration) of posts like yours from people who aren't hungry on 1,200 calories, and hundreds more about "why can't I lose on 1,200 calories or lower?" Too low a calorie intake especially combined with too much exercise, and you can actually slow down your weight loss, never mind risking your health. See http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

For more suggestions, also see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-to-use-myfitnesspal-427993

Good luck!

Yeah, I nkow what you said in the beginning, but my problem is that it happens quite a lot.
    Regarding fat, I had avocados, oils and nuts today, and they are a guilty pleasure of mine so no problem there.
    I had veggies, meat, carbs, sugary foods, dairy, healthy fats, so I don't think I'm missing nutrients.... So yeah, basically my problem is that lately I haven't been really hungry, without hitting 1200 calories.
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    What? i don't understand how some people have problem with eat more than 1200 calories!! for me it's the oppositive!! I have to care abpout no eating more than 1700 calories!!!

I think that you aren't selection adequate food, if you need to increase the calories what you eat, try with nuts, avocado, fruits (like mango or banana), whole grains, etc etc!!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Yeah, I nkow what you said in the beginning, but my problem is that it happens quite a lot.
    Regarding fat, I had avocados, oils and nuts today, and they are a guilty pleasure of mine so no problem there.
    I had veggies, meat, carbs, sugary foods, dairy, healthy fats, so I don't think I'm missing nutrients.... So yeah, basically my problem is that lately I haven't been really hungry, without hitting 1200 calories.
    Why are those foods (avocados, nuts, etc.) a guilty pleasure? They're healthy, and you need the calories.
    Try spreading out your eating, if too much at once feels bad.
    But if you're not feeling hungry on 1,200 calories, especially with exercise, you've probably already messed up your metabolism to the point where it's not giving your body good cues anymore.
  • needlework
    needlework Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I can fully sympathize with the OP. Though I tend to HIT the 1200 - 1500 calorie mark, my problem is that I tend to BURN 1200 + calories through out the day! I've posted in a couple of different threads questions about HOW to boost the calorie intake, so that at the end of the day I've got an actual number that's not in the negatives or low hundreds for a net!

I hear the comments about adding fruits, breads, and different nut butters, but being diabetic, those items are off the menu entirely, unless I want to suffer through the horrid side effects of the glucose control medications. (Thank you NO!)

I've tried adding avocados, nuts, jerky, just about anything low carb, high protein/fat to the menu, but the calories just don't stack up at the end of the day.

Now, granted, yes, when I was still eating carbs on a regular basis, I actually had trouble keeping the end-of-day numbers within the goal +/- 100, but with such a large macro having to be heavily restricted, it's turned into a nightmare effort to make the numbers come out right, even on days when I DON'T have the monster exercise burns!

Oh, and this has started turning into a regular occurrence. I think this makes week 3 of NETTING for the week 5000 + LOW!

Edit: adding time frame, correcting spelling.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that nobody here has anorexia and that everyone is eating a basically healthy diet. Having said that, don't worry about it.

--You're probably eating more than you think. It's easy to do.
    --It will probably even out over the week.

Are you hungry, do you feel weak, are you unable to function? The obvious answer is to eat more.

If she is logging her calories she is not eating more than she thinks...
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that nobody here has anorexia and that everyone is eating a basically healthy diet. Having said that, don't worry about it.

Are you hungry, do you feel weak, are you unable to function? The obvious answer is to eat more.

Not true. She may not be recording accurately. Even if you weigh everything you can still underestimate.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options

I you weigh everything, unless you are illiterate, you can't under estimate. The scale weight does not lie. Only if the person weighing the food can't read the numbers correctly.

Not true. She may not be recording accurately. Even if you weigh everything you can still underestimate.