A somewhat sad NSV

Options
jody664
jody664 Posts: 397 Member
So yesterday I had a really big fight with a friend. One of those can't-sleep-now, friendship-ending kind of fights. It was ugly. It was emotional. And the urge was there to "soothe" myself with some donuts, ice cream, or other fattening foods. But I did some self-talk and convinced myself that 1) I would feel worse if I ate a bunch of crap, 2) it would not change the situation one bit, and 3) was I really going to let this derail me from my goals? Isn't this the kind of silly thinking that got me up to 200+ lb in the first place?

So I drank a huge glass of water instead.

The situation still hurts, but I feel proud of myself for not letting a very emotional situation get me off track.

Replies

• mjpbgtd
    mjpbgtd Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Those fights are the worst! Sounds like you've made a lot of progress learning how to take care of yourself rather than "hurt" yourself. Congratulations and good luck moving on.
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Poor you xxx horrible when that happens xxx you should be so proud of yourself though xxxx
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that about your friend, but good job on learning to deal with it without food. It is a difficult thing. I was happy when I realized this also, especially when I learned to deal with stress by exercising.
  • dark_angel1554
    dark_angel1554 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Fights can be so stressful! Good for you for keeping things into perspective and making good choices.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I'm very proud of you! I am sorry to hear about your emotional difficulties, but you handled it with amazing will power, strength and courage.

Hang in there, it can and will get better.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    congratulations on not turning one bad thing into two!!!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    While I am really sorry you had that kind of a fight with a friend, I think it was a huge victory for you! Being able to make those choices in such an emotional time is an excellent accomplishment. I love point #2 - that turning to junk won't change the situation. That's so true and worth remembering over and over.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Fabulous victory!!! I have to stop myself from self-sabotaging due to stress and what not sometimes too... it can be soooo easy to turn to food, when you learn that you don't have to do that ...it is the BEST feeling!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    That's a HUGE nsv. Figuring out how to deal with emotions without food is about 90% of the battle for a lot of us! Well done, but sorry you are having a rotten time of it right now. Taking care of yourself will help you to feel better!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Wonderful. I hope I remember this the next time the kitchen is "promising" to soothe me.
  • jody664
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the encouragement from you all.
  • DeeC01
    DeeC01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Well done - those situation make me rave alohol and Chinese taake-out!! The whole f*k it - whats the point is benggood when I feel like this.......... That you stayed strong, shows great will power - keep it up.
  • SDHudgins1976
    Options
    That's a HUGE NSV! I'm so sorry you had to go through the situation though...

(I have found since starting to exercise hopping on my exercise bike helps... then conveniently enough if I'm still wanting that ice cream, I've just burned the calories, though most the time I don't want it anymore!)
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    although the nsv occured through a rough moment! You did learn something about yourself, you didn't give in to self loathing, congrats!
  • Its_All_Gongfu
    Its_All_Gongfu Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That was a true, and brutal test...And you OWNED it!! :drinker: Be proud!
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    That's great that you were able to avoid temptation. I'm sorry that it took this difficult event for you to see just how strong you are.
  • lhgalant
    lhgalant Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    good for you! emotional eating can be so hard to overcome!! you just proved you have so much control!!! congrats! but, truly sorry about the loss of a friend =(
  • jody664
    Options
    Thanks again for all your kind words and support. While writing my post, I realized that I can't control the situation (if my friend can't see my point of view and support me in it, there's nothing I can do to change that), but I CAN control my reaction to the situation. So even though I'm sad today, I have a sense of peace about it and not allowing it to wreck the good work I've already done.

Thanks again for your words of support!
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your fight but your willpower is AMAZING!!!!! Great job
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I too have lost a friend during this journey. Dealing with emotional eating is challanging and every situation that is hard will be a new challenge. One small victory at a time it can be done. Good for you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!