Is the machine at the gym the same as squats? Better/worse?

Options
Terrible terminology but you know the one where you put like 45lbs on each side then you sit down, put your feet on the platform and stretch your legs out almost like the squat position....Is that better than doing squats, the same, or totally different? What muscles does it work?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about the leg press?

No, it's not the same as a squat because the squat uses your whole body, while the press isolates muscles in your legs. Not saying it's not a good exercise, just that it's not the same (and I would consider squats to be more effective)>
  • PureAdamic
    PureAdamic Posts: 185
    Options
    Sounds like a leg press. It is similar to the squat, works nearly the same muscles, and a great machine because you can overload your muscles without worrying about your form deteriorating to much.

That being said, the only thing that can beat a squat, its more squats.
  • catrunsintowindow
    catrunsintowindow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    There is a huge core component to squats that is lost on the leg press, so in that way it's quite a bit worse.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Im terrible at actual squats i never even know if i am doing them right
  • PureAdamic
    Options
    Im terrible at actual squats i never even know if i am doing them right

Take a video of you doing them, preferably with weight and 8 reps or more, and post it here. We can help you improve.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    The advice I received is it is worse and squats are preferable. The machine stabilizes the weight for you and forces you along an unnatural path. The machine works the same basic muscle groups, but does not allow you to work your stabilizer muscles.

There is a thread in the Eat, Train, Progress group to check your form and where you can post a video to get tips.

edit: Link to the thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911984-form-critique-thread-post-your-videos-here
  • PureAdamic
    Options
    The machine forces you along an unnatural path.

Could you not find this path of motion in nature? Pushing a weight away from you with both legs? because I sure can find it. The argument of "unnatural path" is silly.