Discouraging first week on Herbalife

Options
I started the Herbalife program last Sunday. I followed through with it exactly to a "T", worked out 5 times this week to my Jillian Michael's DVDS, and drank my water. So not surprisingly I was extremely discouraged to see that I had only lost ONE FREAKING POUND this week!! Ugh!!! I a a 23 yr old 6 foot female, 180 lbs, and have been eating 1,280 calories per day since on the plan. Where am I going wrong? Was hoping Herbalife would jumpstart my weight loss (I want to get back down to 165) but it's not seeming like that's the case.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Because it's a rip off by chance? There are no magic weight loss pills and under eating is not a healthy way to lose weight.
  • JackieLivingHealthy
    JackieLivingHealthy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Is 1,280 cals a day undereating?
  • johnnylufc
    johnnylufc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    think you are not eating a enough
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Is 1,280 cals a day undereating?
    23 yr old 6 foot female, 180 lbs

Uh, ya.
  • JackieLivingHealthy
    Options
    Then how many calories do you suggest?!

And by the way, that is what MFP recommended me to have calorie-wise to lose 1-2 lbs per week after I entered in all my info.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    For your height and weight, I would say yes, 1280 is under eating. I'm 5'8" and eat 1800+ a day and lost fat/weight, still working on whittling the fat down a bit (hit goal weight eating this way).

Likely your BMR, basically your coma calories, is higher than 1280, so you're giving your body very little fuel for being an upright, walking & talking, active woman as opposed to a comatose one. :tongue:

Great info here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

It walks you through the whole process, find your BMR and your TDEE, and eat in between those numbers. Adjust your macros to what's recommended there too, and aim for goal every day. Eat well, exercise, rest, repeat. :smile:
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Did you eat 1280 calories every day, even the days you worked out?If so your body may be saying "woah! What are you doing to me here??"

Personally I would die on 1200-ish calories a day. It just isn't enough food for me. I am a 34 year old female, 5'9 inches. Starting weight was 239.6, current weight 226.8. I eat between 1500-2000 calories a day, depending on the day, on average. Sometimes I eat way more; rarely do I ever go below 1500. I do Bikram yoga 3-4 times a week and I walk a lot.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I suggest you go over to fat2fitradio.com and use their calculators to establish your body fat percentage and what it will take to get to your goal.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Ditch the overpriced herbalife stuff, and eat real food. Here's a great post that explains things in a concise, easy to understand manner:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

PS - I'm 41, 5'2", and weigh less than you. But I'm still eating more than you are, and still losing weight.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about Herbalife, but the loss sounds fine to me. You shouldn't try and lose more than one or two pounds a week, particularly as you don't have that much to lose. It doesn't sound like you are eating enough actually. At 6 ft you need more calories than that a day I'm sure! (I'm 5ft 11, around the same weight as you with the same goal, but I started off at 229). Some will say ( including me ) that you need to eat the exercise calories too, so if you are working out 5 days a week that's a lot of calories. Others will say they never eat them, so it's your choice really. The loss rate is fine. I'm not sure you need the Herbalife though. Good old fashioned exercise and diet control does the trick! Good luck! Friend me if you would like my support:)
  • JackieLivingHealthy
    Options
    You can bet your butt I'm not buying more of this stuff!!!!! LOL
  • JackieLivingHealthy
    Options
    I think I just have a lot to learn about weight loss....there is so much I don't understand! Most people would scratch their heads at the fact that eating MORE could help you actually LOSE weight. I appreciate all links, tips, etc. Thank you.
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    i'm 5'7. eat 1600 calories a day, and lose weight. you definitely need to eat more, my BMR is more than you are currently eating
  • JackieLivingHealthy
    Options
    I forgot to add I do take 10 mg of Lexapro a day, plus .5 mg of Klonopin as needed. Could THIS be preventing more weight loss?
  • blisser99
    blisser99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My husband did herbalife shakes twice a day with a big dinner full of protein. He lost 84 pounds but it took him a little over a year. It doesn't make it come off faster. One pound a week is the ideal goal. It didn't go on in a week so it isn't going to come off in a week. I'm not using the shakes... Just watching calorie intake and exercise and am losing the same at the same pace. The shakes are a preference... Not a necessity to your weight loss. I wish you luck on your journey.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    For your height and weight you should be eating no less than 1500 calories a day. You don't need Herbal life, just eat real food, drink water and move more and the weight will come off. You are young and your metabolism is probably pretty high.

I'm 5'11, 150.8 (today), eating 1600+/daily and lost 2.2lbs last week.
  • persistantone
    persistantone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add I do take 10 mg of Lexapro a day, plus .5 mg of Klonopin as needed. Could THIS be preventing more weight loss?

I'm no expert, but they may hamper weight loss, that is, make it a little more difficult since they affect your hormones. But, the great thing is that if you eat well (nutritiously) , eat enough, and exercise, you will lose weight because you will be providing your body with the main requirements for a happy and healthy metabolism.
  • JackieLivingHealthy
    Options
    Thank you. Going to talk to my dr. about the lexapro next week. It has helped me tremendously after having my daughter to help with post partum depression. Maybe I can start weening off.
  • loriepaulin
    loriepaulin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    That's what they give you as a "net" calorie. For me I am 38 years old work out at least 4x a week and I eat @1600 on my work out days and net 1200. My endocrinologist me to net @1200 for my thyroid issue. She said eat @1600, burn 400 and then net @1200. But I agree, 1200 is low even if you aren't working out daily. So I would say try to up your calories and it should start coming off. I agree with Amy above too, she was great at helping me start/figure out where to stay at calorie wise.
  • jhul322
    jhul322 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I did Herbalife for a year, and even sold the stuff. It works okay.... best benefit is that the shakes taste ammazing. Other than that all the pills to take are really a waste of time. Same with the tea, I was able to save money getting the stuff I needed from a store or a site instead of buying it all from them. I have many bottles I don't use they just go to waste. I was decently successful, I did a round of p90x with herbalife and lost 20 pounds in 90 days. So the pound a week depending on the type of workouts is just fine. With a few of the sup's make sure you are consuming a lot of water, like 10+ glasses a day.