Wasn't it just a matter of staying under the calorie limit?

Options

Replies

• sueschunied
    sueschunied Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I have lost 80 pounds since the beginning of the year using this app but have been making small changes in our diet and habits for years. Started by eating all meals at the table. Then leaving the salt shaker in the cupboard instead of on the table. Then substituting wheat/multigrain bread for white....then pasta to whole wheat....then adding fish to our diet. We made one change-did it for a month than added the next. The key for us with losing weight this time around is weighing and measuring everything. Amazing what an actual serving size is. Good luck to you and stick with it. :)
  • gregwhitley
    gregwhitley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I LOL'd at the "supplements" comment. I use injectable testosterone multiple times a week. Same stuff pro bodybuilders use, albeit not in those quantities. I also don't look anything like that fellow (I wish I did though!), who has a killer physique. The ignorance people display when they think steroids (of any type and/or quantity) make you into some ripped beast all by themselves is laughable. Ask anyone who has an amazing physique and uses steroids, they will tell you that it is probably 5% of what got them to look that way. Those folks look the way they do because of DIET and HARD WORK in the gym (genetics has a role as well).

It is easy for those of us who don't want to work as hard as someone else to criticize them for what they have achieved. IMO, this is no different than criticizing a professional athlete or CEO who makes millions when we don't. Typically, it is because we simply didn't work as hard as they have.

Sorry if I am off topic. As to the OP - if you are a grown man, and especially a large man, don't even sweat a couple of pounds. I know I can easily fluctuate 5 pounds in a day from eating pizza (up) or having a night out drinking (down) simply due to water balance.
  • lizag2012
    lizag2012 Posts: 13
    Options
    Really quick - didn't think that he took supplements because he was ripped, it was because he said he felt like punching the computer. Real men don't need to punch computers to show how tough they are and some supplements have been linked to a rise in anger/violent tendencies. Was meant to be more of a snarky comment because I find it amusing that people become so emotionally invested in a post on a website.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Water
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    This thread is hilarious there us just so much Hokum being peddled by some posters. Wait a weak and see what in all likelihood it's a normal fluctuation
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

You are confusing weight loss and fat loss. And way to ignore the fact protein is highly insulinogenic, which happens to make your previous carb fear mongering posts look silly since you also suggested upping protein

I can't find anything that says protein is insulinogenic, in fact as I have been looking it up, all of the reports, articles, science research and everything I have found so far says the opposite. The only thing that came close was a study of dairy protein which found an elevated insulin response from dairy products, but they tested other animal proteins as well and there was no insulin response. I'd be happy to address this more thoroughly if you could point me to the genesis of your statement.

Holt et al. An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 66, 1264-1276

http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf+html

The insulinogenic effect of whey protein is partially mediated by a direct effect of amino acids and GIP on β-cells

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/9/1/48

I haven't had time to read everything thoroughly, but from what I can see, of course food has an insulin response, every food in the world will. What I see on the charts and from briefly reading the articles is that proteins had an insulin response similar to a few whole grains, but less of a response than the fruit, some of the whole grains, and all of the refined carbs.

Of course food has an insulin response? How quickly you changed your tune
    I can't find anything that says protein is insulinogenic, in fact as I have been looking it up, all of the reports, articles, science research and everything I have found so far says the opposite
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    If I'm reading this correctly, you are talking about .6 oz. Take a leak...BAM! fixed.

I can fluctuate up to 1 lb in 10 minutes doing nothing but brushing my teeth. Don't bother so much with the scale, it's great to track overall trending, but for .6 oz...not so much.

Eat at a deficit, exercise..and be patient. Let me say that again...Be Patient. 3 wks isn't much, if you're gaining in 3 months...then do some tweaking.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Uh, half a pound? That's actually well within the margin of error of most commercial scales. Not a concern. Weight can fluctuate up to 10 pounds in any 24 hour period.

Heck, one cup of water would explain your "weight gain" (a cup of water weighs half a pound.)
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm with cmcollins... I can lose 1lb taking a bowel movement... and I gain about 3 to 5 lbs every month in water weight, which i lose right back (hormones) be patient and don't sweat the small fluctuations...
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Real men don't need to punch computers to show how tough they are and some supplements have been linked to a rise in anger/violent tendencies.
    Keep posting and digging that hole deeper and deeper. Your wealth of myths and misinformation is quite entertaining. What supplements are linked to anger/aggressive tendencies? Creatine, whey protein, NOS etc. Lets hear the propaganda.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    Carbs. Your diet has way too many carbs, and you work out too hard. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but crazy workouts make you super hungry, eating carbs makes your insulin fire up and store fat, which in turn makes you more hungry. You don't eat nearly enough protein. You could completely stop counting calories and eat tons of protein and stop eating rice and pasta salad and tortillas and cereal and you would lose weight. Rice, pasta, etc are not part of a nutritious eating plan. Eat a huge steak for dinner with a huge side of veggies - 2 cups of greens at least. Eggs and bacon for breakfast instead of cereal.

Not trying to hijack the thread here... but I would disagree with this. Alot of people lose weight on "low carb" diets but have trouble with platueing/maintaining that lifestyle. Thats not to say that one should consume tons of sugars/ refined carbs... but carbs are a very important part of every diet. That's why even atkins has to slowly introduce carbs back after weight loss.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/carbohydrates-do-more-than-make-energy-for-your-bo.html

I found this to be prettty good info. You need carbs not just to fuel your workouts... but to fuel your everday activity. While you may lose weight on a low carb diet, you also lose muscle. By eating carbs it protects your body from eating up muscle for energy. Protein helps to recover the muscles AFTER use- which is why we also need protein.
  • ColleenDeBeasi
    ColleenDeBeasi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A couple of things stood out to me:
    - In one of your posts, you mentioned a 90 minute run, but then mentioned doing 90 minutes on the elliptical. Those calories won't be the same- running is tougher.
    - You have osso bucco tracked a few times- but only 240 calories. Osso Bucco is extremely rich, and that seems low to me
    - Sodium is high, especially since Saturday. If I weigh on Mondays, I'm usually up; if I wait till Tuesday, I'm usually down. Saturday is also a higher sodium day for me usually, so I suspect that you'll see some of the same things

Carbs/Fat/Protein are important, but it's also important to make sure that the changes you make are sustainable. If you truly eat less than you burn, you'll lose weight, however, if you want to preserve muscle and metabolic rate, you need to pay attention to macros as much as possible.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    To the OP... I'd say the same thing about water and sodium.
  • tigersword
    Options
    It's about staying under your calorie limit and eating whole foods. That is so important-- if you look at the ingredients in something you're about to eat and you don't know what it is-- neither does your body. Whole grains, fruits, veggies, fish, poultry (red mean on occasion), healthy fats (avocados, olive oil, nuts [almonds])...you're staying under your calorie goal, for the most part, but the food you're eating is crap. This does make a difference. Look up ingredients you're unfamiliar with and see where they come from.

Try eating natural quality foods :smile:
    Um, what? Eating whole foods is a good idea, but to make a silly comment like "if you don't know what an ingredient is, neither does your body" is just wrong on every level. Ingredients have chemical names. Your body doesn't need a degree in chemistry, or even know how to read, to handle ingredients. In fact, I promise you that 99.9% of the "ingredients you don't know" are in all of the whole foods you eat, it's just the fact that whole foods don't need ingredient labels. Things like monosodium glutamate, galactose, aspartic acid, phenylalanine, and other ingredients are all part of most every fruit, vegetable, nut, and meat source. Like the avocados you mentioned, which are high in aspartic acid (active ingredient in aspartame,) phenylalanine (the other ingredient in aspartame,) and glutamic acid (the active ingredient in MSG.)
  • davypr86
    davypr86 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    A couple of things stood out to me:
    - In one of your posts, you mentioned a 90 minute run, but then mentioned doing 90 minutes on the elliptical. Those calories won't be the same- running is tougher.
    - You have osso bucco tracked a few times- but only 240 calories. Osso Bucco is extremely rich, and that seems low to me
    - Sodium is high, especially since Saturday. If I weigh on Mondays, I'm usually up; if I wait till Tuesday, I'm usually down. Saturday is also a higher sodium day for me usually, so I suspect that you'll see some of the same things

Carbs/Fat/Protein are important, but it's also important to make sure that the changes you make are sustainable. If you truly eat less than you burn, you'll lose weight, however, if you want to preserve muscle and metabolic rate, you need to pay attention to macros as much as possible.

There are many options for Osso Buco. I took one that seemed average. It happens with a lot of my foods. Sometime MFP may say that a particular food is 200 calories or 800. Its hard to guess.

I'll weight myself tommorrow. Maybe it is what you say.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If it feels a bit strange, just weigh yourself again the next day in the morning straight after you have gone to the toilet...
    Your body can fluctuate in weight quite lot in the day
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options

that's the atkins diet... which is a fad.... long played out

protein is worked out as 1g per lb of lean body mass

the way to save time on this is 0.7 or 0.8g x total body mass (this is allowing for roughly 20 - 30% body fat)

your carbs and fat are worked out as a remainder of what's left in percentages usually about 40% carbs, 20% fat

anything that's in the confines of this is acceptable

based on this then , he should have a total of about 6 oz protein?
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Bump to read replies
  • tigersword
    Options

that's the atkins diet... which is a fad.... long played out

protein is worked out as 1g per lb of lean body mass

the way to save time on this is 0.7 or 0.8g x total body mass (this is allowing for roughly 20 - 30% body fat)

your carbs and fat are worked out as a remainder of what's left in percentages usually about 40% carbs, 20% fat

anything that's in the confines of this is acceptable

based on this then , he should have a total of about 6 oz protein?
    Not sure if you're trying to be facetious, or serious, but short answer, yes.

6 oz protein = 168 grams of protein, which is more than enough for any person, with a possible exception for certain professional athletes that may need more.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I have lost 80 pounds since the beginning of the year using this app but have been making small changes in our diet and habits for years. Started by eating all meals at the table. Then leaving the salt shaker in the cupboard instead of on the table. Then substituting wheat/multigrain bread for white....then pasta to whole wheat....then adding fish to our diet. We made one change-did it for a month than added the next. The key for us with losing weight this time around is weighing and measuring everything. Amazing what an actual serving size is. Good luck to you and stick with it. :)

For the first post of your MFP career, this is some solid advice ms.!!! Great!