Advice on small dogs.

Options
2»

Replies

• yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    your dog needs a vet not a groomer

I know that. The groomer cleans his anal glands. I'd rather pay twenty dollars to try and solve the problem, then pay a vet two hundred dollars to do the same thing. Did you not notice that I said if the problem persists, I will take him to the vet? :flowerforyou:

If you know that, why would you go to the groomer first? It does NOT cost $200 to express anal glands. If you had, say, a lump on your head causing you pain, would you go to the hairdresser to have it checked first?
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options

I know that. The groomer cleans his anal glands. I'd rather pay twenty dollars to try and solve the problem, then pay a vet two hundred dollars to do the same thing. Did you not notice that I said if the problem persists, I will take him to the vet? :flowerforyou:

If you know that, why would you go to the groomer first? It does NOT cost $200 to express anal glands. If you had, say, a lump on your head causing you pain, would you go to the hairdresser to have it checked first?

I'm not sure if you're illiterate or what, but I just said that my groomer offers anal gland cleaning as a service. I took my dog today, and had his glands cleaned and he's fine now. They were just filled and needed to be expressed.

Tl;dr - Today I paid twenty dollars to have his glands cleaned by the groomer instead of paying the vet to do the same exact action for two hundred dollars. Yes, my vet is two hundred dollars per visit.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It's a common problem in small breeds. Google "impacted anal glands".

Just another reason to feed them to my cats. :wink:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    No, this is not a troll thread. I'm being completely serious.

My four year old daschund/chihuhua mix randomly started scooting his butt on the ground a lot today and his anal glands were secreting some sort of fluid. He also seems to be in pain, and I'm getting worried.

Yes, I am going to take him to the vet hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday, but has anyone ever had a dog that this happened to?

I would like to thank you for starting this thread...My dog does this every once in a while and I have always clapped and said "no" to her so she would stop. Didn't realize this is a problem that a vet can take care of, so thank you.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    happened to my cat, but its also common in dogs, he needs his anal glands drained, sometimes if they get constipated or get the runs they dont drain properly. you can do it yourself or take them to the vet
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    No, this is not a troll thread. I'm being completely serious.

My four year old daschund/chihuhua mix randomly started scooting his butt on the ground a lot today and his anal glands were secreting some sort of fluid. He also seems to be in pain, and I'm getting worried.

Yes, I am going to take him to the vet hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday, but has anyone ever had a dog that this happened to?

I would like to thank you for starting this thread...My dog does this every once in a while and I have always clapped and said "no" to her so she would stop. Didn't realize this is a problem that a vet can take care of, so thank you.

You're welcome. :heart:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I've bred and showed dogs for forty years, so I tell you, his anal glands are impacted, and you'll have to drain them yourself ( squeeze with two fingers either side of dog's *kitten*) or have the vet show you how.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    my cat randomly excretes her own anal glands just walking around. every time she does, it lands on my husband. every single time. usually near his mouth. its hilarious.

Ewww... that's just a lovely thought... though I have never had a dog or cat whose anal glands were impacted... at least not that I noticed...
  • gg129
    gg129 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's a common problem in small breeds. Google "impacted anal glands".

This^

Take him to the vet they can poke it to relive the pressure. They might need you to put a cream on the area to help with the swelling and have you go for regular check ups after that. My vet is great and doesn't charge for that kind of check up since it takes 5 minutes tops for the visit.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if you're illiterate or what, but I just said that my groomer offers anal gland cleaning as a service. I took my dog today, and had his glands cleaned and he's fine now. They were just filled and needed to be expressed.

Tl;dr - Today I paid twenty dollars to have his glands cleaned by the groomer instead of paying the vet to do the same exact action for two hundred dollars. Yes, my vet is two hundred dollars per visit.

Wow! Way to respond to people answering a question you asked. By the way, tl;dr means too long; didn't read, so in future you can use that properly, for, you know, things that were long, and that you didn't read. If your vet charges $200 for anal gland expression, I would suggest looking for a new one, because you're getting ripped off.
  • Ivoryelaine
    Ivoryelaine Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Your dog has impacted anal glands. A vet can fix it and so can a good grooming shop. Take him to one or the other. ( some big dogs can get this too)

To keep him from getting it again our vet suggested that we get the dogs more fiber, especially pumpkin. Of course our little guy with the most issues does not LIKE pumpkin by itself....so I took a pumpkin oat cookie recipe and substituted meat drippings for butter, removed all of the sugar and added nutritional yeast, oat bran and kelp and made dog cookies. All the dogs love them. Better yet, no more impacted anal glands either....yay!
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options

You need to find a new vet...

I wouldn't trust a groomer to do anything medical on my dogs period.....