Sedentary versus lightly active

Options
I just got a fitbit one this past weekend and have gotten the impression from everything that I have read that I should have the setting at sedentary, so I am assuming that I should put my MFP setting at sedentary as well. Does it matter that I am actually not sedentary?

Thank you :0)!
Christine

Replies

• LoraleiDean
    LoraleiDean Posts: 100
    Options
    I have my settings at "sedentary."
    I don't work outside of the home, aren't chasing little kids, and am not currently doing any set exercising.
    I do, however, get to walk around the house as opposed to laying in a bed all day.
    Any caloric benefit from this is just considered a bonus in my eyes.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It really is up to you. I'm actually pretty sedentary according to my current pedometer (it says I'm sedentary in fact), but I also recently discovered that it doesn't count steps correctly. I put it on walked out of my bedroom, down the hall to the kitchen, and looked at it...it said I had taken 3 steps. I'm short so I know that is inaccurate. Hopefully I will be able to afford a fitbit soon.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    I believe if you put is as 'light active' when you are actually 'sedentary' it will probably give you more calories to eat thinking you burn more than you are. Mine is set to 'sedentary', I sit all day at work at my desk, and the only times I get up is to go to the toilet, kitchen, and then lunch (which I get about 500 each way, I work in a factory and the break room is far). I pretty much just sit at my computer when I get home, however I will exercise to make up for it.
  • Sarah_LM
    Sarah_LM Posts: 96
    Options
    Depending on who you quote, sedentary actually means taking less than 3,000 or 5000 steps a day. So if you do more than that each day day you are not sedentary but if you do less then you actually are sedentary even if you wouldn't define yourself that way.
  • mickeyullrich
    mickeyullrich Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I guess I will just keep it at sedentary and eat some of my exercise calories. I stay at home but I have four children so I am seldom sitting down! :smile: