How long does it take

Options
Let's try this again without an example of pizza so people aren't confused by an example:

I just want to know how long it takes for the body to register calories once consumed.

Replies

• GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    As soon as it enters your mouth/chewing=break down of food=beginning of the digestive process.
  • redneckwoman727
    Options
    Good question!!! I really don't know myself but if you take any medicine it usually takes 30 mins to take affect so wouldn't food be the same?? Years ago I remember it being said that if you eat a big breakfast and stay active all day then all or most of the calories are burnt off by evening. ??????
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Your body begins to break down some foods almost immediately, like carbs/simple sugars (think soda, candy, white flour, stuff like that). Fruit also breaks down quickly. Other stuff gets processed in the small intestine. It takes 2-3 hours for that.
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    From what I remember from my biology class, simple carbohydrates and simples sugars can take as little as 10 minutes to breakdown and digest, where as fats and proteins can take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. It also depends on your body.
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!