Boston Marathon

Options

Replies

• Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    To bring some sanity back to this thread:

Boston. ****ing horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

- Patton Oswalt

Thank you for sharing these powerful words. Well said. I live in Boston and this hits home for me for sure.

Well said.
  • battyb58
    battyb58 Posts: 1
    Options
    Thank-you for the perspective, but for the grace if God we could be suffering instead of blogging. We must bring love to bear or those who have lost the plot will draw us down to the depths of Hades with them.
    Sending my heart to all that are suffering tonight. I'm lucky and so are you all not to be one if them
    Life and death are random, let it be a lesson to be gracious and appreciative of what we have.
    Hold your loved ones closer and tell them you love them.
    Bernie
  • Miss_Krissy87
    Miss_Krissy87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This is so sad. People are losing there minds in this world. Going to pray for the families that are affected by this awful tragedy.:(
  • Persephone7676
    Persephone7676 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thoughts and prayers to all
  • WilhelmCF
    WilhelmCF Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My heartfelt thoughts and prayers to the people of Boston any any who were affected by this tragic event. We have to be on duty 24/7 when it comes to the security of the homeland. But we will always pause and mourn for those lost and provide comfort for those left behind. As a people, that is who and what we are.
  • laurenlhubert
    laurenlhubert Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

- Patton Oswalt

Perfect
  • b3kah5
    b3kah5 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

- Patton Oswalt

Thank you thank you thank you for this!
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options

- Patton Oswalt

Exceptionally well said.
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    i have a friend who was injured today in the Boston bombings. thank heavens, she should be all right. that said, i'm going to continue to train for the next year's marathon. while i understand that this type of violence is supposed to instill terror in me, i'm not impressed. no terrorist *kitten* (or news organization) is going to stop me from living my life. that is all...
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    i have a friend who was injured today in the Boston bombings. thank heavens, she should be all right. that said, i'm going to continue to train for the next year's marathon. while i understand that this type of violence is supposed to instill terror in me, i'm not impressed. no terrorist *kitten* (or news organization) is going to stop me from living my life. that is all...

:drinker: kick *kitten*.
  • dmw45
    dmw45 Posts: 73
    Options
    Ive been busy all day and only just heard about this. I was looking for information. How strange to see this thread has turned into a debate as to whether or not anyone should be discussing it. Of course its appropriate to discuss it. Here or anywhere.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Hope your friend recovers quickly, cant help but think of those who werent so lucky. I think I will just run solo though I dont want to chance it.
  • Sonjalalala
    Sonjalalala Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with expressing humanity in the face of tragedy.

*Sincere Applause*

Edit: Added "sincere" in there so my comment didn't sound sarcastic.
  • mathteacher2010
    mathteacher2010 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My husband & I were at the Boston Marathon today; we were about a block from the site of the explosions! We are fine; we ran from the site, then made our way out of the city. It was very sad & surreal; we are haunted by the images of the scared and crying children that we saw in the aftermath. Yet another happy event is now tarnished by tragedy. We had been much closer to the site of second explosion, but started walking up the street literally 2 minutes before the explosion. We are feeling extremely lucky that we walked away from the area rather than closer.
  • kniknaack
    kniknaack Posts: 32
    Options
    This has ZERO to do with fitness and EVERYTHING to do with an act of cowardice and hate! I pray that ALL responsible are caught and punished immediately before it becomes just another terrible memory! I'm sure at a time like this people stumble for the right words to express, but, have good intentions just the same. Let's all just keep everyone involved in our thoughts, or prayers (as I am a prayer).
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options

:drinker: kick *kitten*.

Thanks. A New Yorker would get this.:wink: Namaste.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Wow....what a shock...a terrible tragedy. Why would anyone do this? My thoughts and prayers are with all who were affected, as well as their families.

My heart goes out to all those affected and their families and friends .
  • kniknaack
    kniknaack Posts: 32
    Options
    To mathteacher20, thank the Lord you are alright and thank you for sharing! So sorry you had to witness such devastation.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

I love this
  • xxxTiaxxx
    xxxTiaxxx Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Nowhere's safe any more. Absolutely nowhere. I don't pray but my thoughts are with everyone there.