Options
124»

Replies

• ktaylor1188
    ktaylor1188 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    To bring some sanity back to this thread:

Boston. ****ing horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

- Patton Oswalt

Exactly.
  • AddyMaeMomma
    AddyMaeMomma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Who cares what board it's on?? It's a terrible thing to be nit-picking about!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    My husband & I were at the Boston Marathon today; we were about a block from the site of the explosions! We are fine; we ran from the site, then made our way out of the city. It was very sad & surreal; we are haunted by the images of the scared and crying children that we saw in the aftermath. Yet another happy event is now tarnished by tragedy. We had been much closer to the site of second explosion, but started walking up the street literally 2 minutes before the explosion. We are feeling extremely lucky that we walked away from the area rather than closer.

Thank God you are both okay. Tragic day for the USA. Prayers for all the people injured and such sadness for those who did not make it at all. No words for this horror.
  • lfergurson1
    lfergurson1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Im sad . Its so sad and I pray that there will be miracles in the face of this tragedy. God Bless the USA ...
  • mindygeske
    mindygeske Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My heart breaks for everyone involved. Just so sad and scary.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    i have a friend who was injured today in the Boston bombings. thank heavens, she should be all right. that said, i'm going to continue to train for the next year's marathon. while i understand that this type of violence is supposed to instill terror in me, i'm not impressed. no terrorist *kitten* (or news organization) is going to stop me from living my life. that is all...

This,

My kid asked me if this was going to stop people from running. I told him you can't stop a runner ... especially a marathon runner.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Good Day MFP Friends,

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Please let's keep the comments on this thread within the Forum Guidelines. No political remarks, no attacks or insults.

If you disagree with the sentiment, MOVE ON.

We are a fitness community that has been hit by this tragedy.

Please be respectful to those that feel the need to express their condolences.

Thank You,

Arewethereyet
    MFP Moderator
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i have a friend who was injured today in the Boston bombings. thank heavens, she should be all right. that said, i'm going to continue to train for the next year's marathon. while i understand that this type of violence is supposed to instill terror in me, i'm not impressed. no terrorist *kitten* (or news organization) is going to stop me from living my life. that is all...

Hope your friends gets better soon! Awesome attitude you have
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was amazed that the runners kept on finishing long afterwards!!
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I live maybe an hour out of Boston, and its craziness here. It's been on every news station all day, people don't even wanna leave their house right now. I cant believe some sick b*stard would do that. Especially since one of the people killed was only 8 years old.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

I guess finishing their marathon was so important to them, that a little bomb and a few deaths did not matter.
    I would in no way have been able to carry on running in the fact of such an incident. I mean, you can see people continuing to run past the bomb site. I just find it somewhat disgusting that some continued on, as if nothing had happened.
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thoughts and prayers to all victims of this tragedy today in Boston....
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

I guess finishing their marathon was so important to them, that a little bomb and a few deaths did not matter.
    I would in no way have been able to carry on running in the fact of such an incident. I mean, you can see people continuing to run past the bomb site. I just find it somewhat disgusting that some continued on, as if nothing had happened.

That is very harsh. Demonstrates a lack of understanding of both the shock of living through trauma (you often don't take in what's happening for a while, there is a processing delay), and what it's like to run a long way and how that might have impacted.

Until you've survived an incident of extreme violence, frankly you haven't got a clue how you would react.

First few minutes to hours (even days) after a violent incident most people are still in shock.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    That age old question, "What the @#$%^& is wrong with some people!?!?" will never be answered. Whomever goes around killing, assulting and or hurting people on the sly WILL get payback at some point, and that is my only consolation in these types of situations.
  • authenticspirit
    Options
    The running community is both shocked & horrified by the events that have transpired. Our thoughts & prayers go out to the victims and their families.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Some great stories out of the sadness:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9996675/Boston-Marathon-explosion-runner-Bill-Iffrig-knocked-down-by-blast-finishes-the-race.html

I hear that lots of runner / running clubs will be donning black arm bands in this weekend's London Marathon as a mark of respect for their running comrades in Boston ;)
  • LiveBetterDaily2013
    Options
    My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to all that have been affected by this. So tragic.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Runners should wear Blue & Yellow to pay their respects to the Boston people. Blue & Yellow are the colors of the marathon. Also wearing a race shirt would be a great idea. I'm doing that for the rest of the month on my daily runs.
  • JenniferMary_9169
    Options
    To bring some sanity back to this thread:

Boston. ****ing horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

- Patton Oswalt

:heart: THIS!!! We were going to go into Boston yesterday to watch the end of the race, but we were running behind schedule so we watched the race from the Holliston/Ashland line. To see all of the peeps running/walking/jogging with such passion, such a joy of life. There were peeps from all walks of life, all ethnicities (sp?), all ages. Peeps were wearing costumes (I even saw I guy juggling as he ran), and varying tee-shirts supporting their individual causes. It was awesome. The clapping, the cheering, showing love to complete random strangers. It was moving (no pun intended).

To witness that this awesomely fabuish event had to be touched by pure evil is heart-breaking. The f*cktards will never win. They cannot crush our spirit.

But then we saw the love of another kind. The same random strangers who were cheering and clapping for those they did not know rushed in to help their fellow man. Peeps had no idea if more bombs would go off, they thought nothing of their personal safety. They rushed in to do what needed to be done until First Responders were able to get there.

We live in an awesome country. God Bless Boston and God Bless the USA.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Runners should wear Blue & Yellow to pay their respects to the Boston people. Blue & Yellow are the colors of the marathon. Also wearing a race shirt would be a great idea. I'm doing that for the rest of the month on my daily runs.

They are going to wear black bands at the London marathon to pay respects waiting to see where I can get one online.