Not losing much weight with high-intensity type workouts?

Options
2»

Replies

• gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of you, particularly when someone has 30 lbs or less to lose...inches/body composition matters much, much more. But when someone has 100 lbs to lose, isn't it more healthy to lose weight at a quicker pace (e.g., 2 lbs a week) for the first chunk, then focus on muscle retention when you're a bit closer to a healthy BMI (maybe in the "overweight" category)? Ultimately, when someone is 100 lbs+ overweight, the person has to lose some of the muscle mass (especially a woman), because she has more muscle mass than she will need at her goal weight due to carrying that volume of weight around.

I question if the "fat loss" only focus at that high of a weight makes more sense when you have less to lose. That is, create your calorie deficit, do moderate exericse and strength training in the beginning, then when a bit lighter, focus on high-intensity exercise in order to maintain/build muscle mass.

My question was less about the impact of high-intensity workouts on all people...and more on the impact to obese individuals.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Could be a ton of variables for this but I think you nailed it in your OP. Weight loss is NOT going to be as fast when you are preserving lean body mass. THAT IS A GOOD THING. Getting rid of body fat should be the goal not some number on a scale.

Second I think a LOT of people severely over-estimate the calories they are burning on some of these programs.

This. While it's great to see those pounds drop on the scale, it's really only one factor, and not necessarily the BEST focus. I would suggest that if you're going to commit to one of those programs that you do it like you mean it for a month, and stay away from the scale. Get your bodyfat% checked before you start and then again at the one month marker, as it's a MUCH better way of analyzing results. The goal of hiit (high intensity interval training) is to burn fat while preserving lean mass, pair this with weight training and a proper diet and you should see that bf% drop significantly while the scale may not move as much as someone who only commits to pure cardio. Also, it's important to get as accurate an estimate of calories burned by using a hr monitor with a chest strap or a bodybugg or fitbit (I'm not sure how the chest strap does on folks with more to lose).

And to answer the burning question of why stay off the scale for a month - when you add a new exercise you will find that you may increase weight over the first week or two of starting the new program. This is water retention and has nothing to do with true weight. When you bang your leg on something your body's natural instinct to that trauma is to rush fluid to the area as a part of the healing process. When you add a new exercise you cause trauma throughout your entire body, so that happens all over adding to your wieght on the scale. It takes a few weeks to sort out sometimes.
  • squirmmonster
    squirmmonster Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Actually, quite the opposite for me. I started off my weight loss at 276. I'm now 242-3, depending on how you read my scale needle. My calories for most of that time, said I should be losing about a pound a week, but I've been able to lose 2-5 lbs a week, depending on the week, by doing high intensity workouts. Usually an hour a day, sometimes half an hour or an hour and a half. It depends on what combination of workouts I'm doing. I get tired of repeating certain workouts, especially if I find the trainer annoying. XD

HOWEVER... All of my high intensity workouts were cardio alone, and I did some sporadic strength training here and there. Last week, I did start Shed and Shred. The first two days were murder, cardiovascular wise. I was actually a little light headed. However, that only took a little while to remedy itself, and my heart is going hard, but not overly hard, considering, when I do it now. So after the third day, my muscles were aching REALLY bad all over. I weighed myself on day four, and had GAINED five pounds. But after the weekend, when I don't work out, I've lost all of those five, and two or three more. (I started this week at 245ish.) I was retaining a full eight pounds of water, which, with a body my size, and with the amount of muscular soreness I had, is completely feasible, I think.

Additionally, every week I have failed to exercise less than three days a week, has been a complete plateau. Granted, I do use a mechanical scale, but face it: a difference of less than a pound could easily reflect whether or not you just had a cup of tea. I lost 2-3 this week, and my calories have NOT been immaculate. I overdid it yesterday, and one day earlier in the week.

So no. Everything these people are saying, isn't true for everyone. For me, working out hard is the way to get the weight off at a reasonable pace. I think the issue is that there is a lot of water retention happening in those who are also doing strength training... so they don't seem to be losing weight. But they are losing fat, more than likely. I'm eating at a deficit, but get plenty of protein. My arms and legs are definitely WAY more toned than when I began. I have gained muscle mass and lost fat. It is quite possible. I wouldn't say it's possible to look for HUGE muscle gains on a diet, but assuming everyone has to lose muscle mass? Please. The body isn't THAT inefficient.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of you, particularly when someone has 30 lbs or less to lose...inches/body composition matters much, much more. But when someone has 100 lbs to lose, isn't it more healthy to lose weight at a quicker pace (e.g., 2 lbs a week) for the first chunk, then focus on muscle retention when you're a bit closer to a healthy BMI (maybe in the "overweight" category)? Ultimately, when someone is 100 lbs+ overweight, the person has to lose some of the muscle mass (especially a woman), because she has more muscle mass than she will need at her goal weight due to carrying that volume of weight around.

I question if the "fat loss" only focus at that high of a weight makes more sense when you have less to lose. That is, create your calorie deficit, do moderate exericse and strength training in the beginning, then when a bit lighter, focus on high-intensity exercise in order to maintain/build muscle mass.

My question was less about the impact of high-intensity workouts on all people...and more on the impact to obese individuals.

No, if your focus is to get healthy than you want to lose as much fat as possible while trying to preserve as much lean mass as possible. It's not the weight that's sitting around the organs causing potential health risks, it's the fat. The focus shouldn't be on the scale . . . the scale isn't what's unhealthy . . . it's the fat.
  • cindybickler
    cindybickler Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    when i started my journey i was obese. i have to ask my doctor what my heaviest weight was, it is something i didn't want to accept at the time and i frankly don't remember. but my best guess is at least 220. i started with turbo jam. i don't consider that high intensity anymore but i sure did back then! i think the best advice for anyone is find something you like to do! if you don't like it you are more likely to give up! once you start and see results i think most of us start to say wow! if i can do this, maybe i should try something a little harder! : ) And no matter how much weight you have left to loose, FAT is the only thing i want to loose!!!!:bigsmile:
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    For me, I started with running only and no strength training. You are right, I did lose the most WEIGHT when I was doing that, but I did not notice a significant difference in my appearance. It wasn't until I started doing weight training and other things rather than cardio that I noticed a change in appearance. I only lost 10-15 pounds with that, but I went from a size 8 to a size 4. It isn't all about the weight. Losing weight at a slower rate seems to be working well for me. I haven't been able to lose the last bit of weight that I want to, but I also haven't gained any in over a year. Good luck and don't get discouraged with the number on the scale (it does not define you). :)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    *sigh* Why are people so focused on the NUMBER? If you're losing inches, isn't that what matters? Ps. Obviously that pic is not me lol.
    22095854391386277_kDCVLjOu_f.jpg

Some people (including myself) have a reason to get to a certain number. Mine has to do with a hobby/sport that I do. I understand your point, but everyone's goals are different. I'm very focused on the number.
  • cindybickler
    cindybickler Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    For me, I started with running only and no strength training. You are right, I did lose the most WEIGHT when I was doing that, but I did not notice a significant difference in my appearance. It wasn't until I started doing weight training and other things rather than cardio that I noticed a change in appearance. I only lost 10-15 pounds with that, but I went from a size 8 to a size 4. It isn't all about the weight. Losing weight at a slower rate seems to be working well for me. I haven't been able to lose the last bit of weight that I want to, but I also haven't gained any in over a year. Good luck and don't get discouraged with the number on the scale (it does not define you). :)

i have been focusing on strength training for just over 3 months now and i lost an additional 8 lbs but went from a size 12 to a 10. i enjoy weight training and plan on running my first half marathon in the spring. I am excited to see what changes will happen to my body next! you are so right the number on the scale does not define you. : )
  • cars1244
    cars1244 Posts: 3
    Options
    I know this is way late, but I just came across this and found it very interesting. About 3 years ago I was within 10-15 pounds of my ideal weight and decided to do the P90X program. I finished the full 90 days and did not lose much weight but had never been happier with my body. 2 years later the weight came back plus a lot more so I tried the program again. I felt stronger, but was not seeing the results I wanted. So I tried Insanity, and again I felt like i was getting in better shape but I only lost about 5 pounds in 2 months.

I know some people say that the scale does not matter, but actually it does. I know I probably gained some muscle, but that number definitely needed to be coming down, and I was not about to let myself buy into the "well muscle weighs more than fat, so its okay that I'm 35 pounds overweight" excuse.

A couple months ago I decided to just run and use MFP to count calories and nothing else. I run an average of 5x a week and started the C25K plan. I have lost 15 pounds. I recently went to my doctor to tell her about it, and she said that high intensity workouts are not ideal until I am closer to my goal weight (exactly what you predicted). The reason is because they burn mainly glycogen, whereas lower intensity workouts (such as jogging) burn fat.

Thought that might be helpful if you're still interested!