Eating times. How much does it matter?

Options
2»

Replies

• Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    In the last few months, I have used myself as an experiment. I've done just about every timing thing you can do. I've eaten all my calories around 8pm-9pm. I've eaten many meals throughout the day, and now I'm intermittent fasting. I've got 30 minutes before my first 24 hr fast of the week begins. (I'm fasting for 24 hrs 2x a week right now....ESE method)

I have lost consistently every week, regardless of my method....or what foods are eaten when. The ONLY thing that slows down my progress is not eating enough. I don't pay as much attention anymore to daily calories. What matters most is my overall weekly count.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've heard that eating the biggest food earlier and eating later a smaller meal makes a world of difference.

What is your experience with that?

My experience following such an energy conscious meal pattern is that I'm now three quarters of the way. Not from my starting point to my goal weight, but from my goal weight to my low record as an adult! Still, weight is but a byproduct of health. Eat real food, and everything falls into place. As cravings go away, snacking ceases. Your pancreas is thankful for the breaks that you take between meals with co-workers, family and friends, and at bedtime you feel light, yet not hungry. You burn calories throughout your full night's sleep. Water helps too in enhancing your digestion and metabolism. If there's a downside to any of this, I have yet to come across it.
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It make no difference so long as you are staying at your calorie goal - and your goal is the correct one (I said in a previous post by you that you seem to be eating too little).

For example: I have my goal set at 1850 a day. I typically eat at least half of that, and sometimes up to 1200, between 6pm and 11pm. Makes no difference for my weight loss.

I agree with the above.

However, it's on your willpower really. Some people just have the urge to eat at certain times or else they might binge later. I know I do

I agree with that!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Studies show that it doesn't make even a tiny bit of difference.

If you feel better eating later, do it. Earlier, do it. Wanna skip breakfast? Let's get crazy and skip breakfast.

Do what works for you, as long as you eat the right number of calories in a 24-hour period.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I've heard that eating the biggest food earlier and eating later a smaller meal makes a world of difference.

What is your experience with that?

It makes NO difference at all. Your body is working doing it's job 24/7.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    eating a big breakfast just sets me up mentally to wan't more food all day, but physically doesn't matter.
  • arielky
    arielky Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a very low metabolism, and without paying much attention to my body, I've been carrying on the average 100 pounds too much. I tend to get caught up in what I'm doing, and not eat meals for eight hours or more. Then hunger hits me like a savage beast and I eat to0 much. When you get that hungry, you're not too careful about what you eat. My son and his wife are coaching me to spread out my meals evenly throughout the day and eat snacks in between because they tell me that it will help ramp up my metabolism and make it easier to lose weight. Right now I'm looking for a job and recovering from some major health problems, largely induced by being so heavy for so long. It feels so strange to have so much focus on food. The doctor has warned me not to have ANY salt, so we are working on low sodium meals for me. It is quite a challenge, and my son is training me to approach it in a scientific way. I also need to watch my potassium and calcium intake as I am taking blood pressure medication that also has a diuretic, so I am learning about foods rich in potassium: not just bananas (which I knew about), but also baked potatoes, acorn and butternut squash, white beans, lentils, avocado, dates, melon, papaya, soy beans and chard. I am learning about sodium levels in food as well. My cholesterol is also high, so I'm watching the fats as well.

I am eating a lot more tofu now, salads every day, and roasting vegetables. There is no doubt about it, I must make major changes in what I eat and how it is prepared. This is what happens when you reach age 59, and have been neglecting your body. I really love this website because it makes it easy to count calories and also track the exercise you get. It is so wonderful that I am staying with my son and his wife, who jog five miles every day. I follow them to the park at my own pace, but it is a great support in getting out there to watch them do it all the time. They really encourage me to go walking every day, and there are beautiful parks nearby in Portland, Oregon where they live. It's a new city to me, so I'm enjoying the walks and exploring the neighborhoods around us, especially the Overlook neighborhood.

So my latest mantra is to baby my body, and give myself all the loving care that I gave my son when he was a baby.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    What matters most is doing the same pattern over and over again until it is engraved in your hormones.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    To me, a calorie looks about the same at 10 pm as it does at 10 am.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    What matters most is doing the same pattern over and over again until it is engraved in your hormones.

lolwut?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    if im portioning and measuring it doesnt seem to matter. My largest meal is always dinner.
  • paigelouise69
    Options
    x
  • paigelouise69
    Options
    Not one bit.

If you would rather not eat a thing all day then eat your entire allowance at 10pm, you will still lose weight at the end of the week provided you have stuck to your calorie goal. I am a night time eater, so I tend to save at least half of my calories for dinner. Eat in a way that works for you.

im a night time eater too.! I also used to worry it would make me gain weight but now that you mention it you don't as long as you stick to your calorie goal. thanks! :) x
  • rbeckner711
    rbeckner711 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have a very low metabolism, and without paying much attention to my body, I've been carrying on the average 100 pounds too much. I tend to get caught up in what I'm doing, and not eat meals for eight hours or more. Then hunger hits me like a savage beast and I eat to0 much. When you get that hungry, you're not too careful about what you eat. My son and his wife are coaching me to spread out my meals evenly throughout the day and eat snacks in between because they tell me that it will help ramp up my metabolism and make it easier to lose weight. Right now I'm looking for a job and recovering from some major health problems, largely induced by being so heavy for so long. It feels so strange to have so much focus on food. The doctor has warned me not to have ANY salt, so we are working on low sodium meals for me. It is quite a challenge, and my son is training me to approach it in a scientific way. I also need to watch my potassium and calcium intake as I am taking blood pressure medication that also has a diuretic, so I am learning about foods rich in potassium: not just bananas (which I knew about), but also baked potatoes, acorn and butternut squash, white beans, lentils, avocado, dates, melon, papaya, soy beans and chard. I am learning about sodium levels in food as well. My cholesterol is also high, so I'm watching the fats as well.

I am eating a lot more tofu now, salads every day, and roasting vegetables. There is no doubt about it, I must make major changes in what I eat and how it is prepared. This is what happens when you reach age 59, and have been neglecting your body. I really love this website because it makes it easy to count calories and also track the exercise you get. It is so wonderful that I am staying with my son and his wife, who jog five miles every day. I follow them to the park at my own pace, but it is a great support in getting out there to watch them do it all the time. They really encourage me to go walking every day, and there are beautiful parks nearby in Portland, Oregon where they live. It's a new city to me, so I'm enjoying the walks and exploring the neighborhoods around us, especially the Overlook neighborhood.

So my latest mantra is to baby my body, and give myself all the loving care that I gave my son when he was a baby.

Sounds like you're in a perfect setting to support these changes! Good luck!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

lolwut?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLhKORV1F2cyTQNwlZyVxMU2ofiyKm06RK7tn8Bcm4IvvrdJlp1g