what do i need to do better here?

Options
28 soon to be 29 yr old female. 5'2, weighed in at 150 about 3 weeks ago. using my waist and wrist measurement, an online calculator told me i am at about 23.7% body fat and something like 26% bmi. since then i have been counting my calories much more closely as well as watching what i eat, and working out now 2-4 times a week regularly. I try to do 30 minutes of cardio combined with 15-20 minutes of strength each time. i have done, mostly, good about staying at 1200 net calories a day. a few days i was over and the next day, i would work out more.

so far, i've lost 5 pounds. while i feel better and am happy to have lost some weight, i m still disappointed, i had a goal to lose at least 2 lbs a week, hoping for a little more. i want to know is there anything i can do to kick up the ante more or anything that will help me learn more patience and keep my motivation going

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    This isn't Biggest Loser. It isn't realistic for someone your size to lose 2 lbs a week or more. You're doing fabulous.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Sounds as if you are doing great to me. I believe that patience is key when losing weight. A slow steady pace a great way to lose.
  • margritzmj
    Options
    I finally hired a trainer and you MUST burn more calories in a day than you take in. If you would up your cardio to 30 minutes a day and then add your 20 minutes of strength training every other day plus cardio then I think you would see some changes. I am 42 and he wants my heart rate to be 145-150. I am sticking with 1200 calories a day and hopefully burning at least 300 a day at the gym. It is motivating when you see the changes, but be patient! Good luck! :wink:
  • wongisms
    wongisms Posts: 12
    Options
    thanks! it used to be easier to lose weight, but then again, i was probably doing it the unhealthy way (ie starvation mode)
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    28 soon to be 29 yr old female. 5'2, weighed in at 150 about 3 weeks ago. using my waist and wrist measurement, an online calculator told me i am at about 23.7% body fat and something like 26% bmi. since then i have been counting my calories much more closely as well as watching what i eat, and working out now 2-4 times a week regularly. I try to do 30 minutes of cardio combined with 15-20 minutes of strength each time. i have done, mostly, good about staying at 1200 net calories a day. a few days i was over and the next day, i would work out more.

so far, i've lost 5 pounds. while i feel better and am happy to have lost some weight, i m still disappointed, i had a goal to lose at least 2 lbs a week, hoping for a little more. i want to know is there anything i can do to kick up the ante more or anything that will help me learn more patience and keep my motivation going

You're doing great. You aren't very big, so losing around 1 pound per week is probably a good goal. I would not recommend doing anything more dramatic calorie-wise, because you won't be able to keep it up and will gain back. If you have time and like exercise, you could do a bit more, but again, if you can't keep it up, there's no point in doing it short term.

Take pictures and measure! Sometimes you will feel like you aren't seeing results, but the pictures and measurements will keep you going.

Good luck!
  • wongisms
    wongisms Posts: 12
    Options
    also. is it normal to fluctuate +/- 5 lbs? today i weighed this morning at 145.3, this evening, at 148. i think that is one of the msot frustrating parts. i used to weigh betwn 120-130 most of my adulthood and recently packed on the pounds due to some life changes. trying to get back down to where i used to be has been tough since i love to eat.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    also. is it normal to fluctuate +/- 5 lbs? today i weighed this morning at 145.3, this evening, at 148. i think that is one of the msot frustrating parts. i used to weigh betwn 120-130 most of my adulthood and recently packed on the pounds due to some life changes. trying to get back down to where i used to be has been tough since i love to eat.

Completely normal. Why would you weigh more than once a day? Of course you're going to weigh more at night. If you're that obsessed with the scale I wouldn't weigh more than once a week max or you'll go completely insane with the normal weight fluctuations.