Frustrated!!!

Options
I am incredibly frustrated today. Because I have reactive hypoglycemia and I am borderline diabetic, my doctor sent me to see a dietician to help lose weight. I saw her the first time three months ago. She suggested I follow the “My Plate” plan (divide your plate into three sections, 1/2 Carbs, 1/5 protein, 4/5 vegetables). I gained 5# that month! She “reprimanded” me for not following the plan and not exercising enough.
The next month, she told me to continue my plate and eat 1800 calories and 80-90gm of protein. Two weeks in, I threw out the “My Plate” and joined MFP. I set my calorie goal at 1800 (which is just about TDEE -20%) and my macros at 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. I lost 4# the last two weeks of that month. She again scolded me for not losing enough weight, and told me the amount of sodium I was eating was too high.
So, this past month, I also began tracking sodium and fiber. I get 40gm of fiber a day and keep my sodium under 2500mcg all most every day. I lost 8# this month! Her only comment regarding my weight, “That’s good, but your total loss really should be at least twice that.” Ugh!!!
She then continued to critic my food log. (I should note, I stayed within my calories and macros for the month.) One day I had spaghetti with sausage. She said you can’t eat sausage and expect to lose weight. Um, I’m averaging 2# a week!
She then told me my breakfasts were inadequate. She said I needed to eat “real” food to keep me satisfied. I have 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt, blended with 1 cup fruit, 1 T chia seeds, and enough water/ice to make a smoothie. I vary the fruit and sometimes add cocoa or PB2 to change it up, this keeps me satisfied until lunch.
Is her job to help me lose weight or frustrate me to the point I want to binge? Grrrrr.......
Thanks for letting me vent!
Shari

Replies

• ShelbyNicole08
    Options
    Well she sounds awful and not supportive at all!!! Honestly, if you are happy with your progress and you are doing good to heck with it. Don't get down on yourself 2 lb a week is healthy and good. Sounds like you are doing great!! :)
  • fbcarlson
    fbcarlson Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    She sounds like a complete horses behind. Fire her and find one you can work with. She can't be the only one in your area. This journey is hard enough without that kind of "expert" advice.
  • Sweet_Kimmie
    Options
    I agree with the lovely Shebert19! You are doing great! 2lbs a week is healthy. I think you need a new doctor!
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Your support helps.
    I think part of the problem is she does not think I can lose weight unless I follow her plan. Since, I have chosen a different path, she has to be hypercritical.
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    ahw Shari ( HUGS ) Sorry to hear a health care professional can be so callous. Maybe it would be beneficial to find a different nutritionist to help you on your journey. You are an amazing creature, full of wonderful ideas and infectious smiles, you are warm and caring and you love others as you love yourself. Just a guess I might add ; ) LOL , have a peaceful evening. I support you and I salute you !
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You are an amazing creature, full of wonderful ideas and infectious smiles, you are warm and caring and you love others as you love yourself. Just a guess I might add ; )

:happy:
    I'd like to think that is accurate! Thank you for responding.
  • kodakmemories
    Options
    Ditch her, that's over 100lbs right there!
  • gettinfitaus
    gettinfitaus Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    But you are loosely following her plan, just using different tools. Sorry she's being a cow. Hopefully you can look around and find someone a little less rigid.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you know what you need to do. Fire the dietician and just report to your doctor as needed.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    "Ditto" everything everyone has said.

- Fire her
    - She is a cow
    - You are doing what works for you, and being successful (2 pounds a week is good for long term weight loss)
    - Report to your doctor, and ask for a different referral
  • eddierichardson73
    eddierichardson73 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is she is arrogant. And doesn't like it because you did something to help yourself get started. Keep up the GREAT work. And be positive you are on the right track!
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Whaaat, that's a great result. Sounds like a downer, massively. Change doctors, I think your doing great!
  • lagcrg
    lagcrg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing well with this site and losing at a good pace. I think your dietitian is being a discouragement to you and should get away from him/her. There should be a little more encouraging not so much discouraging. I say just make sure your food/drink choices are healthier and keep logging and throw in exercise when and where you can and just keep up the good work, 2lbs a week is great in my eyes. Also remember that there may be times that we do need to adjust our intake in different ways, but for now it looks like your way is working so GOOD LUCK!
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    In your post, I could see how you can see your great progress - kudos to you and keep it up!!!! I don't get why this "expert" is being so hard on you. Like so many have said - find someone else, if you wanted a drill sergeant, you would have gone to one.