Heart rate or weight for calories burned?

Options
Hey guys!!! I just bought myself a heart rate monitor the other day for running, and other activities. It also has a function to track how many calories you burn according to your weight - which i know is how MFP calculates ythe calories.

However my heart rate averaged anywhere between 150 and 180 bpm (I checked my heart rate regularily on my run today)

According to the watch it said in 45 minutes I burned 158 calories based on my weight , but on this website ( http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx)

it asks your average heart rate for the duration, I said an average of 160 bpm, and answered all the other questions acordingly (same as info on MFP)

However, according to this site my calories burned are much higher (above 400 calories burned). Just curious because there is a massive difference between the result on my HRM and the calcultion ive found that uses your heart rate.

Which is the more accurate - calories burned according to weight, or heart rate?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    If your heart rate monitor has a chest strap, it will be more accurate. That being said if your hrm doesn't have a strap, then you're only guessing at your average heart rate, which could put the calculation off.

For example I've had two hrm both purchase for around $30 (well technically 3, but the $80 one had the same problem as my first...same brand go figure). The first was just a watch and the second was a watch with chest strap.

I went on a 3 mile walk averaging 2.9 mph with both so that I could test the accuracy of the one with the chest strap. Here is what my results where:

Just watch (took into account age & gender)
    950 calories burned
    I was taking my hr every 2-5 mins.
    Average: unknown
    Max: I think it said 200bpm at some point
    **I found a website calculator to see what my average HR would need to get this kind of a burn, and ended up with like 260bpm**

Watch with chest strap (took into account age, vo2max, and weight)
    375 calories burned
    Avg HR: 147
    Max HR: 165
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Does your HRM use a chest strap or is it one of those ones you have to touch periodically to give you a reading. The chest strap models are far more accurate. My HRM (Polar Ft4) takes into account all of my stats as well as my HR. It uses all of that information to estimate my calories burned during an aerobic event. Note that your HR itself doesn't determine your calories burned...it is simply data used by the HRM in it's formula and programming for estimating how much oxygen your muscle burned during an aerobic event.

The calculator you used sounds more accurate...if you know your VO2 max it is even more accurate. Just remember you need to deduct your BMR burn from that number as well.

I can do about 4 miles or so in 45 minutes and I burn right around 400 calories doing so.
  • composite
    composite Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of monitor and the way it calculates as there are a number of methods. If it doesn't use a chest strap then personally I wouldn't take much notice of it.

I use a Garmin Edge 800 and that calculates using the Firstbeat Algorithm (second most accurate Garmin way of doing it). This uses a lot of personal data that you input and then with heart beat data specifically times between beats.

The numbers I get out of the Garmin and from Garmin connect vary wildly from numbers I get from other sites that analyses the same data, the Garmin however is always the lowest number. I'm not really answering your question but I'm saying take all numbers you get from any online calculators with caution.
  • alycat1990
    alycat1990 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Does your HRM use a chest strap or is it one of those ones you have to touch periodically to give you a reading. The chest strap models are far more accurate. My HRM (Polar Ft4) takes into account all of my stats as well as my HR. It uses all of that information to estimate my calories burned during an aerobic event. Note that your HR itself doesn't determine your calories burned...it is simply data used by the HRM in it's formula and programming for estimating how much oxygen your muscle burned during an aerobic event.

The calculator you used sounds more accurate...if you know your VO2 max it is even more accurate. Just remember you need to deduct your BMR burn from that number as well.

I can do about 4 miles or so in 45 minutes and I burn right around 400 calories doing so.

Hey there!!! sorry to specify but I have the one with the pulse oximiter, I was looking at models with a chest strap and felt that it might not be as comfortable for running :)
  • skcarrion
    Options
    I don't have a HRM, but I think that the website calorie burn seems more like it. I would expect to burn way more than 158 calories for 45 minutes of running.
  • fayeonherway
    Options

Hey there!!! sorry to specify but I have the one with the pulse oximiter, I was looking at models with a chest strap and felt that it might not be as comfortable for running :)

Totally anecdotal but, I am busty female that uses my chest strap HRM during my power walks and hikes. I hardly know its on these days. I believe they will be the most accurate.
  • Johanne1957
    Johanne1957 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The HRM with chest straps are more accurate and the straps are quite comfy...I don't feel it when I have it on at all....158 calories for a 45 mins run seems a little low unless you are in super hero form...lol...
  • LuckyCheryl
    LuckyCheryl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    HRM with a chest strap is the most accurate. MFP and other sites are just giving an average based on the info you supply - the HRM is actually in tune to your body and the intensity level of the exercising that you are doing.
    Get a HRM with a chest strap, I wear mine running all the time. especially if you are eating back your exercise calories. :smile:
  • alycat1990
    alycat1990 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks a bunch guys!!! I have 90 days to return my watch so I may exchange it for a chest strap one.