Anyone else have a gym at work?

Options

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I work at a university, so I have a sweet fitness center discount to the gym on campus. I do see my co-workers and some students I work with, but generally I go so early that I don't see too many people. I love that it's convenient to the office and I can just work out, shower, and walk across the street to work.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've got a gym at work, and it's pretty darn cheap :) However, I'm not using it at the moment because I'm trying to find a time where it wouldn't be a hassle (as I would have to bring my own towels etc). We also get an hour a week off work to go to the gym so that's pretty nice *grin* I think I shall be starting to use it this week! They have better lifting equipment than my own gym!
  • rlinz123
    rlinz123 Posts: 30
    Options
    I work at a college, and the gym is about a 4 minute walk from my building, so I try to go a couple of times a week during my lunch hour to workout, and occasionally I go on the weekends or on an evening to work out longer. It's free for all faculty and staff, so I definitely try and take advantage of it!
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym at work - we reside in a shared office complex - but I discovered today that my company reimburses $150/year for a fitness club membership. For my new membership that means I'm going to pay $90/year... and that's stellar. :)

That's awesome! We have something like that too. They'll pay up to $35 a month for a gym membership (well, reimburse) and some people are worried they'll take that away once we have our "own" gym.

Folks should also check with their health insurance, sometimes they will have reward programs with gyms. My health insurance company had a partnership with Gold's Gym discounts me about $10/mo.
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My job has two actually. We have two locations with several hundred people at each place. The main gym is at the one I work at now. I use it. I prefer Planet Fitness but my work gym provides towels. I will occasionally work out at PF then drive to my work location and shower. By getting at work early to work out I get to park beside my desk just about instead of 2 streets over. Not literally that far but it sure feels that way.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I teach at a high school. I use the fitness room all the time as do many other teachers. I look at it as being a great example to my students...and it is super convenient
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I used to work for the YMCA & got to use the gym for free...but I did not like to workout there. Not because I ran into co-workers (I think I ran into a co-worker only once or twice) but because it was pretty limited in what they had to offer in the weight room.

I would much rather work pay for my having a gym membership & let me pick the gym.
  • 777twist
    777twist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    We have one, but I don't think I have ever been in there. I don't like working out when I can't put everything into it. If I was just across the street during lunch, they would be calling and texting. I would much rather do it when I'm off the clock without any disturbances.

Plus, my home Gym is probably better than what they have to offer. I'm sure it's just a bunch of stationary bikes, some universal machines and maybe some other cardio machine. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's really about my focus.

Plus, then I would be all sweaty!!!
  • squall88c
    squall88c Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's a great perk.
    Use it.

I usually go during lunch time.
    Less people & keeps me focused as I only have an hour.
  • donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I find a lot people different outside of work. Plus at our gym (like most gyms) everyone is off in their own little worlds. Listening to music, treadmills, etc... Doesn't feel like work.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The University I work for allows us to use the Wellness Center for an exceedingly exorbitant fee. Makes me sad :(

Why do they have to charge more than other gyms? Anyway, I work on an enormous, hilly campus and the gym is on the opposite end. They do hold free fitness classes for staff at "lunchtime," but that is at the stadium, separated from the main campus by a park, the basketball coliseum and two roads. Plus, I teach at their lunchtime.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a gym that was owned by my work, but there was a gym on the 3rd floor of my office tower (I was on the 8th floor) that offered an employee discount to all people who worked in the tower. Honestly, I attribute a lot of my early success in losing weight and improving my health to the cost and convenience of that gym. I went every single night after work – 5 days a week. If your work provides a resource like that I say, by all means, utilize it!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    yes I have one at work and make use of it all the time!
    There are some people who work out there I know and lots I Don't, but they are all there for the same reason you are, so why would it matter if someone sees you working out? They are doing the same thing.

I really don't understand that.

I usually go on my lunch or after work

its a perk!! take advantage if it! as with all perks... If you don't use it.. you could lose it!
  • Erin959
    Erin959 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I wish we had a gym at work. I think our company has a contract with Fitness First which is in the building up the road, so I might look into that once my current membership expires. It would be so damn convenient to have a gym that close, particularly as I have to commute at least an hour to work every day.
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    Thankfully, yes. My work place is pretty sprawling, so we have two gyms on the premises (quite a few buildings spread over a campus-like area, though it's not a university). Especially lucky is one of the gyms is in the basement of the building where I work. I dash down there during lunch pretty much every day and use the elliptical for about 35 minutes.

There are almost always other people there, but only occasionally do I run into someone I know. And I'm totally fine with that. I'm in the gym to workout and so are they.

If you want to use the gym at work, go ahead. That's what it's there for.
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    We have a nice little weight room, dumbells, a power rack, and a bench. The only thing we're missing is a pullup bar that's tall enough to actually use.

I have found that it is really nice, especially since the majority of my coworkers never go in there so I mostly haveit to myself when I use it.
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Technically speaking yes... I work for a city and we can use the city rec centers for a nominal fee (I pay $8 a month and the family plan is $12 a month)... and then we get discounts on the contractors that teach fitness classes and such... but in the actual building, no... but that would be nice... though my bosses are pretty supportive of me heading over to a rec center for lunch and getting my workout on.

My city community center used to be free if you lived in the city limits. I worked out a while ago when it was free and then I stopped going. When I finally decided to get my butt in gear again, they started charging. To keep the place open at 6AM they started charging $50 a year, which is still excellent. I have to be at work at 8AM that's the only problem. It takes me 15 mins to get there and 15 mins to get back home. I used to do the treadmill for an hour. I'm in IT and sometimes I would get an emergency call at 7:30 so that's why I don't go to the center in the morning anymore. Since I started doing workout DVDs I can sleep later and workout later. I used to have a treadmill at home but it broke down. So instead of buying another treadmill, I decided to do workout DVDs. The DVDs take up less space and cost less. I'm a morning person so I prefer to workout in the morning instead of the evening. I could go to the center in the evening but I haven't done that in a while. I figured doing cardio using the workout DVDs and an aerobic step is better than what I did on the treadmill. I really feel it after doing the workout DVDs and the aerobic step.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    ours just opened last week and I am having my first training session today!
  • Dan_73
    Dan_73 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes,
    Used it today, we have free weights, machines, treadmills, elliptical s and most important showers.

It's all free for us, I must admit I have just started using it..
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    sure do...we have free wieghts and machines...its nothing better than getting paid to work out