I want to lose 30lbs by August. Am I crazy?

Options
I'm 21-years-old, 5'7" and I want to be 160lbs by the end of August. Basically, that would mean I have to lose 30lbs in 4 months. Is this realistic? I know weight loss is usually quick at first, and then it gets harder to shed those last 10ish lbs and I don't want to set myself up for failure.
SW- 208lbs
CW-190lbs
GW- 140lbs, 160lbs by August 2013

Replies

• demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    bump to see the answers! i want to see what people say!
  • ang16840
    ang16840 Posts: 8
    Options
    You can definatley do it if you stay on track, i usually track it to a kg a week, although everyone is different.
    but i say go for it! i might even join you as i need to lose 15kgs(around 30 pounds) myself and my bday is in august so want to feel great for it for once :)
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I think it could be possible, but you would have to work your butt off. You would have to completely dedicate yourself to healthier lifestyle. I would give yourself a 6 month window to lose 30 lbs. You may lose it before, but that way if you don't you aren't upset with yourself.
  • zombikitten
    zombikitten Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ok! Well I'll just shoot for 160lb by Halloween then. Thanks everyone!
  • TerriAnne53
    TerriAnne53 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    U can do it. I lost 30.4 lbs since Jan 6, 2013. so just over 3 months. It is not hard. you just need to be dedicated to staying within your calories goal and getting exercise It the right foods.. good luck you can do it.
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    focus on your continued losses, healthy eating and activity and enjoy the process - no one needs the disappointment of not making a specific goal. Let's say you only lose 28 of the 30# goal, does this mean you are any less successful about improving your health? of course not! Keep up the great work!:heart::smile: :heart:
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Possible if you dedicate yourself 100%, even then weightloss isn't a simple numbers game (weight fluctuations, plateaus etc). I'd give yourself a longer deadline so you still have a goal but it isn't so drastic.
  • starfinale
    starfinale Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I think you can. I hope to lose more than that by August. :sad:
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    That's about a pound and a half a week, right? Yeah, you can absolutely do it. I lost an average of 1.5 pounds a week for the first few months when I was around 150 pounds. It only gets hard when you are near around 10 pounds of your goal. I kept my sanity by exercising about four days a week (you will hit "the wall" sometimes), and staggering my calories (changing the amount of calories you eat per day so you have a little wiggle room if you overdo it, and can cut back on the days you are not so hungry).
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are crazy. And your goal is doable. But, it might be more helpful to slow down a tad. You will feel a big difference even if you lose just 20 lbs it's just a little over a pound a week. I am quite certain you will feel fabulous if you do that and you won't have to kill yourself doing it in fact it could be fun. You can try out new healthier foods and find what exercise suits you etc... But, going breakneck speed it will be hard to say what works what doesn't it might be more frustrating to have more restrictions on your calories rather than mostly focusing on learning to like new things. If you had a hundred to lose my advise might be a bit different. But, you have like 50 and just getting half way there will be a major accomplishment and will do amazing things for your health.
  • Heather032190
    Heather032190 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Well if you are crazy so am I! lol I want to lose about the same amount I am 5'7" also I'm 206lbs and want to be 145lbs but for the time being I would settle for 160-170lbs before the year ends...hell I want to be under 200lbs ASAP!! lol :laugh:

But good luck!
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I've also lost 30lbs in 3 months.

Nov-Dec & Jan . I used intermittent fasting 19/5 approach. Results pics in my profile.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    In Janurary I started out at 200 pounds, I am now around 177. I hit 180 at the beginning of April, so you may not lose the full 30, you will get close. I've had mess-up days and I usually work out 3 days a week. Losing inches along the way will also make a difference in appearance.

Good luck! :)
  • tmac9767
    tmac9767 Posts: 1
    Options
    You are right where I was. I was able to lose 54lbs in 5 months. I also added Alli to my diet, might want to think about that if your doctor says it is ok. It keeps you honest and worked great for me. Good luck, I hope you make your goal!
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You are right where I was. I was able to lose 54lbs in 5 months. I also added Alli to my diet, might want to think about that if your doctor says it is ok. It keeps you honest and worked great for me. Good luck, I hope you make your goal!

yeah, because $hitting yourself sounds awesome. :noway:

OP, I agree with others that it's doable, but the number on the scale really means nothing. Why not just focus on doing your best each day? Whenever you happen to reach the goal you set for how you want to LOOK AND FEEL, you'll be done! I would hate to see you be disappointed over not making it to a 30 pound loss and lose sight of the progress you DO make, even if it's 25 pounds instead.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    the numbers is not important. what's important is finding something that works for you.
    a plan that is part of your habits now. recipes that you look forward to and love more than the fast food
    or other foods you've been eating. your plan is so awesome you don't even think about 'cheating'
    you look forward to doing your workouts and never want to quit or skip it.
    greatness is within all of us. greatness is just a series of small things done well.

I've been eating high protein for about a month. for the last 3 weeks i've been doing regular weight training.
    with a small deficit most days. that's it. i haven't changed very much else.
    I've lost close to 10 inches, everyday I feel healthier, stronger, smaller, better.
    I really don't look that much different, or any different on the outside.
    but before this was depressed, I ate so much that I gained back the 10lbs I lost at the beginning of the year.
    in about a month or less. But if I compare how i FEEL from then, and from last summer.
    it is like night and day. i still have the same issues in my life. i have a family to take care of,
    and all the problems that I had before are all still there. what's different is me. mentally i've trying
    and feel like a completely different person. i looked at a video of me last summer a few months ago,
    and was so ashamed. I just don't feel i look like that. i just don't. but i looked at that video yesterday.
    now i don't feel connected to that person, and can objectively look at myself then and now physically
    and say yeah from the outside i look about the same. but i'm on way to be in the best shape of my life.
    if all you focus on is the numbers, by any means necessary, you'll gain back all the weight just like me,
    and so many others. i lost 40 lbs 3 years ago, and this jan. i was right back at square 1. lost 10 and regained it
    again. you have to decide that this is it. you've had enough. it's not about losing pounds.
    that is a side affect of doing what it takes to get your body stronger, healthier, have more energy.
    and be the best you. if you're not there yet, then you're not ready yet.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Not crazy but not easy. I have been on here for 106 days and have lost 33 lbs so far. :bigsmile:
    I think it took me slightly over a month to hit the 30 lb mark, but I also like to eat very healthy and then splurge to keep myself sane and committed, i also drink a ton :laugh:
  • Weightlossmommy7
    Options
    It can be done! I've lost an average of two pounds a week by following Myfitnesspal's recommendations. I burn at least 500 calories a day and I eat at least 1300. It's been a piece of cake...Don't eat the cake though,lol. :laugh:
  • Moonlight17
    Moonlight17 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You can most definitely do it! The first couple of pounds are easy to lose, then you gotta make sure you switch up your workouts so you're body continues to work hard and burn calories. Also make sure you eat well and drink plenty of water. Try to limit your fat and carb intake. Hard, but has to be done to lose the weight.

Also know that the nearer you get to your goal (like the last 10lbs) are difficult to lose, but you'll probably look great either way, to the point it won't matter!

So short answer - No you aren't crazy at all! I'd be surprised if you didn't reach it by July :)