HELP! I'm doing insanity but knees kill!

Options
Ok well i'm 18 years old which sounds really young to be having such bad knee problems. It's true though they kill! it's not just when i'm working out it can be as simple as when I walking up stairs. I did a lot of damage to them I suppose I use to jump off my deck and a lot of other high objects like most kids, but I also spent 4 years skating hard which didn't do a lot of good for them either. Anyway i'm just woundering if anybody has any advise on what I can do about this, I really want to change my life and insanity is something I really want to do and finish but my knees kill even within the first few minutes of it. HELP!!!

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I def would see a doc you might be doing some serious damage
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,662 Member
    Options
    Your form and foot fall could be wrong. Most of the time I've seen people try to do JM's shred and other high impact moves, their form is wrong.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I would stop while you are ahead and find another low impact exercise. I have never tried insanity but it is for that exact reason. If the exercises cannot be modified to accommodate your knees/joints, find something else.

I have awful knees. They crack and pop and one pops out whenever it feels like it. Seriously, super painful. I would suggest walking (with knee braces if needed) and low impact exercises such as riding a bike or using an elliptical (you can get one on craigslist for a decent price if you can't afford a gym).

You need those knees for the rest of your life and if it causing that much pain just stop, find something else, and preserve them. Trust me!! I am 28 and I can't even jog, run, jump rope, etc. because of my knees. It's not worth it!
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I agree with the recommendation to see a doc. You may have to start with something different to build up some muscle in the legs with lower impact before doing Insanity. According to your profile it looks like you have some serious weight loss goals. It might be a matter of getting your weight down first. Excess weight adds noticeable wear and tear. I know of what I speak because I used to have knee pain when I was at my high end weight of 225. I didn't notice it was gone until I was down around 200.
  • cynpin34
    cynpin34 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes, see a doctor

I run and am doing insanity and have been taking glucosamine and fish oil for a few years (good for joints) And I can definitely tell when I don't take the supplements-my knees hurt, but its nothing major...so if its major paid I'd get them checked out!
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with Zumba.....knees. I going back to basic treadmill/weight lifting to see if I can strengthen my leg muscles first then retry again at a later date. Treadmill fine.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Stop. Seriously just stop. Don't try to cut back, just stop for a few days. If it gets better, do NOT go back to Insanity. If it doesn't get better go see your doctor. I was an avid gymnast/athlete for years (so I know how to jump, land, and squat properly) and I never had knee problems until I did Insanity. I would give myself a few days off when it got bad, then I would go back to it, and my knees would hurt all over again. I truly believe it's just over use. Try a different workout - p90x or if you want cardio, run outside if you can. You're too young to mess up your knees over a workout program.
  • cardiodude
    Options
    do p90x instead?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    do p90x instead?

Minus the Plyometrics DVD which is like Insanity Light.
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    You don't need Insanity to change your life. There are LOTS of other dvds to try. I agree that P90X(-plyo and being careful with Legs&Back) is much better. P90 and P90Master series are also a good alternative. There should be others but i haven't tried anything else.

I had knee injurie last year from doing lunges even with good form so be careful with those. Squats helped me a lot, not to mention yoga.
  • AbsyPernet
    AbsyPernet Posts: 145
    Options
    You should always check with a doctor first before you start and/or now, you got the pain, check with the Doc before you continue your workout.

Insanity can be tough on the knees, I should know, I am 43 :D But remember good form is vital, knee never goes over the ankles, just like what Shaun T says!!

I do strapped my knees up from time to time and when it is time for rest after six days of working out, I REST :tongue:

Good Luck with it
  • mistadj
    mistadj Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I also have bad knees from Insanity. I learned the hard way that
    1. these types of workouts are if you are already in decent shape (meaning..you cant be too much over weight starting this)
    2. If you just starting, dont try to maintain the same pace and intensity as the people in the videos (they are fitness experts or have already gone through the program a few times)
    3. Modify as much as you can

The main thing is to NOW go see a doctor...Im in Germany and unfortunatly there are reasons why i have to wait to get back to the states to have my knee checked out. I no longer do plyo exercises...but you dont really NEED them to get into shape anyway.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    First, talk to your doctor.

If it's okay with your doc, then I'd suggest lifting weights and finding some cardio, such as biking, swimming or the elliptical, that you can do. Give your knees a break.