What's healthy in an Italian Restaurant?

Options
Really daft question but has anyone been to Tony Macaroni's in Glasgow? I'm going this week but ive never been before and its my first meal out since I started my diet and sooo don't wanna go off it. I looked on their website and there's zero nutritional
information & was just wondering if there was anyone on here that has been and could suggest anything that they know is lower in calories/fat? Or even just anyone in general - what's healthier in an Italian restaurant lol?

Replies

• Fatbirdtalking
    Options
    You could always go with fish or a meat/steak with salad or vegetables. If you do have pasta choose a tomato based sauce avoid the creamy cheesy sauces and maybe a fruit dessert or sorbet but overall have fun, you still have to live your life.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Salad with fish or chicken, no dressing (or vinaigrette on the side so you can see how much you're adding) and breadsticks tend to be good.

I'd avoid the pizzas and doughballs in butter. Cheesy pastas tend to send calories and fat through the roof, but tomato-based ones aren't as bad.
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I was in Edinburgh last week and saw one of those, but didn't go in. Is it any good? Looks like it's a new one in Bruntsfield Place.

Back to your question, anything that's not got too much cheese/cream in it. They do 3 pizzas without cheese, quite a few pasta dishes with a tomato based sauce - but avoid the ones with the butter/parmesan towards the end of the menu (I'm looking at the Merchant City menu), there's grilled salmon fillet, and there's tapas if you avoid the fried ones or the ones in the cream sauce or with cheese. But mainly, enjoy yourself. Go to the gym beforehand so you have a few extra calories to use up.
  • Lieann22
    Lieann22 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    looking at the menu it looks like they only really do pizza. But on the plus side they sell it by the slice and by the half as well.

I have the same prob as I am going to prezzos tomorrow night for a girlie night out.

My philosophy is - enjoy it - don't go mad - and log it. You can limit you cals that day and maybe the day before to make an allowance. I would have half a pizza and a salad - prob work out at about 1000 cals but its a night out and you never want to feel like you are going without or you could just fall of the wall completely.

Menu looks lush!!! have fun - And go for a very long walk the next day and drink plenty of water
  • Claairey1992
    Claairey1992 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Thanks for your replies! You're right I do want to enjoy myself (and the food ;)) but I'll try and keep it limited. I was gonna go for the plain chicken breast with spaghetti in olive oil dressing (I think that's what it was lol) but I'll try and stick with tomato based things. It's sucks it doesn't give nutritional info - I would've thought this was a requirement?
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Not in the UK, in the USA it appears to be. There has been some pressure to get the government to make it a requirement, but they just backtrack when businesses say it'll cost too much.

I usually try and find something that sounds very similar from companies that do give the details. Or find an US alternative on here that you can base it on. Or even a supermarket ready meal that sounds similar - you just have to watch the portion sizes, sometimes the ready meals can be smaller than what you'd get in a restaurant.

All the nutritional info is approximate anyway, so you can never be totally sure when eating out or eating pre-made food.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Everything is healthier with a Guinness.
  • Claairey1992
    Options
    that sucks @rainghirl but thanks for the great advice whatever I get I'll deff be ordering the side salad :D and by the looks of things there isn't any sorbet for dessert which I was holding out for but hey ho - will just been to do plenty of exercise haha.

haha unfortunately @neanderthin I don't drink and if I did I doubt it would be guinness hahaa! :P
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I just bought olive oil yesterday - there's about 120 calories per tablespoon - just for reference. I think pasta is also around 120-150 calories per 1 cup cooked (2 oz. dry). If you figure out some "generic" numbers, it will help you make better choices. It's easier if you can get all the "parts" separated, so you can like elect to eat all the chicken,, but half or a third of the pasta portion. A lettuce salad with dressing on the side is a good starter - taking the edge off your appetite with a relatively low calorie "cost".
  • Claairey1992
    Options
    don't think we're doing starters. - just straight in to the main which I'm pleased about! Think I'm gonna go with a tomato based pasta dish with a side salad! I've burnt about 800 cals this week and haven't eaten them back so I'm thinking that could maybe help compensate :) olive oil is v. high in cals unfortunately :/ but thanks! good advice!!