Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Eating Right Salad Spray

Cytherea
Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
Ok, so I bought some of these to attempt to use less salad dressing, just like the "I Can't Believe its Not Butter" spray... but it doesn't say how many sprays will start adding things like fat to your salad. The Wishbone Salad Spritzer ones do (for example, the Caesar has 1 gram of fat per 10 sprays). Does anybody know? I know with the butter spray 25 sprays has 20 calories and 2 grams of fat, and that is in the database. I just don't want to use a lot of it and then be not recording the extra fat and whatever else and end up going over without realizing it! Thanks!

Replies

• AprilChampion
    AprilChampion Posts: 184 Member
    actually, the "i cant believe its not butter spray" has NO fat and NO cals in it AT ALL...you can use as much as you want without adding anything to what you are eating....

im not sure about the salad sprays as they tend to be to greasy for me, even though they may be "fat free" or say they are...
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    I bought the Wish Bone salad spray (Asian Silk flavor) without reading the label. I was suckered in by the calorie count in large letters on the outside of the bottle: "1 Calorie per spray". Then I took it home and saw that the 2nd ingredient after water is high fructose corn syrup. I was pretty disappointed.
  • Cytherea
    actually, the "i cant believe its not butter spray" has NO fat and NO cals in it AT ALL...you can use as much as you want without adding anything to what you are eating....

Sorry, hunni, but that's not true.

http://www.thatsfit.com/2007/06/01/i-cant-believe-its-not-butter-spray-is-full-of-fat-buyer-be/

http://www.hungry-girl.com/askhg/askhgdetails.php?isid=92

Anyways...

Actually, I have this same question about other products, too. For example, the Snackwell's cookies... it says 0 g of fat per cookie, but if you eat more than one cookie? All over the ingredients there are asterisks stating "adds a negligible amount of fat"... well when you add that up, when it is no longer a negligible amount? The Eating Right brand cookies are the same as the Snackwell's but say that each cookie has .5 g of fat. Is it safe to assume that the Snackwell's are the same way?
  • AprilChampion
    AprilChampion Posts: 184 Member

Sorry, hunni, but that's not true.

http://www.thatsfit.com/2007/06/01/i-cant-believe-its-not-butter-spray-is-full-of-fat-buyer-be/

http://www.hungry-girl.com/askhg/askhgdetails.php?isid=92

Anyways...

Actually, I have this same question about other products, too. For example, the Snackwell's cookies... it says 0 g of fat per cookie, but if you eat more than one cookie? All over the ingredients there are asterisks stating "adds a negligible amount of fat"... well when you add that up, when it is no longer a negligible amount? The Eating Right brand cookies are the same as the Snackwell's but say that each cookie has .5 g of fat. Is it safe to assume that the Snackwell's are the same way?

that article is full of crap...im sitting here READING the label....it has NOTHING in it....no "fine print" as the article talks about...

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/45386/its_true_i_cant_believe_its_not_butterspray.html

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-cant-believe-its-not-butter-i95578

http://www.icantbelieveitsnotbutter.com/Products/Spray.aspx
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    you are so much better off (and so is the landfill) by simply using oil and vinegar + herbs. i wouldn't trust a "spray" dressing for the life of me!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member

im not sure about the salad sprays as they tend to be to greasy for me, even though they may be "fat free" or say they are...

that's impossible. there's no such thing as 0 calorie food, unless it's a straight-up chemical, in which case i would question the hell out of it.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    On nutrition labels, it is not required to give any sort of indication about trans fat as long as it is under, I believe, 0.5 grams per serving (in the USA). So yes, a food may say "zero" for fat, but this does not necessarily mean it does not contain any fat. No astericks required.

In fact, i am fairly confident that if the amount of anything is less than 0.5 g, it can be legally stated on the label as 0 g.
  • Cytherea
    That's the point. They are allowed to say that there is nothing in it because it is under a certain amount. It is ridiculous to believe that the entire bottle has 0 calories and 0 g of fat, especially seeing as the second ingredient is oil. No oil has no fat!! If you were to put regular butter or olive oil into a spray container, it would be the same, no fat, because you are using so little in one spray. But their "topping" info is only 5 sprays- which is nothing. That isn't even enough to butter one piece of toast! So because their serving size is so small, they can still get away with the claim that there are 0 cals and 0 g of fat. Because they are not required to list .08 g of fat per spray (because it is such a small amount) it leads people to believe that there is ACTUALLY 0 g of fat, and everybody knows 0 x 25 = 0... but .08 x 25 = 2.

I can read the label too, but I'm not that trusting or that naive to believe that there is any food that is calorie free. I know that the regulations are such that they don't have to list it if it is under a certain amount. If you look at any cooking spray, they are the same way. But their serving size is one third of one second of a spray! What does that even mean? It means that they found a way to label their product so that it appears fat free, even though it isn't when you use more than the single serving.

If you think that pouring a whole bottle of this stuff on your veggies or potatoes or whatever it is that you are going to eat will have no consequences, that's fine, it doesn't really matter either way to me. But I'm not about to believe it for a second.

And all of my questions still stand. Anyone have any ideas??

EDIT: I went and looked it up.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/GuidanceDocuments/FoodLabelingNutrition/FoodLabelingGuide/ucm064911.htm

This lists the nutrient content claims and their definitions. If you look at "fat" and "free" you will see that the only requirement is that there be less than a half a gram of fat per serving. If what I've been told is correct, there is .08 per spray and therefore .4 in 5 sprays, meaning that they are allowed to round down and call the product fat free, EVEN THOUGH IT ISN'T.

You know what they say... if it sounds too good to be true...
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    that article is full of crap...im sitting here READING the label....it has NOTHING in it....no "fine print" as the article talks about...

The nutrition is given per serving and when fat is less than, like, 0.5 grams per serving, companies are allowed to round DOWN on nutrition labels. What are the ingredients of the product? Here's what I found:
    Ingredients: Water, Liquid Soybean Oil, Salt, Sweet Cream Buttermilk, Xanthan Gum, Soy Lecithin, Polysorbate 60, Lactic Acid, (Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Calcium Disodium EDTA) Used To Protect Quality, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Vitamin A (Palmitate), Beta Carotene (For Color).

The second ingredient is oil. Of course it has calories and fat in it. It's just that per SERVING, they company gets to round down to make it look like they aren't there.
  • recipe4success
    LOL i read your first post wrong :0 going to go searching again. :)
  • recipe4success
    not the same brand, but maybe this will give you a bit of an idea:

http://www.fitclick.com/how_many_calories_in_Newmans_Own_Asian_Sesame_Natural_Salad_Mist_10_Sprays?fd=147212

20 sprays = 20 cal + 1 gram fat
  • Cytherea
    you are so much better off (and so is the landfill) by simply using oil and vinegar + herbs. i wouldn't trust a "spray" dressing for the life of me!

I recycle, I swear! =)

I usually do that, but I make HUGE salads and one tablespoon of olive oil is 14 g of fat... and one tablespoon isn't really enough for the whole salad. I know they are good fats, but that's more than a third of my day's worth of fat (if I only use one tablespoon!) and I just can't do that every day.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member

I recycle, I swear! =)

I usually do that, but I make HUGE salads and one tablespoon of olive oil is 14 g of fat... and one tablespoon isn't really enough for the whole salad. I know they are good fats, but that's more than a third of my day's worth of fat (if I only use one tablespoon!) and I just can't do that every day.

I make salads so big that I eat them out of a mixing bowl and I use just 1 teaspoon of oil (olive or sesame) and 2-3 teaspoons of lemon or lime juice and that is really all I need. What I find works well is to give all the greens a good toss in the dressing and then add the other veggies to the top and then mix it all together. I do like my dressing very light, though. I don't like the veggies to be swimming in dressing. Only two ingredients and so much cheaper!
  • Cytherea
    LOL that's exactly what I do! I make it in a huge mixing bowl and eat it out of there, tons of veggies and lettuce and meat and cheese sometimes too. I generally like a LOT of dressing... I'm kinda crazy. The amount that I would usually use (before I started to watch what I ate and lose weight) was pretty insane. So I can't imagine using only 1 tsp on my big salad... even 1 tbs isn't enough! LOL. I wish it was! I usually use vinegar instead and I'll use a ton of it, but it starts to burn your lips and mouth after a while, hehehe. I'm trying to use less and less so I can eventually get used to it. I don't like the fat free dressing because they are made with chemicals that sketch me out and they don't taste that good. I've found some lower calorie ones that I use on occasion but I like some variety and the spray ones have all different kinds, which is why I thought I'd try that. And I thought that maybe it would help me use less if it was spread out more (because sometimes when you add dressing, it is hard to mix and you end up with a ton at the bottom and not enough at the top). I just want to make sure I'm not going overboard and loading up with fat I'm not aware of!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    LOL that's exactly what I do! I make it in a huge mixing bowl and eat it out of there, tons of veggies and lettuce and meat and cheese sometimes too. I generally like a LOT of dressing... I'm kinda crazy. The amount that I would usually use (before I started to watch what I ate and lose weight) was pretty insane. So I can't imagine using only 1 tsp on my big salad... even 1 tbs isn't enough! LOL. I wish it was! I usually use vinegar instead and I'll use a ton of it, but it starts to burn your lips and mouth after a while, hehehe. I'm trying to use less and less so I can eventually get used to it. I don't like the fat free dressing because they are made with chemicals that sketch me out and they don't taste that good. I've found some lower calorie ones that I use on occasion but I like some variety and the spray ones have all different kinds, which is why I thought I'd try that. And I thought that maybe it would help me use less if it was spread out more (because sometimes when you add dressing, it is hard to mix and you end up with a ton at the bottom and not enough at the top). I just want to make sure I'm not going overboard and loading up with fat I'm not aware of!

The fat gram values on this site are lower than what the body actually needs. The human body needs a pretty good amount of fat intake a day to help with vitamin absorption, organ function and just over all function period.

A lot of inflammatory diseases are caused due to such low fat eating, especially in the United States.

1 tbsp of Olive Oil is not going to hurt you, especially if you are eating pretty clean to begin with.
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    I love salad! I have it most every day (sometimes twice!) I got an olive oil dispenser like the one on the left: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/countertop?productId=10023959&N=188&Nao=32

It helps limit the amount of oil that comes out at a time plus I can spread it better over the bowl (like they do on tv! :laugh: ) It is probably one of my most favorite things I've bought for the kitchen that seemed "unnecessary"- after all the oil already comes in a bottle right? Honestly, it's great for portion control! I use about 1 tsp of olive oil, plus 1/8 of a lemon squeezed on top of the salad plus fresh ground pepper and a tiny bit of fresh ground sea salt. It's always perfect. :) If I *need* a bottle dressing for something different, then I like the Bolthouse farms ones- they are made with yogurt instead of milk/cream. Much lower in cals/fat, etc and they taste great. A little goes a long way, too. :) Honestly, homemade dressings are so easy, there is no need for bought ones.

Another trick- go to the Container Store and get some small Nalgene bottles like these (you can order off the site, too):
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/foodStorage/commercial?productId=10023382&N=74064

They are leak proof- so perfect for taking to work. And they come in a variety of sizes. I will mix up some dressing right in there and you can shake it to mix (no leaks!) and they come in sizes to make up just enough for a couple of days so you don't have to commit to one dressing for weeks. lol A bit of balsamic, olive oil, salt, pepper, herbs, etc... easy peasy!! :)
  • Cytherea
    I love salad! I have it most every day (sometimes twice!) I got an olive oil dispenser like the one on the left: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/countertop?productId=10023959&N=188&Nao=32

It helps limit the amount of oil that comes out at a time plus I can spread it better over the bowl (like they do on tv! :laugh: ) It is probably one of my most favorite things I've bought for the kitchen that seemed "unnecessary"- after all the oil already comes in a bottle right? Honestly, it's great for portion control! I use about 1 tsp of olive oil, plus 1/8 of a lemon squeezed on top of the salad plus fresh ground pepper and a tiny bit of fresh ground sea salt. It's always perfect. :) If I *need* a bottle dressing for something different, then I like the Bolthouse farms ones- they are made with yogurt instead of milk/cream. Much lower in cals/fat, etc and they taste great. A little goes a long way, too. :) Honestly, homemade dressings are so easy, there is no need for bought ones.

Another trick- go to the Container Store and get some small Nalgene bottles like these (you can order off the site, too):
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/foodStorage/commercial?productId=10023382&N=74064

They are leak proof- so perfect for taking to work. And they come in a variety of sizes. I will mix up some dressing right in there and you can shake it to mix (no leaks!) and they come in sizes to make up just enough for a couple of days so you don't have to commit to one dressing for weeks. lol A bit of balsamic, olive oil, salt, pepper, herbs, etc... easy peasy!! :)

Great ideas! Thanks! So you don't use the spray for oil, you use the pouring one? I was thinking about getting a spray bottle for the oil, but then I'd have no idea how to measure out how much I used!
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Great ideas! Thanks! So you don't use the spray for oil, you use the pouring one? I was thinking about getting a spray bottle for the oil, but then I'd have no idea how to measure out how much I used!

Yep! The pouring one slows the oil coming out (vs. just pouring from the bottle it comes in). I generally eyeball it when I put it in a pan or on the salad, but I find a quick back and forth is enough! In fact, I am guessing I over estimate it at 1 tsp every time, but I figure I'd rather over estimate a bit. If you get the nalgenes, they have measurements on the sides (tsp or tbsp depending on the size you get). Then you can measure exactly what you're using. They really are a great invention!
This discussion has been closed.