Wasn't it just a matter of staying under the calorie limit?

Options
1235»

Replies

• smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Bump to read replies

You ain't missing much. Just the typical MFP bull. Someone has some bogus advice, people who have been at this healthy lifestyle thing for a while come in to debunk the bull shirt, and bogus advice person wants to argue. Round and round they go.

For those on here giving the sound advice, thank you! It's because of you folks that I am able to understand that this is about making better choices and moving more.
  • davypr86
    davypr86 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I guess it was the sodium. :) 243.8 lb.

Thank you all for your advice!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Carbs. Your diet has way too many carbs, and you work out too hard. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but crazy workouts make you super hungry, eating carbs makes your insulin fire up and store fat, which in turn makes you more hungry. You don't eat nearly enough protein. You could completely stop counting calories and eat tons of protein and stop eating rice and pasta salad and tortillas and cereal and you would lose weight. Rice, pasta, etc are not part of a nutritious eating plan. Eat a huge steak for dinner with a huge side of veggies - 2 cups of greens at least. Eggs and bacon for breakfast instead of cereal.

You mean, like in Adkins and South Beach?

this is just bad advice.....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP how are you calculating your calorie burn? You said you burn 800 cals a day with exercise..that seems high. When I have a killer leg work out I usually burn 400 to 500 calories and 500 would be on the high end...you might over estimating your burn.

What kind of exercise is included in your regimen?
  • davypr86
    Options
    OP how are you calculating your calorie burn? You said you burn 800 cals a day with exercise..that seems high. When I have a killer leg work out I usually burn 400 to 500 calories and 500 would be on the high end...you might over estimating your burn.

What kind of exercise is included in your regimen?

I do an hour of the elliptical trainer. I put it un resistance 7 or 8. The machine says I burn over 800 calories.
  • bhmathews
    bhmathews Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Everybody is weighing in (ha, no pun intended) on this one. Nothing gets people fired up like discussing what is "wrong" with a weight loss plan.

I think it's possible you are overestimating your burn. Our elliptical wayyyyy overestimates calories burned. I can be onthe treadmill, running hill intervals, sweat pouring off me with the hubs doing a moderate workout next to me, not even breaking a sweat. The elliptical will throw some crazy calorie burn for him thats twice what the treadmill is telling me. The best part is that I know the treadmill goes high on calorie burn.

As for diet, here's my two cents: eat as fresh as you can. Lots of leafy greens, raw veggies and some fruit. Stay away as much as you can from processed foods (so difficult, I know). Track you cals, eat less than your target some days and a little over others. Enjoy fresh whole foods.

AND...... Ride out those weeks where there is little loss or even gain. If you are eating healthy and moderately exercising, the fat will come off.

Good luck!!!
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I guess it was the sodium. :) 243.8 lb.

Thank you all for your advice!

END
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    You only gained 0.6 lbs...

Water weight? Big poo on board?

There's a lot of things it could be. It's less than a pound, don't fret.
  • divinenanny
    divinenanny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    A HRM is much more accurate, I find, than both MFP and machines.
  • RedfishGuy
    RedfishGuy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Here's my opinion, and I have no idea why I'm even posting this.

I'm not going to post any vanity pics of body parts or find any research to validate my comments, so don't ask. You want pics from me? I'll show you some pics of fish I caught this weekend.

To the OP, good job on making your workouts a habit. Looks and sounds like you're working hard. There ain't no secret to weight loss. Calories out > calories in will work.

At the beginning of an exercise program or significant change in your workouts, you're likely retaining water as your muscles flood with water to repair damage. From my experience, which is only my experience, you won't get a good idea of where you're at and what's happening until after the first month, as your body adapts to the change (or introduction) in your exercise program.

You can micro-manage your carbs, fat, sodium, etc. if you want and you're inclined. Me personally? I'd concentrate on calories in versus calories out.

I've been doing a lot of cardio and eating on a caloric deficit the past 3 weeks, because I'd like to see my 4-pack again. I've gained 4 pounds. I don't care, It will take care of itself, probably around week 5.

Keep at it, good luck, and good job.
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Carbs. Your diet has way too many carbs, and you work out too hard. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but crazy workouts make you super hungry, eating carbs makes your insulin fire up and store fat, which in turn makes you more hungry. You don't eat nearly enough protein. You could completely stop counting calories and eat tons of protein and stop eating rice and pasta salad and tortillas and cereal and you would lose weight. Rice, pasta, etc are not part of a nutritious eating plan. Eat a huge steak for dinner with a huge side of veggies - 2 cups of greens at least. Eggs and bacon for breakfast instead of cereal.

But not all the Carbs are bad! if you eat whole grain and also control the portions of your food, maybe you won't have problem with the weight!!

I think that cut all tha carbs aren't good, you need some fuel and the carbs give you that, only you need to choose the correct one!
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Question "Wasn't it just a matter of staying under the calorie limit?"

Well, read on...

For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, twinkies every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.
    The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.

http://www.cnn.co.uk/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • LaurendaWinkler
    Options
    I would suggest reading a book called, "Why Do We Get Fat" to you and pretty much everyone else (I'm sure it's available at the library). The calories in/calories out idea is much more complex than we are willing to admit. There are no studies out there that prove that simply increasing exercise and decreasing calories is a long-term successful way to lose weight and keep it off. If you want a short, VERY simplified answer without having to read and learn on your own: carbs/sugars increase the insulin response in our bodies, thereby increasing fat storage and hunger signals. Exercise greatly increases hunger. For someone who is already overweight, the excess fat signals cravings that are nearly uncontrollable. The more fat you have stored, the more out of whack your insulin response is. Starvation mode diets (consistently eating under the calories you need - 400-1700 for example) work for a while, but as soon as the person stops keeping their calories below that threshold, they gain the weight back. If you want sustainable weight loss, you need to increase the protein in your diet, and add in lots of veggies. Several cups of greens and a lot of protein, then stop eating when you feel full. It isn't necessary to count calories. Keep in mind that fruit has a lot of sugar, so it is best to stay away from it until your body's insulin responses have normalized. Limit exercise until you have gotten the cravings somewhat under control, and then keep it light for a while (maybe walk 30 minutes 5 days). If you are hungry, have more protein. Learn what is a sugar craving and what is true hunger. Eventually, the crazy addictive pull of sugars and starches will die down. The more fat you lose and the less sugar you consume on a regular basis, the more easy it will become to keep weight off.

And YES, you can eat bacon and steak. There are NO studies proving that a low-fat diet is good for your heart or your waistline. In fact, a little bit of fat with a carb makes the insulin response level out because fat and protein take longer to digest.

All of you stating what you should and should not eat need to check the real research. We have been fed so much misinformation that we think low-fat, low-calorie, tons of exercise is the way to health. If it was, the obesity problem would be solved. Unfortunately doctors who treat their patients with the USDA recommeneded guidelines don't see much success. Scientists can't find a link between the simple calories in/out rule and weight loss, but the media and government buy into it because it is the only explanation that seems to make "sense" so they keep trying to prove it. Read the book or look into the research on your own.

I wish there was a "like" button. This was an excellent post. Thank you.
  • adcbing
    adcbing Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post about the HRM and the eliptical. According to mfp, I would be burning more calories on my eliptical than doing Insanity. Knowing my body, I can tell how hard I am working, and running on the eliptical for 45 minutes is nowhere near as difficult as Insanity. My HRM is in the mail now!

Also, we all sometimes look at what we're eating and think - there's no way this is worth that much (calorie-wise). But, somehow we got ourselves to this place so our perceptions are a bit off. Measuring is a good habit for a while and then you get used to the portion sizes and can stop. Just be sure to go back and check yourself every month or so or your portions may start growing again. :)

Good Luck!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure everything you eat and use the actual calorie counts. It is a pain to have to enter recipes into MFP sometimes, but once you've done it, it's in there for you. That way, you aren't estimating the calories - there is a big difference between 200 calories and 800 calories in terms of your daily intake.

Also, machines tend to overestimate (or badly estimate) the number of calories burned. Try a heart rate monitor or the like to more accurately estimate your calorie burn. You may be surprised.

However, like others have said, 0.6 pounds is a VERY small fluctuation. You are going to have days where you are higher/lower than you expect. It is hard not to obsess about the numbers, but with such a small fluctuation, excess sodium would be a likely culprit. Drink plenty of water, eat well and you will be just fine. :)
  • davypr86
    Options
    Question "Wasn't it just a matter of staying under the calorie limit?"

Well, read on...

For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, twinkies every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.
    The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.

http://www.cnn.co.uk/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Wow! Well...that answers my question, lol.

Amazing!
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Here's my opinion, and I have no idea why I'm even posting this.

I'm not going to post any vanity pics of body parts or find any research to validate my comments, so don't ask. You want pics from me? I'll show you some pics of fish I caught this weekend.

To the OP, good job on making your workouts a habit. Looks and sounds like you're working hard. There ain't no secret to weight loss. Calories out > calories in will work.

At the beginning of an exercise program or significant change in your workouts, you're likely retaining water as your muscles flood with water to repair damage. From my experience, which is only my experience, you won't get a good idea of where you're at and what's happening until after the first month, as your body adapts to the change (or introduction) in your exercise program.

You can micro-manage your carbs, fat, sodium, etc. if you want and you're inclined. Me personally? I'd concentrate on calories in versus calories out.

I've been doing a lot of cardio and eating on a caloric deficit the past 3 weeks, because I'd like to see my 4-pack again. I've gained 4 pounds. I don't care, It will take care of itself, probably around week 5.

Keep at it, good luck, and good job.

Agree^^ Anytime I gain, I try not to let it get me down. I know that I am on a calorie deficit and as long as I continue, the weight will still drop. Just like if I were in a calorie surplus the weight will indeed rise.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I wont lie. I'm pretty frustrated. I actually upped my calorie intake last week because I was low the week before.

I've been thinking that maybe I'm relying too much on the exercise to eat more. Maybe I ought to cut on the exercising and force myself to eat less.

No. Definitely don't do this. Work out hard if you want to, but get some activity in. It really does help.
    Are you measuring all your food on a scale/measuring cups/spoons?
    And, if you are eating out regularly, are you accounting for inaccurate estimated calories? Usually, if I eat out, I try and factor in a 20-30% inaccuracy so I have some cushion.
    Similarly, if you are working out on a treadmill or going by MFP estimated cardio calories, they are often very, very inaccurate and you are probably burning less than they are saying.
  • vickiessecret
    vickiessecret Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This may not apply, but from my personal friends who are struggling (vs the ones who are seeing movement in the numbers)... the most common factors are overestimating type of exercise and underestimating portion size. It happens. Not many know EXACT calculations to begin with, but two ways to reduce errors at home are through the use of a heart rate monitor and a food weighing scale.

I agree with this, & if your using this site to calculate your calories burned by typing in you excercise, this site overestimates calories burned by alot. I just go my new HRM the polar ft4 with the chest strap & it takes all of my info & I was suprised to see the difference in calories this site says I burn compared to my HRM & even the machines at the gym tell me I burn more than I actually do. & alot of times people eat back all of their exercise cals & if they are being overestimated, they are eating back way too much. So I would invest in a good hrm & a food scale :)