Am I hitting the plateau or eating too much?

Options
Hello everyone.

So I started using MFP around mid February. Till now I have lost 14 lbs (around 6.5 kg). My height is 5"4' (162 cm) and current weight is 154 lbs (70 kg). My daily calorie intake is around 1400 kcals and I exercise 6 days a week, burning around 400 kcals for each training. There are also days that I skip my workout since I have very busy schedule.

However for the last 3 weeks I have lost only 1 lbs as my eating is relatively clean and healthy. I am really trying to stay away from bad food and I do think that I make good food choices. Once or twice a week I will allow myself a treat but it usually is very small, like hot chocolate with whipped cream, not a full blown meal. I drink plenty of water everyday, around 14-16 glasses. I don't feel hungry and I find that 1400 kcals are absolutely enough for me.

So I start to wonder whether I am already hitting the plateau or is it that I eat a bit too much? I am really confused here. Since I know to break past the plateau I have to increase the intensity of my exercises (which are quite intense and different every day so I doubt that will work) or I have to increase my calorie intake. On the other hand could it be that I am eating too much which means that I have to decrease my calorie intake?

I am aware that I am not going to keep losing weight with the same tempo and of course at the beginning there is always a big drop and then the scales creeps down very slowly. But still I want to see a drop of at least a pound a week :)

All your advice and comments will be appreciated! Thanks!

If it could help here is a small preview of my meals for one day (my days are more or less similar, but not the same)

1. Breakfast - half a cup of oatmeal cooked with water, splash of low fat milk, half a cup of berries, scoop of protein powder
2. Snack - some fruit (banana, apple) or protein bar
3. Lunch - salad with half a cup of canned kidney beans or 2 hard boiled eggs
4. Snack - some fruit (banana, apple) or protein bar, or sandwich (2 whole grain toasts, turkey deli breasts, light cheese, light mayo)
5. Dinner - steamed veggies or soup, or grilled fish

Replies

• b4u386
    b4u386 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you aren't eating back your exercise calories, then you're not eating enough.

Most are going to point you to 'In place of a roadmap' - it really does work.

We have almost exactly the same stats (5'4'', I started at 163 and now 147ish). I eat 1550 calories a day, AND eat back my exercise calories (300/400 a day) so end up eating 1900ish a day, and I'm losing steadily.

Edit: your meals look good, to boost calories I'd add almond/cashew nuts and possibly some natural peanut butter with snacks.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you aren't eating back your exercise calories, then you're not eating enough.

We have almost exactly the same stats (5'4'', I started at 163 and now 147ish). I eat 1550 calories a day, AND eat back my exercise calories (300/400 a day) so end up eating 1900ish a day, and I'm losing steadily.

Edit: your meals look good, to boost calories I'd add almond/cashew nuts and possibly some natural peanut butter with snacks.

all of this!
  • poma91
    poma91 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks a ton. I will try that :)
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If all your numbers are correct, it looks like you have a deficit of 700-800 calories a day.

Personally I would say that's fine and just give it a few more weeks but I'd bet 90% of the people here are going to demand that you eat moaaaaar.
  • Pigbear
    Pigbear Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options

I'm same as this lady here and you, except I eat almost 1700kcals.
  • poma91
    poma91 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I will increase my calories for a week or two to see what if that has some result :)
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Best Comment!