Hello all new and on ORLISTAT

Options
Just thought id introduce myself... went to the docs 2 weeks ago and was put on Orlistat to help with weight loss.. lost 4lb in my first week... Second weigh in tomorrow... Anyone else using Orlistat?

Replies

• ashleegil
    ashleegil Posts: 26
    Options
    This is the same as OTC Alli in case anyone isn't aware of that, I used Alli for a little while but it didn't help me at all really as I don't have a regular high fats diet. It's the carbs and sugars that kill me!
  • hikr00
    hikr00 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Orlistat but I have heard of Alli.

No, I've never used it. I have lost 48.6 lbs since December with 1500 calories a day and keeping my carbs between 150 and 210. I am the carb queen so it's not low carb by any stretch of the imagination but for me that's low. LOL! I could easily eat all my meals in carbs I think.

Welcome to MFP!
  • dairyfood
    Options
    I haven't heard of ORLISTAT. I dont know if we get it here. What does it do?
  • ajfc1971
    ajfc1971 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have been given Orlistat from my Drs but I only took them for a few days. Didn't have the usual side affects but they have caused constipation now for about 2 wks. The reason I went to get them is because I have plateued for a few mths now.

I have lost 46lbs up to now and am just going to stick with it.
    Good luck with your weight loss.
  • chunkybuttt
    chunkybuttt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Orlistat is actually double the strength of Alli....

Im surprised you are suffering from constipation as Im on the other scale lol...

Ill let you know tomorrow if the weight loss is any good on them as the first week I cheated a lot but still lost 4lb.

But then I have stepped up my exercise and stopped cirtain things like bread/full fat coke etc + shared a curry with the hubby rather than 1 to myself.. lol
  • MissObstinatiox
    MissObstinatiox Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on them a couple of years a go and although they are good if you have a high fat diet ,as you just poop it all out in a oily poop.
    But in the long term its Not great when you don,t adjust your diet as if you keep on with the same high fat diet when you stop taking them ,you gain a lot of weight back.
  • donnareadman7
    donnareadman7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Orlistat is actually double the strength of Alli....

Im surprised you are suffering from constipation as Im on the other scale lol...

Ill let you know tomorrow if the weight loss is any good on them as the first week I cheated a lot but still lost 4lb.

But then I have stepped up my exercise and stopped cirtain things like bread/full fat coke etc + shared a curry with the hubby rather than 1 to myself.. lol

I've been taking them for 5 weeks and think they are great, just like you.
    for the other person, i'm definitely not bunged up at all, maybe you arent eating much fat in your meals, if so you dont need to take with a meal unless there is a good amount of fat in that meal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Orlistat and Alli not only work on ridding bad fat, but good fat and other micronutrients as well. So ironically one will take it to get rid of fat, but have to supplement back with fat (since it's essential for the body daily).

Why not just learn how to eat correctly? What happens once you quit it? Drugs aren't the answer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Bioc
    Bioc Posts: 96
    Options
    I'm on Orlistat.
  • chunkybuttt
    Options
    4lb first week
    3lb second week

Half a stone in 2 weeks ...

I needed something more other than dieting alone/eating right/exercising...

I haven't always been fat!! Only since my second child have I struggled..

The tabs are working ok for me and they suit me, so onwards we go..
  • chunkybuttt
    Options
    have you lost 20lb since you started taking them?
  • chunkybuttt
    Options
    I'm on Orlistat.

For how long?
  • Bioc
    Options
    I'm on Orlistat.

For how long?

Been on it for a week, why? Only side effect for me is if I go over 30g of fat a day.. I get oil in my poop and the runs :/ lol.
  • chunkybuttt
    Options
    I'm on Orlistat.

For how long?

Been on it for a week, why? Only side effect for me is if I go over 30g of fat a day.. I get oil in my poop and the runs :/ lol.

Lol yup I know that feeling haha.... im starting week 3 on them tomorrow ....

good luck with your weight loss hun x
  • Brenda4105
    Brenda4105 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I tried this years ago when it first came out. OMG! It gave me the worst gas you can imagine and the runnys - it was god awful ugly. I quit taking it after 3 days.

Learning to eat better is what I think the key is. Well any way for me.
  • Bioc
    Options
    I'm on Orlistat.

For how long?

Lol yup I know that feeling haha.... im starting week 3 on them tomorrow ....

good luck with your weight loss hun x

Thanks babes ♥