Sugar in Fruit

Options
I keep going over my sugar limit because of fruit.

I'm allowed 27 but just 2 bananas will go over that.

We're always encouraged to eat more fruit but seems like I have to eat next to no fruit to be within my sugar limit.

Do any of you not add fruit to your diary or not care about going over sugar because of fruit?

Replies

• Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Eat more veg instead :)
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about fruit sugar! As long as it's natural sugar there's no reason to freak out on it.
    MFP sets a REALLY low sugar limit, anyways!
  • yhikmat
    yhikmat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it! As long as you keep it within your carb intake & calories intake, it won't hurt you, especially sugar coming from fruits.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Sugar in fruit is different to refined sugar. As long as your eating a balanced diet I would nit worry too much about sugar in fruit
  • ninja_loss
    ninja_loss Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was worried about that too, thank you everyone for your replies :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The MFP target is really low - one piece of fruit will put you over. I think the UK recommended daily limit is 90g per day, well in excess of what MFP suggests. So I don't get stressed if I see my sugar number in the red, I just look and see where it's come from.
  • CharMaroc
    CharMaroc Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys !
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored. As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings. If this isn't the case for you there's no need to limit sugar.
  • ochubbycheekso
    Options
    Im trying to keep away from fruit and just add in a couple of extra portions of veg in the day (brocolli for breakfast with some eggs)
  • splitdog79
    splitdog79 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The thing with fructose you need to remember is that it comes, of course, in fruit mainly. Many fruits have tons of soluble fiber in them, which regulates the rate at which the body absorbs sugars and produces glucose.

So while I try not to go too nuts on fruit since there is a lot of sugar in it generally, I eat a ton of fiber in a day and it's important to note that the source of the sugar matters much. Juice is often viewed as a healthy food but has all the sugar of a fruit but with often none of the fiber.

Here's a good link with the amounts of fructose in many fruits:
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Fiber-Fruits-209893

And here's a decent article regarding how fiber regulates glucose levels:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/397677-how-do-high-fiber-foods-regulate-blood-sugar-levels/
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with consuming a reasonable amount of fruit daily. There is way too much false info floating around that is scaring people away from fruit because people say "it's a carb and therefore it's gonna make you fat".

https://www.muscleforlife.com/do-fructose-and-fruit-make-you-fat-and-unhealthy/
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sugar in fruit is different to refined sugar. As long as your eating a balanced diet I would nit worry too much about sugar in fruit

O rly? comparing lets say sucrose in an apple and sucrose in a sugar dish, how are they different exactly?
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I keep going over my sugar limit because of fruit.

I'm allowed 27 but just 2 bananas will go over that.

We're always encouraged to eat more fruit but seems like I have to eat next to no fruit to be within my sugar limit.

Do any of you not add fruit to your diary or not care about going over sugar because of fruit?

You don't want to look at my diary today then ; )

Sugar is carbs, carbs are good. Adjust your macros in the food diary settings goal bit (change goals I think the tab is called)...to whatever you choose.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Turn off the sugar tracking.

Fixed.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I don't really pay much attention to my sugar consumption. I only have sugar in my morning coffee and I eat 2-3 pieces of fruit/day. After just 2 months of this, my A1C dropped from 6.8 to 5.9. As long as I eat daily fruit instead of daily ice cream, cookies, cakes and candy, I'm in good shape.
  • Torkelle
    Torkelle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You could also try eating fruit lower on the glycemic scale. Bananas and tropical fruits are loaded in sugar, but berries and such are much better.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Are you watching sugar intake for a medical reason? If you are, all sugars count, whether it's from cookies or bananas. Otherwise, the American Heart Association recommends limiting added sugars to about 6 teaspoons for women and 9 for men.
  • pearlmorning
    pearlmorning Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked this question because I'm new to mfp (two weeks) so I have been trying to stay in the specs. No matter what I do at the end of the day my sugar is in the red and I can't reach the calorie goal. My medical focus is on lowering my cholesterol and salt. My weight loss goal is to lose 50#.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

O rly? comparing lets say sucrose in an apple and sucrose in a sugar dish, how are they different exactly?

I'd like to hear the answer to this as well.
  • persistantone
    persistantone Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Fiber.

Not saying to go crazy on fruit. 2-3 servings a day is good enough. Even though your body will process the sugar in a strawberry differently than the sugar in a spoonful of sugar in the raw, it doesn't mean it's okay to eat tons of fruit all the time. Sugar really is still sugar.