HATE Working Out

Options
Does anyone else out there HATE working out? All I hear is, "It gives me energy and makes me feel so good!" I get grumpy, and dread it. I try to get in at least 3 workouts (30-40 min) a week, but I am struggling to find the motivation. Any tips!?!

Oh and I should mention, I travel for work, and am gone 4-5 days a week.

13594206.png

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Find something you like. Swimming, fitness videos, TRX, dance, weights, running. It is limitless. Sooner or later you are bound to find something you like. And there are countless workouts you can do while not home. Google ideas and try stuff until you find something you enjoy.

Also, this may sound stupid, bit sick it up and try and stay positive. Walking into anything dreading it and hating it is going to be a self fullfilling prophecy.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else out there HATE working out? All I hear is, "It gives me energy and makes me feel so good!" I get grumpy, and dread it. I try to get in at least 3 workouts (30-40 min) a week, but I am struggling to find the motivation. Any tips!?!

Oh and I should mention, I travel for work, and am gone 4-5 days a week.

13594206.png

The reason you hate it is because you are doing the wrong sort of exercise for you.

Find something you really enjoy and exercise will no longer seem like a chore you detest, but something you look forward to.
  • ravenwork
    ravenwork Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Jorean. There are so many options. Drop what isn't working, and find something you like. It is out there! The point is some enjoyable activity that elevates your heart-rate for an extended period of time. Have fun with it. I am absolutely certain you can.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Find something you like. Swimming, fitness videos, TRX, dance, weights, running. It is limitless. Sooner or later you are bound to find something you like. And there are countless workouts you can do while not home. Google ideas and try stuff until you find something you enjoy.

Hula hooping, biking, hiking, team sports, kayaking, sailing, gardening, get a job cleaning houses, volunteer at habitat for humanity, fitness trails, aerial silks, acroyoga...

If you aren't hooked after a month, try something else.
  • scottdeeby
    scottdeeby Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You know what sucks (for me) about "exercise"? The lack of measurable progress. Especially **** like cardio workout vids.

That's one reason that I like to lift weights: progress happens consistently, and it's measurable. If you're a goal-oriented person, this might do it for you.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Definitely find something you enjoy. It will never work any other way.

When I first started working out I hated it, too. I was not consistent. Then I remembered how much I loved bicycling when I was a kid & bought a bike. That did the trick. It also led me to want to try other forms of exercise.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I used to hate to workout too until I heard Jillian Michaels on her podcast actually say, SHE HATED WORKING OUT. She said its a chore and can't wait until its over. I thought "hell if Jillian Michaels hates working out, but have been able to make a career out of it, then I can get through 30 or 40 minutes. Now I actually love working out and look forward to it, I've also found workouts that I like, so it no longer feels like a chore.

I workout from home with various DVD and online workouts, I'm sure you can find some online workout routines you can do in your hotel room.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm one my body hates movement. I took a 30 minute walk yesterday and ended up with blisters! It really doesn't matter what I do it always ends up hurting.
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I hate working out while I am doing it, but afterwords I feel so accomplished. That is when I feel good, sore, and a little tired. I would suggest doing something you don't think of as exercise. I love to swim because I don't feel sweaty or exhausted. I also like Zumba videos on you tube, but if I am actually "exercising" I do videos like Insanity or ones like that on the BeFit channel on you tube. Once you get in a groove things well get easier. Until then find something that makes you happy even if it doesn't burn as many calories as you would like, because the enjoyment is what will make you continue and feel good.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I'm one my body hates movement. I took a 30 minute walk yesterday and ended up with blisters! It really doesn't matter what I do it always ends up hurting.

You have to be consistent. Depending on where your blisters are, you may also need better fitting shoes.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Some great advice!

I'm all for doing sports over abstract exercise. When I was in my twenties, I used to skateboard or rollerblade 3-4 hours every night. because I loved it. Turns out it burns loooaaads of calories. No wonder I could eat anything I wanted. :laugh:
  • MadamUnique
    MadamUnique Posts: 173
    Options
    Yeah, I hate it too. I feel uncomfortable and just feel blugh. But once I'm doing it? Drinking water and that. I feel slightly better. I love the treadmill, used it so much when I went GYM. But can't afford it now, so I bought myself an exercise bike.. eh its okay. But can't wait to drop 60lbs to I can take up jogging! Then lose the rest of my weight :)
  • BlairW_13
    BlairW_13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of working out either, unless it's playing sports which usually require other people to play with me and that's not always easy to match everyone's schedule, but the way I trick myself into doing it is by watching something. I have an elliptical and the only way I let myself watch my favorite shows is by being on the elliptical. Now I look forward to it because I want to watch the shows!
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Oh my no! I'm in love with working out! =) Its my medicine for headaches, aches, and boredom.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I travel for work a lot too and Pinterest saved me! Do you have it? I pinned some workouts that are great to do in your hotel room.

http://pinterest.com/alpine1994/fitness-for-travel/

Some of the workouts can be done with resistance bands, which are really easy to pack in a suitcase. I got the "medium" strength band with handles at Target for about $10.

I've gone into workouts dreading them too, but I feel so much better afterwards. Last night at 9pm I forced myself to do a 30 minute Jillian Michaels DVD on 3 hours of sleep. It's the LAST thing I wanted to do, but I forced myself and felt great during and after.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    What do you enjoy? I know i really like martial arts, so that would be the best option for me if i hated exercise.

sooooo maybe, swimming, rollerblading, wood chopping, err...dance dance revolution?
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    When I started I hated it. Worse it was boring. Then I started seeing results and was hooked. A year later I feel like a slob on days I don't work out. It takes time.

Look for incentives. That will become your motivation.

I use to travel for work too. Having a fitness oriented team helped motivate me. If you don't have that around you it can be hard.
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Is your diary accurate? If so, you don't need to be exercising if that is all you are eatting. Eat to fuel your body, and you might enjoy exercise more.
  • vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Totally HATED every form of exercise, and I tried them all. Everyone kept saying "find something you like", but that was the problem. It didn't exist. I simply did not enjoy any form of exercise. But I was desperate to lose weight, so I applied my life's philosophy to working out...FFF (Feelings Follow Form). Often we don't want to do what we know we need to do, but if you do something long enough and with the right mindset, I can totally testify it results in a change of your feelings.

This happened with me and running. Of all the things I was told to try, this one I hated the most, but for various schedule/calorie burn/family reasons, I decided to apply FFF to this one and start mixing my walks with periodic (like 1/4 mile) jogs. Three months later I ran my first 5K, and here we are a year later and I absolutely LOVE running. I've run a few 5Ks, one 10K and am training for a 15K. I love my run days and will sneak in a run whenever I can.

It's impossible for you to hate exercise as much as I did. Truly. And it may take months for you to experience a change in that. But if you stick with it long enough ("it" being defined as something, anything, you decide it to be), you will have nothing to lose, and everything to gain!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I hated being unhealthy and out of shape so I found some things that I liked to do! Keep trying new things until something makes you happy.