HATE Working Out

Options

Replies

• meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Stop hating it, and start loving it.
    what is it your doing exactly? what routine, what exercise?

I found running years ago and i've never quit it.
  • youareorange
    youareorange Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It doesn't give me energy but I feel better knowing I did something good for my body. The best is to find something you like to do. For me, I have a goal in mind and I enjoy making my body work for it. I like running so I've been doing that lately. It's hard to find motivation in something you don't like to do and feel like it's a chore.

Group fitness classes are always fun - you have the instructor kicking your butt and you can make new friends! I like spinning. Group running clubs, Zumba, boot camps, cardio fit classes, etc.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You know what sucks (for me) about "exercise"? The lack of measurable progress. Especially **** like cardio workout vids.

That's one reason that I like to lift weights: progress happens consistently, and it's measurable. If you're a goal-oriented person, this might do it for you.

I disagree with the first statement. I was doing Insanity until i got a back injury and i definitely saw progess. Like, i used to have to pause during the warm-up and would drip sweat all the while. when i could make it through without pausing, i knew i was doing work ;D

http://healthysexyhappy.tumblr.com/moveyourassnow
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Me, but I hated being 351 pounds and unfit even more. I work out every day, just moments after my feet hit the floor in the morning, so that it isn't looming over my head as a task that will need done later. For *me*, working out isn't an option, so I just suck it up and do it. Haven't had a day yet where I thought, "Gee, I wish I hadn't exercised" once it was over.
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Is your diary accurate? If so, you don't need to be exercising if that is all you are eatting. Eat to fuel your body, and you might enjoy exercise more.

Totally agree with this! 730 calories for a whole day? That's putting you at malnourished.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I actually don't like cardio unless it's dance-related. So, I became a Zumba Instructor! If left to my own devices, I'd skip it, but knowing that there are 15 people relying on me gets me motivated to keep going! I've been teaching over a year now!

On the other hand - I LOVE lifting weights! I'm VERY goal-oriented, so keeping a lifting log and watching my strength increase is a HUGE bonus for me! Also, watching my bum and my "girls" begin to win the fight against gravity is extremely satisfying to me! I just turned 39 last week and was told by one of the people at the gym that they thought I was 25...30 tops!

Find something you love to do. Keep trying new things until you find that one thing that clicks for you. For me - it was lifting weights.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ALL!!!
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You know what sucks (for me) about "exercise"? The lack of measurable progress. Especially **** like cardio workout vids.

That's one reason that I like to lift weights: progress happens consistently, and it's measurable. If you're a goal-oriented person, this might do it for you.

You can get measurable results from cardio videos. Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred shows measurable results quite quickly. Watching my tummy get tighter and my thighs get smaller was a major benefit that kept me going!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm one my body hates movement. I took a 30 minute walk yesterday and ended up with blisters! It really doesn't matter what I do it always ends up hurting.

You have to be consistent. Depending on where your blisters are, you may also need better fitting shoes.

Exercise always hurts in the beginning, you just have to keep going until it gets better and then challenge yourself again.

As far the blisters, try Dr. Scholls moleskin. Cut it to fit the parts where you blister the most. If you have blisters already, they also make padded moleskin. place it AROUND the blister but not on it. You'll be amazed. Also, look in to getting shoes that are designed for your specific exercise and fitted for you.
  • DanaMcLeod
    DanaMcLeod Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    so glad to see someone feels this way. I USED to be one that loved working out (once I was done... lol)I just feel awful and want to cry thinking about really working out walking my dog is a struggle but it also doesn't help me lose much. I do understand. I have some illnesses that play a part, now alleregies, and next who knows what else. Don't help any but to know your not alone now to puch past it right? easier said than done though.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options

I can mark cardio progress by my ability to run faster and farther. It started from walking 4mph for half an hour to intermittent jogging 6mph with walking 4mph, to jogging 6mph for a half hour, til eventually I can run 10km in less than an hour.

Try the http://www.c25k.com/ program and you'll have measurable cardio progress.

Plus, you'll be ready for the alien robozombie apocalypse because you'll be a pirate ninja.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    You will find something eventually, you just have to keep trying.

For me, its running and dancing (I'm getting back into strength training because for a while i got bored), and honestly, I have started to become more confident.

Something will click with you.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else out there HATE working out? All I hear is, "It gives me energy and makes me feel so good!" I get grumpy, and dread it. I try to get in at least 3 workouts (30-40 min) a week, but I am struggling to find the motivation. Any tips!?!

Oh and I should mention, I travel for work, and am gone 4-5 days a week.

13594206.png

Get to know Jillian Michaels - she is a great motivator. I hated working out too, but I started her Body Revolution. It's a different workout everyday and only 30 min a day. She makes you feel awesome and I never get bored with her workouts.
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way!!!! Warmer weather does help me (a little).

I'd suggest making yoru workouts more like 20-25min but more intense if you can, or if shorter and not intense, try to mofe 20min every day.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I DETESTED EXERCISE - IT TOOK ME ABOUT 20 YEARS OF DANCING FOR EXERCISE BEFORE I STARTED DOING OTHER THINGS. BUT SEE I LOVE DANCING, DID IT FOR 45 TO 60 MINUTES A DAY. ONCE I BROKE DOWN AND DID SOMETHING ELSE, I DIDNT HATE IT ANY MORE. BUT 20 YEARS IS A LONG TIME TO DISCOVER SOMETHING. MY DANCING KEPT ME IN SHAPE. ONCE I HIT 55 THOUGH, THAT METAB STOPPED AND I GAINED 50 POUNDS!!!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of working out either, unless it's playing sports which usually require other people to play with me and that's not always easy to match everyone's schedule, but the way I trick myself into doing it is by watching something. I have an elliptical and the only way I let myself watch my favorite shows is by being on the elliptical. Now I look forward to it because I want to watch the shows!

I do this alot as well. I like to time it to get to the gym right as a sporting event is starting and watch the first half on the treadmill. Run during the event and walk the commericals.

ETA: Also as other's have said, you have to find something you enjoy and can stick too. My mom likes to walk the dog and go to dance class. Guy at my work likes group fitness classes and runs a class. Another guy at work is a basketball junkie and plays pick up bball at 4 different places every week. I could go on and on. Some absolutely love lifting and do no cardio at all unless its playing with their kids.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I hate walking into the gym, but I love walking out drenched in sweat, so it balances.
  • grandmastime
    grandmastime Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try doing different excersizes on different days. such as one day i walk for cardio and the next day i ride my bike. Also one day i do calistenics and the next day i do weight training. I keep changing up so my excersizing is new and different. Also find a friend to excersize with. Walk or ride with someone else if possible. having someone with you helps keep it interesting and someone to talk with or compete with.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Just got to find something you love. As my main work out I play Dance Dance Revolution! I love it! And it's something I can easily get me to do when I'm having one of those days where I don't want to do ANYTHING!
  • knittinlady
    knittinlady Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I hated exercise, until I found something that I love to do. I use dance fitness that I found on youtube. The channel is "refitrev"; it's normal-sized women, dancing to good music (some of it is Christian music, which I love), fully clothed. I can let my kids workout with me, and I don't have to worry about what lyrics they're learning. Each video is 3-4 minutes long, so I just pick and choose with ones I want to do. Some days I do a whole bunch; other days I only do a few. But either way, I enjoy it, so I keep going. And I'm seeing results! :)