Creatine?

Options
I am trying to lose fat AND build muscle mass at the same time...I am doing Cardio and Jillian Michael's 30 day shred at least 5 days a week. Should I drink creatine for muscle growth? My husband used to drink it when he was trying to bulk up only, not lose weight. So Im just wondering if it would help me or hurt me. I know that the more muscle mass you have the more calories you will burn just doing everyday things, and that's part of why Im wanting to build muscle and shed fat at the same time, but I also want to build muscle while losing fat so that I don't lose muscle instead of fat while dieting and working out (if that makes any sense to anyone but me, lol)

Replies

• belligerent599
    Options
    Most women do not like creatine because it will make the scale go up as your muscles retain water. It will also make your muscles look a bit more "swole."

If the only thing you are doing for strength is 30DS, taking creatine will do zero for you except make you frustrated at the scale. If you do actual weight lifting, it will help with your strength gains by giving you a bit more energy and this will cause you to build more muscle.

Do something other than 30DS if you want to build muscles. Lift heavy. Jillian's thingy isn't really strength training although if you are going from sedentary to 30DS it is better than nothing.

tl;dr- I doubt you want to take creatine. I cycle creatine sometimes. Look at my profile pic. Creatine (and years of lifting weights) will turn you into that.
  • sarahDickson501
    sarahDickson501 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    well, I don't want man muscles, just a lil bit of muscle definition. the # on the scale is not as important to me as the size of clothes and how they look on me. And I can pull hubbys weights out of storage and start lifting again, unless I could just up the weights I do on the 30DS there are strength moves in that, just with light weights wont see much muscle growth. I love chest flys, dumbbell rows and weighted sit ups, im just trying to get back into the game :) I am aware that inch per inch muscle weighs more than fat.
  • belligerent599
    Options
    well, I don't want man muscles, just a lil bit of muscle definition. the # on the scale is not as important to me as the size of clothes and how they look on me. And I can pull hubbys weights out of storage and start lifting again, unless I could just up the weights I do on the 30DS there are strength moves in that, just with light weights wont see much muscle growth. I love chest flys, dumbbell rows and weighted sit ups, im just trying to get back into the game :) I am aware that inch per inch muscle weighs more than fat.

I am not a man.

While you could up the weights to do 30DS with (I do it with 20's and 12's, in addition to running and 3DAW full body lifting with heavy weights), you run the risk of injuring something trying to keep up with Natalie and Whosits. It is easy to use bad form on 30DS and injure yourself, which is why the girls in the video are using tiny weights. It is more of a "difficult cardio workout" than it is a real lifting routine.

To get more definition, losing bodyfat is key. Abs are made in the kitchen, etc.

Muscle is more dense than fat; it is not heavier. I weigh 150 but people are surprised when I tell them that.

Creatine won't give you thicker muscle fibers, it will pump them full of water which will give you a slight boost in energy and will help you lift heavier (arguably) so that you can tear your muscles and regrow them bigger. I wouldn't worry about creatine at this point.
  • sarahDickson501
    sarahDickson501 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

I am not a man.

While you could up the weights to do 30DS with (I do it with 20's and 12's, in addition to running and 3DAW full body lifting with heavy weights), you run the risk of injuring something trying to keep up with Natalie and Whosits. It is easy to use bad form on 30DS and injure yourself, which is why the girls in the video are using tiny weights. It is more of a "difficult cardio workout" than it is a real lifting routine.

To get more definition, losing bodyfat is key. Abs are made in the kitchen, etc.

Muscle is more dense than fat; it is not heavier. I weigh 150 but people are surprised when I tell them that.

Creatine won't give you thicker muscle fibers, it will pump them full of water which will give you a slight boost in energy and will help you lift heavier (arguably) so that you can tear your muscles and regrow them bigger. I wouldn't worry about creatine at this point.

Im Sorry! I thought by the way you said most women stay away from it, that you was not one. I really am sorry. you should put your face on your profile pic, your name is no hint as to male/female ;)
  • dluce2569
    dluce2569 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Creatine is more for men/women who do alot of heavy lifting. I used to take creatine and many other supplements. So, I would say not needed for what your doing now. I still lift weights, but I get muscle gain out of diet: Ample protein intake, and healthy carbs..and lots of water. Does Jillians Shred plan come with meal plans and diet info. The right nutrition and macronutrients you can make muscle without supplements like creatine.