Starting 10k novice training... care to run with me?

Options

Replies

• JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Last night I ended up spending an hour on the Wii fit... I was just going to do a little bit, then I got on the Island Cycling, and thought I'd try the expert level and ended up taking an hour to find all the flags!.

This morning I went to the gym and got in 12 laps in 25 minutes before I had to get out of the pool because a class was starting. I'll find something else to do later today to get up to 40 minutes of cross-training today.

Go for the 10k!
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I didnt wake up early enough for my run and reading that Jan did cross train made me look back at the schedule and realize I've been looking at the wrong day..today is cross train not 3 mil run.

Which leads me to say...I joined a running club a month ago and we run every Saturday morning and are training for a half/full marathon that is being held in January 2011so we are at the VERY beginning of this training, and the schedule they have us on seems to go perfectly inline with this 10k training EXCEPT i just realized they have us running on Saturday and cross Training on Sunday.

So my only modifications to our schedule may be that I need to switch my Sat & Sun training.
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Whatever works best for you! :-)
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    I got in my 3 miles on the treadmill (3.3 actually) and then had a 5 lap "cool down" in the pool "ahhhhh"
  • Jessica68
    Options
    awesome - keep it up!
  • Jessica68
    Options
    Got my training done today - and since I swapped Sat & Sun I didnt run today, I ended up working out for 30 minutes with the dumbbells and did lunges. This is also cross train I hope? I sort of think of cross train as anything other than running. hmm..maybe I'll look into it.

okay..it is another form to cross-train so I'm good.

http://running.about.com/od/trainingessentials/a/crosstraining_3.htm
  • tyandgil01
    tyandgil01 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm in..I have started training for a 10K race myself. I'm on week 2. It's a very very similar plan to that one. So I'll give it a whirl. I'm really excited and looking forward to the journey ahead.
  • LifeofEd
    LifeofEd Posts: 1
    Options
    Starting late but I am in. I have a 10K scheduled in September and just finished my 5K race in June. Its hot out so it is definately work to get through the runs. Where can I find the program?
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Oh goodie More runners! Today was strengthen and stretch day. I did a level 1 workout from the 30 day shred tonight followed by 30 fit credits of wii fit yoga. Tomorrow is a 2.5 mile run.
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    The link to the plan I'm following is on the first page of this thread, first post. Here is another 10k plan a friend recommended. http://jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html#10k
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Today's 2.5 mile run has been completed. I had some trouble breathing while running, so I had to take some walk breaks. Fortunately on this plan the goal is the distance not the time :-) So I got the distance I needed in.
  • Jessica68
    Options
    WELCOME ...good to have you both join us and now it seems a few of us have a Sept 10k Race - cool!

I am behind this week..I have missed Mon & Tues but will hop right back on track today!
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    hello everyone, sorry I have been vaccant this week!

I got in 2 days of weight training with a trainer and 2 days of spinning for an hour and a run on saturday and monday and tomorrow :) i had to adjust the training schedule a little bit based on my work schedule and the 3/hrs a day commuting that I am lucky enough to do :) *note the sarcasm lol*

How is everyone else finding the program? i managed 4km in the first run and 4.5 int he second, so Im hoping I can break the 5km in my run tomorrow. im just coming off a reoccuring knee issue, so its a little slower to get started!

Cheers,
    Carrie
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Today's cross-train was 30 day shred level 1 and 10 wii fit credits. I used 5lb weights tonight - made it much harder than the other day, but I finished the whole thing.

Good job Jessica and Maddiebabe!
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    I completed today's 2 mile run and strength training.
  • mollymoo89
    mollymoo89 Posts: 202
    Options
    I completed my 3 mile run and did strength training. Looking forward to resting tomorrow since I did 5 miles Wednesday for some odd reason. I had been sick earlier in the week and did nothing Monday and Tuesday so I wanted to run Wednesday. My goal was 3.5 but I just kept on going. Never ran that far before and probably won't for a while lol. I'm going to do better about posting on here. Great job so far everyone! I live in Ga but I will be doing the Hershey half marathon in Pennsylvania in October!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP folks! Fourth of July celebrations are over, and It's back to running for me. I'm starting Hal Higdon's novice 10k running program - care to run with me? I've never run a 10k. I started running a year ago with couch to 5k, but haven't taken that next step up to the 10k. I'm slow, grey and still about 35 lbs overweight, so - a sight to see plodding along the roadside. I hope you'll run with me! C25k was so much easier when running with MFP friends!

Here's the plan.
    http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.pdf

Good luck with the 10k training! You won't be 35lb overweight by the time you are finished that's for sure, six and a quarter miles running is good going for definite! :flowerforyou:
  • Jessica68
    Options
    I'm having trouble getting my runs in and my workouts we have my 2 grand kids this summer (18months & 5yrs old) so that's what has changed for me but I'm trying to find a goods schedule to manage it all!

Lets hope I get in a run tomorrow!
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Hello MFP folks! Fourth of July celebrations are over, and It's back to running for me. I'm starting Hal Higdon's novice 10k running program - care to run with me? I've never run a 10k. I started running a year ago with couch to 5k, but haven't taken that next step up to the 10k. I'm slow, grey and still about 35 lbs overweight, so - a sight to see plodding along the roadside. I hope you'll run with me! C25k was so much easier when running with MFP friends!

Here's the plan.
    http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.pdf

Good luck with the 10k training! You won't be 35lb overweight by the time you are finished that's for sure, six and a quarter miles running is good going for definite! :flowerforyou:

Thanks for reminding me :-) Sometimes it feels like I'll never get to my goal!
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    I'm having trouble getting my runs in and my workouts we have my 2 grand kids this summer (18months & 5yrs old) so that's what has changed for me but I'm trying to find a goods schedule to manage it all!

Lets hope I get in a run tomorrow!

What fun playing with grandkids!