Going to see doctor re: fatigue and no weight loss-help

Options
Okay so I have an appointment to go see my doctor on Thursday. I have been feeling "draggy' and tired for months now and it isnt abating. It is starting to affect my runs in that I feel the fatigue while running as well.

What things should I talk to the doctor about? I have been taking two supplements, one of which is an iron supplement and the other is a multivitamin (new chapter organics).

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Being tired could be due to not eating enough.

Have them do blood work. Check for iron and vitamin issues. Personally if I don't take my B vitamin I am exhausted. I believe a shortage of vitamin D could do the same.

Print off your food diary to bring with you. The more information they have the better for figuring out what is causing it.

How much are you sleeping? Too little or too much could cause you to be tired as well.
  • kenj13
    kenj13 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're going to doctor, as I'm sure they can provide more help than any of us. Maybe you should show you're doctor your MFP food diary and they might be able to give you more insight into your fatigue (i.e., after viewing your macros, water in-take, etc.) . I've scanned your food diary and noticed some inconsistencies in your protein/fat in-take (i.e., really low one day, really high the next) and no water. Again, I'm not a medical professional, but these variations might be affecting your runs. Good luck and I hope you get some good/positive news from the doctor. :smile:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    yes, get a blood test - that will show anything you need to supplement and they can also check cortisol levels and for things like diabetes etc.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Well I dont track my water since I over drink enough every day. I have at least 10 servings of water by the time I leave work and that doesnt include anything I have at home with dinner.

Sigh. I am just tired of being tired. ugh.
  • psss53
    psss53 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Blood work is important! You could have a thyroid issue, with increased exercise it is important to keep protein intact up as well.
    Hope all is well with just a little help from your MD
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,126 Member
    Options
    Well, you say on your profile:

BMR-1558
    TDEE-2415
    Daily-1900

Yet you have your food set to 1380 cals a day. You only have 20ish pounds to lose, you're young and taking care of a family and you're a runner.

If you were to start eating enough, you'd feel a lot better. Like 2000-2100 a day.

I'd be in bed 10 hours a day if I ate like you do.

Here, this will help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • RenewedRunner
    Options
    Well, you say on your profile:

BMR-1558
    TDEE-2415
    Daily-1900

Yet you have your food set to 1380 cals a day. You only have 20ish pounds to lose, you're young and taking care of a family and you're a runner.

If you were to start eating enough, you'd feel a lot better. Like 2000-2100 a day.

I'd be in bed 10 hours a day if I ate like you do.

Here, this will help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

But I have a desk job so I sit for 8 hours a day. I run 4 days a week adn on those days I definitely eat back my calories. The whole 'activity level" thing for MFP is a little disconcerting. And I have been pondering increasing my food....so maybe in addition to the bloodwork, talk to the doctor about that??
  • seestellarun13_1
    seestellarun13_1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A doctor is definitely a trained professional, I am not but I'm the same way. I sit at desk for 7 hours but for the other morning work outs, activity on the weekends, non-stop when I get home with the family...I increased my caloric intake and oddly had more energy...and I lost crazy inches and pounds. Once the baby goes down I'm making food, cleaning, picking up and getting ready for my morning workout. So bedtime is around 9:30/10pm and I'm up by 4:30am...lack of sleep can cause weight gain. I know I've recommended this to you before but try the caloric increase. You are doing great, you just may need some adjustments at this point. And there is nothing wrong with that!

Just an (funny) FYI before my caloric increase I fell asleep in a business meeting...maybe not so funny??
  • Kathymomof4
    Options
    had this same problem recently and was told I wasn't eating enough so I increased my calories and I have more energy. But blood work is also important just to be on the safe side! :wink:
  • RenewedRunner
    Options
    All right, fingers crossed, let's try upping the calories. I am ready to not be falling asleep on my drive TO work!

if I update it to lightly active, it puts me at 1530 for daily. With normal activity burns of around 300 or so, that puts me at 1800ish. This should be good right? Cause TDEE rolls my activity in to it already....
  • seestellarun13_1
    seestellarun13_1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I found this to be very helpful: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/