Looking for fellow Breastfeeding Mommas!

Options
As anyone whose been here knows, post-partum weight loss is one thing. But doing it while exclusively breastfeeding is a whole other tricky thing! Would love to hook up with women who are in the same position to encourage each other.

Any stage of post-partum/breastfeeding welcome! My little one is 6 months old... so about to start solids and I expect that will change things for me!

Replies

• stacnm
    stacnm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 3 weeks from my due date and anticipate being a breasfeeding mama. Feel free to add me, would be great to have you as a friend. :-)
  • rosiewiklund
    Options
    Hey! I'm nursing a 5 month old and occasionally a 2 year old! I have added nursing as a "exercise" and asked my fitness pal to subtract 300 calories per day for it. This gives you the 300+ calories a nursing mother needs. (A mother nursing a newborn or multiples may need 600+ extra calories per day to maintain her milk supply) But making milk isn't all about just calories. WHAT you eat matters a lot. Healthy fats make healthy milk! It IS possible to lose weight while maintaining your milk supply-I've done it once already (and got pregnant again.) =) This is an excellent resource; http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/
  • GoffGirl1029
    GoffGirl1029 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi! My little man is 11 months old, I definitely plan on continuin' to bf until he is a year old, but will probably still nurse him when he wakes up in the mornin' and before he goes to bed at night. until he weans himself :) feel free to add me!
  • lstok873
    lstok873 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm nursing a 5 month old as well, little bugger started his solids already. I got my pregnancy weight off with Insanity & tracking calories. Now I'm repeating a second round of Insanity to try to get a permanent better body back...at least 10-15 more pounds...more even better. I've been losing 1-2 a week consistently, and no issues with milk. Feel free to add me if you want!
  • tbhoover
    tbhoover Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am currently 2 weeks pp and exclusively breastfeeding. I am not actively calorie counting right now but will be at 6 weeks pp. It is very tricky. When my son was breastfeeding it took me forever to find the balance that would allow me to lose weight, not be hungry, and not lose my supply. I am always starving when i have a nursing baby. I gained weight after both my older kiddos were born because I never felt full. So my main goal at this point is to NOT gain weight this time.
  • GinE73
    GinE73 Posts: 68
    Options
    I myself am no longer bf'g but I belong to the "Post-Partum Group" where there are plenty of super supportive bf'g moms. Feel free to join! =)
  • line7685
    line7685 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello,
    I am nursing a 2-month old baby; I am breastfeeding exclusively. I have 13 kgs to lose. Please feel free to add me.
  • LWAF
    LWAF Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am nursing an almost 5 month old. I am 41 with 36 pounds to lose this year, and another 34 to lose the following year. (I am setting very reachable, realistic goals for myself!)

Feel free to add me too!
  • touughcookie360
    Options
    I'm also nursing a 5 month old! I gained a lot of weight during pregnancy and I recently started gaining again while bf'ing. I would love to support you in your goals and be supported as well. This is my first post on the forums and my first day back calorie counting. Feel free to add me too :-)

Oh and I'm 30 with 40lbs to lose to get to normal/healthy pre-pregnancy weight.

Any of you ladies can add me BTW!!
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am nursing a 16 month old who drinks about 15 oz of cow's milk a day (along with water and juice), knows the art of dipping his carrots into ketchup, and watches me with glee in his eye as he slowly tries to bite off my tire-rubber nipple. I thought reducing my calories may make him stop. Nope---still loves his teddy boobs, whether they actually produce milk or not. I'm sure that his constant tug along with my weight loss are going to get me into the pages of National Geographic in no time! That's what I'm hoping for anyway.
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I've added you all as friends (when I'm on my phone for checkins I cant see the boards... so I lost track of this thread for a while! lol.

I'm having decent success on BFing weight loss. It's getting more challenging as he goes from exclusive BFing to combo BF/formula/babyfood. I'm cutting my "burned" calories each day- and that means I'm hungry a LOT! lol.

And I'm in that phase of being "really good" and the scale won't budge much. Ugh. But I know I'm due for a drop- I just have ot keep it up.

In good news- I just re-checked my body fat and muscle % on my scale (for the first time in a while) and WOW! I lost 1.5% of fat and gained 1.8% of muscle! So even though I'm not losing, my body is changing!
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Anyone else looking for fellow Post-partum or BFing momma friends?
  • rachpetersen
    rachpetersen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I am exclusively breastfeeding my 5 months old. Any of you lovely ladies feel free to add me. I log daily and try to comment on most things and will support you :)
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I'm currently nursing a 19 month old :). I'm definitely past the stage where I'm including extra calories for breastfeeding (she's just nursing at night so I'm only making a few ounces a day, which doesn't burn much, and I'm no longer concerned with supply because to be quite honest I'm ready for her to stop anytime, haha), but a lot of the tips listed above are GREAT. Breastfeeding can be either a help or a hindrance when it comes to weight loss, depending on a lot of different factors, so just try to strike a balance and remember that your baby only needs your milk for the first year or two of life, and in the grand scheme of things that's just a blip - you have the rest of your life to lose the weight! Good luck to all of you guys!!
  • MissRae123
    MissRae123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm nursing my almost 16mo old. Nows the time to lose when I can still eat a few extra calories. :-) Though he only nurses 4x a day. 2000cals a day is better than 1600
  • MissRae123
    MissRae123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't log my Bfing anymore but make sure to eat enough esp since I'm doing INSANITY
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I am exclusively nursing my 7wk old. I have successfully lost the pregnancy week and haven't had any milk supply problems (knocking on wood). Feel free to add me, I am definitely encouraged to see those who've toned up the post-partum stomachs and reach a point evening healthier pre-pregnancy. That's my goal. I want to set a good example for my baby girl.
  • akadrea
    akadrea Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding a 6 month old now! He just started some solids - wahhh! LOL! This is the 4th child I've nursed, but the first one that I've tracked calories and exercise with.
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Nursing my little 9 month old she is starting some solids but is still nursing for her main source of nutrition. I am 5'0" and have lost about 30lbs all together since having her, but 25 of that was in the last three months eating about 1500 (give or take about 200) cals of clean (ish) food and working out.... Love knowing other breastfeeding mommies, it's such a great thing for you and your child! Add me if you like I'm always open to having new friends!
  • keriberi9
    keriberi9 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm nursing my 9 month old daughter for a few more months. I add the extra 300 calories now since she's only nursing 4-5 times a day. I lost the 15 lbs I gained during pregnancy before I started MFP, now I've lost 51 more since August!! I probably have about 30-40 more to lose. Add me too!